Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Tormach MicroARC with Acorn?

Post by FlySox »

Tormach's new 4th axis, the MicroARC 4, looks like a tidy little package. Seems to be a NEMA 34 stepper with a quality harmonic drive and a 100 mm 3-jaw chuck. Would be a nice addition to my 3-axis knee mill. My complication: My Acorn system is set up to use DC servos. Has anyone mixed and matched a stepper 4th axis with X/Y/Z servos? Beyond having to have a separate power supply (my servos run at a voltage too high for most stepper drivers), are there any foreseeable integration issues I should watch out for?
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Tormach MicroARC with Acorn?

Post by martyscncgarage »

FlySox wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:59 am Tormach's new 4th axis, the MicroARC 4, looks like a tidy little package. Seems to be a NEMA 34 stepper with a quality harmonic drive and a 100 mm 3-jaw chuck. Would be a nice addition to my 3-axis knee mill. My complication: My Acorn system is set up to use DC servos. Has anyone mixed and matched a stepper 4th axis with X/Y/Z servos? Beyond having to have a separate power supply (my servos run at a voltage too high for most stepper drivers), are there any foreseeable integration issues I should watch out for?
You need a small power supply for your 4th axis. The size depends on the power requirements of the 4th axis stepper. As long as the drive takes step and direction you should be able to integrate it just fine.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ