Drive Faults, Homing, Slaving... where to begin?

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

Ayrebourne06
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 4197
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Drive Faults, Homing, Slaving... where to begin?

Post by Ayrebourne06 »

Hello all,

Component list, photos, and attachments at the bottom.

Hack woodworker here, and even more hack CNC builder. I've been building my own machine over the course of the last 5 years, and upgrading to a Centroid Acorn and Clearpath motors is the latest (5th?) iteration. Losing steps and motion underrun errors was driving me up the wall with my last setup, thus the leap forward to servos and a more robust controller. I produce topographic maps out of wood with run times up to 3 hours and thousands upon thousands of small movements, so errors would definitely accumulate over time.

Marty's current build series couldn't have come at a better time, as my build has somewhat paralleled his over the last few months. I'm using a Centroid Acorn, C86ACCP, and four Teknic CPM-SDSK-2341S-RLN. I bench tested each motor, I auto tuned the motors when hooked up to the machine, I even hung 25 lbs of weight on each side of the x Axis while tuning the Y motors to simulate half the gantry weight, per Teknic's recommendations for a gantry style router. For the first time in this machine's life it will have actual homing sensors so I don't need to eyeball it for every job, and can hopefully get this thing into a more production based lifestyle.

As of a couple days ago, the machine seemed to be doing alright when I turned things on for the first time. I got the axis moving in the right direction, calibrated the motors to move the proper distance, and so on. As I was figuring out the centroid interface, I crashed it a couple times into my homing sensors. They still function, but I do have new ones on the way. I was getting my teeth wet and was sorting out issues one by one until I noticed the X axis gantry, which is driven by the two Y motors, racking during homing cycles. It all gone downhill from there as I'm trying to sort things out.

Current issues listed below.

1) My Y axis has two motors, a primary and a slave. However, particularly during homing, they don't move in unison. When enabled, the primary motor, where the homing sensor is, will move towards the sensor as it should. The slave motor will generally move in the opposite direction. Not overly far as to cause severe racking, but enough that it is clearly noticeable. Now, why the heck aren't they moving in perfect sequence? One is slaved, right? The jumpers on the C86ACCP are all set to Y Axis slave, I've got it hooked up to the Slave terminal on the C86ACCP. When I couldn't get that to work right, I even hooked it up to the 4th motor spot, and in the Wizard I paired the 4th motor to the 2nd motor, aka, the primary Y motor. Still no luck, not moving in unison.

2) Automatic Homing Sequence should home Z, then X, then Y, per my settings. However, it does them all at the same time. It's making identifying what is faulting out particularly difficult. Any idea why the specified auto homing sequence isn't getting utilized?

3) When I do get the homing sequence to work, it now ends with a 9031 DRIVE FAULT every time. I believe it is generally coming from my slaved Y motor, but I have seen it from my X motor as well. As every home sequence ends with a drive fault, I can't even test jogging the machine anymore, because then I have to reset, rehome, get a new drive fault, and so on... Each homing sequence seems different as well. Sometimes the x axis will stop when contacting the sensor, sometimes it will provide the proper offset, etc. This is true for all the drives, except Z, which seems to behave. Note, there are no blinking fault codes for the servos, just a steady yellow light coming from them.

4) Had the epiphany that maybe something in the Teknic MSP software was affecting my operations. Low and behold, I had the Clearpath homing enabled for all of the motors, I hit disable, go back to trying a homing cycle, and now *nothing* moves. I hear some motors making a faint whine and clicks like they are thinking about moving, but then I get a 9031 DRIVE FAULT. So turning off homing in MSP has rendered my motors completely inoperative. *Frustration intensifies* Note, these are not Teknic's 'enhanced' motors, but I set them to a 6400 encoder resolution (and re-tuned them) per Marty's recommendation when I commented on one of his videos.

As things currently stand, I can't get the machine to complete a homing cycle, nevermind move consistently. My main issues seem to be not only is my homing process all screwed up (MSP vs Acorn driven, or a combination of the two fighting one another), but my slaved motor on my Y axis is not moving in unison with the primary. Any help or guidance would be appreciated. I know this post may be clear as mud and rambling, but I'll answer any follow up questions to the best of my ability.

-Kyle

Relevant Components:
Centroid Acorn, Relay Board, 24v power supply with Router Pro software
CNC4PC C86ACCP Board
4x CPM-SDSK-2341S-RLN Teknic Clearpath Motors [/https://www.teknic.com/model-info/CPM-SDSK-2341S-RLN/]
1x IPC-5 75v power supply from Teknic
POWER4-HUB power distribution hub to motors
All Teknic cables for control and power to motors
Cheapo Homing Switches Taiss 2pcs LJ12A3-4-Z/AX Inductive Proximity Sensor Detection Switch NPN NC DC 6V-36V 4mm Normally Close Proximity Switch 6-36V Approach [/
Junk E stop [/
Mini Business Desktop [/

Photos. [/
Attachments
S15072-ACORN_rev4_CLEARPATH_SDSK_SERIES_MOTOR, CNC4PC C86ACCP.pdf
(149.15 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
report_E415F6F77100-1211204197_2021-04-17_17-10-21.zip
(679.35 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Ayrebourne06

Re: Drive Faults, Homing, Slaving... where to begin?

Post by Ayrebourne06 »

Better photo link:
Last edited by Ayrebourne06 on Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RogDC
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by RogDC »

How do you have your slaved Y axis motor connected?

Did you invert the direction of your slaved motor with the MSP software?

Did you bench test everything before placing in the enclosure?

I can't help you with the C86ACCP board, never could get the one I received to function properly and ended up wiring it per Centroid's schematics.
Ayrebourne06

Post by Ayrebourne06 »

Rog,

Thanks for your thoughts.

The slaved Y axis is connected into the 'slave' terminal on the C86ACCP. There are jumpers on it to designate whether that terminal is slaved to the X motor, or the Y, and mine is to Y. The C86ACCP should take the guess work out of slaving, which is why I'm at a loss as to why mine is acting up.

The slaved motor isn't inverted anywhere, in either MSP or Acorn's Wizard. When I have been able to successfully jog the machine, both Y axis move in the proper direction at the same time. Their orientation is exactly the same on the machine, so no inversion is necessary.

Everything was bench tested several months ago. Admittedly a bit of time has passed between then and now, and I suppose something could have potentially been changed. Luckily everything on my machine is fairly exposed and easy to unplug, so I can recreate a bench test scenario in place should it come to that.

I should add in my original post that I'll use the autosquaring feature eventually., once I figure out the reason for my slaved motor to momentarily be moving +y when it should be moving -y,
RogDC

Post by RogDC »

Kyle,
If you could post a video of the 'error/fault' occurring and show the LED's/indicator's/motor indicator lite status, that may help identify the issue.

Have you physically inspected the C86 board for any broken/cold solder joints?
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

If you are using C86ACCP then I believe you will have to use MSP software to invert the direction Slave motor. Did you TRY that?
A bench test of your motors could have shown you that the slave motor was either turning in the same direction as the master, or it was turning opposite. If that is not an issue, then you need to make sure both motors have the same identical MSP configuration and the same identical axis settings. Post screen shots of your MSP screens for both the Master and Slave axis and your CNC12 axis configuration settings.

We are assuming your gantry needs to have one motor turning in one direction and the other in the opposite direction. Only you can verify that.
Do not bother with homing anything until you have your Axis moving smoothly in the correct directions, your home switches verified working, THEN you can worry about homing the machine and only after the machine is homing correctly can you setup Autosquaring.

Go back and double check all your settings.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

In your picture of Acorn, I do not see anything connected to the SLAVE Molex connector on C86ACCO which is BETWEEN the X and Y connectors. You have an A. Do you really have a 4th axis or are you assuming that is where you connector your Slave axis? (It is not)
Mesa, AZ
RogDC

Post by RogDC »

Marty,
In his machine configuration, the Y motors should turn in the same direction as it appears to be a ball screw drive along the Y axis, rather than a rack an pinion drive on the Y axis which would require one motor to be inverted.

In Kyle's original post he mentions that he moved the slaved Y cable from the slave port and connected to the 4th axis on the C86ACCP board and paired it with the Y motor in the Wizard, so in the photo he has 3 axis with 4 motors.

I'd recommend isolating the axis he is having challenges with and see if it occurs with only the two motors on different connectors and assigning correctly in the Wizard. This may help validate if the cabling is valid with no issues since the X & Y axis do not have any reported issues. If it remains, then the issue may be in the cabling or build/environmental issue causing the problem.

If it clears, then add one axis at a time to the board and see if the issue returns and what changed if it returns. Then troubleshoot further from there.
martyscncgarage

RogDC wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:45 pm Marty,
In his machine configuration, the Y motors should turn in the same direction as it appears to be a ball screw drive along the Y axis, rather than a rack an pinion drive on the Y axis which would require one motor to be inverted.

In Kyle's original post he mentions that he moved the slaved Y cable from the slave port and connected to the 4th axis on the C86ACCP board and paired it with the Y motor in the Wizard, so in the photo he has 3 axis with 4 motors.

I'd recommend isolating the axis he is having challenges with and see if it occurs with only the two motors on different connectors and assigning correctly in the Wizard. This may help validate if the cabling is valid with no issues since the X & Y axis do not have any reported issues. If it remains, then the issue may be in the cabling or build/environmental issue causing the problem.

If it clears, then add one axis at a time to the board and see if the issue returns and what changed if it returns. Then troubleshoot further from there.
👍👍👍
Mesa, AZ
Iflyb777
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF98C2BC-0421214705

Post by Iflyb777 »

20210607_152127.jpg
I am new to cnc world, I have acron using CNC12 doing bench test with 1 driver KL5080d4 motor KL 23 31n-1000, day I received it got to work fine next day started up CNC12 move Z axies motor turn about one step then I get Drive fault 9031 all so getting 7 red flashes on drive
Need help
thanks Larry
Attachments
20210607_152224.jpg