Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Retrofit 2.0 TREE J325

Post by lavrgs »

I'm waiting for DMM to get items back in stock, in the meantime I'm taking the opportunity to bench test with Items I have; this includes Gecko G320x servo drive- I don't see a schematic for this specific drive but the plan is to get a db25 breakout board and use a similar schematic. Will I have any issues on the Acorn side when selecting drives? The servo motors are the original Baldors, and I have found that they have encoder problems...I repaired one so I will use that...and I bought a new one to try...I'm having some thoughts about sticking with the original set up but that only lasts a short time. So this "bench test" exercise is for learning and in the end if the encoder upgrade works I'll sell the motors to make up for the expense.

I've spent quite a bit of time playing with the Acorn - trying Intercon, importing some GCode all with reasonable results. Bringing in simple dxf files worked but more complicated files still has issues - mainly with lines that do not intersect properly... It's possible to break up the part file to export
sections, but it takes time. I have a license of Creo and tried a variety of export options as well as finding a couple DXF fixing sites, but for doing actual work on complicated parts it's not ideal I will try programming the Intercon examples in the guide to get a better understanding of tool offsets etc. My current status is that there are times when the tool doesn't retract prior to a move - it stays at Z0 so I need to work on that. I've tried insert ZHOME but is there another way to make sure the tool is up? RAPID? or ?
lavrgs
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by lavrgs »

EDIT - Added Report
Understand this exercise is just a prelude to receiving a DMM system which is on backorder but any insight will be helpful. I will update with a report when I get to the machine

I have one of the Baldor servo motors on the bench and connected to the Acorn. Initially I got the servo to lock and turn in one direction. I am beginning to suspect that I have an encoder problem, I have it connected to a Gecko G320 and find that, there are times I have to reset the drive manually - connect pin 5 to 7- and sometimes it resets automagically. I expected to have to reset manually but I'm guessing the Acorn is taking care of this...?
After adjusting the items in the wizard I ended up with the servo locked but it would not turn in either direction. I wasn't able to get back to the original condition. Today a new encoder should arrive and may help resolve this.
It was a good exercise in that I got the set up to communicate with Acorn.
I had tested the encoder previously and gotten a good signal - Although I had to open it and re-wire the leads because it did not work when I originally tested it.
I will add a report as soon as possible. I have watched so many videos but was unable to get to a point where I felt my input parameters are set properly.
Attachments
report_402E71CADC40-0323214550_2021-05-05_09-01-00.zip
(683.22 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

I spoke with Mariss at Gecko and he corrected my problem. I needed 5V on pin12. Now I have motion in Both Directions...woot
martyscncgarage
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

lavrgs wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:48 pm I spoke with Mariss at Gecko and he corrected my problem. I needed 5V on pin12. Now I have motion in Both Directions...woot
Guru of drives....how long did that conversation last? ;)
Marcus is pretty good too....
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

martyscncgarage wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:01 pm
lavrgs wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:48 pm I spoke with Mariss at Gecko and he corrected my problem. I needed 5V on pin12. Now I have motion in Both Directions...woot
Guru of drives....how long did that conversation last? ;)
Marcus is pretty good too....
Well he started with "good afternoon" It was 10:30 but when I told him what was going on he had it down in about 5 seconds...then he explained over and over to me so I could get it 9-)
Now I'm going to test another motor...If DMM doesn't call soon I may stick with the Baldors...although I feel the Geckos are a bit below the industrial target I'm shooting for
EDIT Second motor works as expected...
EDIT 2 The new encoder arrived was a drop in fit for the BEIs and because of the earlier work today I was able to bench test with good results. I hope to get the motor on the machine to do a bit more verifcation but I expect I'll buy 2 more encoders to retrofit all the motors and keep some money in the bank should the DMMs be required.
lavrgs

Re: Retrofit 2.0 TREE J325>>Monitor

Post by lavrgs »

I went to bench test the motors on the machine and when I plugged in the monitor I found that it will not work for the upgrade - resolution is too low such that I can't see the VCP 8-(.
I will need to get a new monitor so any suggestions would be appreciated. The current monitor is a 15" unit I adapted to fit in the panel. I expect something like an ASUS vT168 would fit with some mods to my panel - probably should make a new panel. Should I be looking for specific functions? Ease of mounting would be nice - I don't need a stand etc and by the time I pay for a ruggedized monitor I could get several consumer quality items
Last edited by lavrgs on Sat May 08, 2021 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
martyscncgarage

To use VCP you need a wde aspect ratio monitor. (Wide screen) 1080P
Mesa, AZ
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

What about features like speakers - the pc I'm using has a pathetic speaker. Does CNC12 provide any audible signals? Are portable displays an option?
martyscncgarage

lavrgs wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:03 am What about features like speakers - the pc I'm using has a pathetic speaker. Does CNC12 provide any audible signals? Are portable displays an option?
No need for speakers. Portable display??
If you want to use VCP, get a proper monitor. Lots of choices. I just got an ELOb15" touchscreen to my M400 console cabinet. It was tight but it's in. It has the physical jog panel
Mesa, AZ
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

martyscncgarage wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:22 am
lavrgs wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:03 am What about features like speakers - the pc I'm using has a pathetic speaker. Does CNC12 provide any audible signals? Are portable displays an option?
No need for speakers. Portable display??
Portable displays are really thin - I didn't mean to use them as portable but I see the problem is that the inputs and power buttons are on the edges... I'll need to go to the store to do some research...

https://www.staples.com/asus-mb168b-15- ... fAQAvD_BwE