CNC Control System Serial Number: noneB0D5CC84FD36-1026170200
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Spindle Encoder Resolution? <answered>

Post by ShortRun »

BACKGROUND:
I am replacing the Fagor controller on an Hardinge Accuslide with an ACORN controller. To minimize expense I would like to reuse as much of the components as feasible. The spindle is fitted with a Tamagawa Seiki "FA CODER" TS 5458 N 231 encoder. Also on the encoder's label is the following: 51-1024 C/T-L3-5V (presuming 5 volts) Serial # A1477. I have not yet attempted wiring the encoder to the ACORN. I've done an internet search for this encoder to no avail. It has a 10 pin MS style connection. Opening the case reveals only 9 connections are being used and the wire color and pin out relationship. By comparison with other similar encoder wire color and connector schemes, I believe I have the pin out figured out but am left with the following questions.

QUESTIONS :
What is the likely resolution of the encoder? or is there a clever way by experimentation to determine the resolution?

In the event I were to incorrectly wire the encoder to the ACORN bd. spindle encoder input, do I risk damage to the ACORN and/or less importantly, to the encoder?
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Spindle Encoder Resolution?

Post by cnckeith »

the 1024 in the part number probably is 4096 counts per rev or 1024 counts per rev. once wired up its easy to turn the spindle by hand and see the counts in CNC12 setup menu. yes you can damage the acorn encoder port if you wire it wrong.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
ShortRun
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Post by ShortRun »

Thanks for the response cnckieth. Your suggestion on the resolution and way to verify makes sense. As for wiring, caution is the word. When I get ready to do that I'll post my plan and reasoning before proceeding to see if the forum's wisdom advises against or concurs.
Thanks again.
tblough
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

The Tamagawa catalog is attached, but I could not find TS54 series in it. What I did notice is that most of the 9-wire differential encoders use the same wire color scheme:
Capture.PNG
Attachments
1228N60EJ.pdf
(8.48 MiB) Downloaded 76 times
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
ShortRun

Post by ShortRun »

Thank you tblough, for the reply. I had looked at the same info. but the colors didn't seem to jive with the wire colors I found inside the unit going to the solder side of the 10 pin MS female connector. There were no Bn, W, or Org. colors. Following are the connections I found inside the unit.

TERMINAL MARKER --- WIRE COLOR
"A" --- BLUE
"B" --- GREEN
"C" --- YELLOW
"D" --- RED
"E" --- not used
"F" --- BLACK
"G" --- GRAY
"H", "I", "J" --- BLACK

Attached is "Encoder Products Co." Installation and Wiring Guide. While I realize this is not for a Tamagawa encoder it shows on page 11, a pin out (below) for a 10 pin MS connector that intuitively seems a better match up for the wire color/pin combinations I found in my unit.

MARKER --- FUNCTION
"A" --- A+
"B" --- B+
"C" --- Z+
"D" --- +VDC
"E" --- not used
"F" --- COM
"G" --- CASE
"H" --- A-
"I" --- B-
"J" --- Z-

I don't know what to make of it and perhaps the wisest thing to do is to bite the bullet and purchase a new encoder with known connections. I would still like to figure out whats what with the encoder I have. Not giving up quite yet.

Thank you for your efforts, much appreciated.
Attachments
spindle encoder.pdf
(1.64 MiB) Downloaded 75 times
Last edited by ShortRun on Sun May 02, 2021 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

It is likely that the EPC pinout is correct for your Tamagawa encoder. That is something almost like an industry standard.

See, for example, https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/sh ... n1024vwdms

You can test the encoder without risking your control board, simply using a 5VDC supply and a meter. Hook up +5V to pin D (RED) and 0V to pin F (BLK), then measure voltage between pins A and H; between pins B and I; and between pins C and J. If you see a difference of between 3 and 4 VDC across each pair (positive or negative, depending on encoder position) then your pinout is probably right, and you should be safe to go ahead and make a DE9 cable to connect to the control board.
ShortRun

Post by ShortRun »

Thanks cncsnw. Awesome suggestions. Thanks for the link as well. Will do. I thought there ought to be a way to figure things out without risk to anything. I will let you all know how it works out. Everyone has been most helpful and courteous.

THANKS AGAIN !
ShortRun

Post by ShortRun »

cncsnw, your suggestion was right on ! Hooked up as you suggested and all pairs registered either a + or - 3.8 to 3.9 V.
PROBLEM SOLVED ! THANKS.

I haven't tested yet but, cnckeith, your hunch about the resolution, I believe, was also correct (1024 counts) based on the model # chart found on page 7 of the Tamagawa catalog pdf provided by tblough. The "8" in TS5358N seems to confirm your observation of the"1024 C/T" data on the label.

Every body was helpful and on target ! Thanks to ALL.