CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA7CF01E-0604180968
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Homing and question

Post by LeChuck »

Good morning,

So I have an Emco Compact 6 PC lathe with servos. I got great help in my other thread getting it running again after updating the software to latest version.

I was a bit confused about the homing functionality. I think I get it now but wanted to check my logic.

Any time I power off the Acorn system (the board and control box) and get back on, it tells me to rehome. Is that the correct behavior even with servos and if not, how does it get changed?

Regarding the homing itself, I understand that I have to line up to a couple marks, then start the homing macro, and it will look for the next marker pulse and stop there. The question is then: if I line up to the mark in the same area each time, let's say just to the right or below each mark, it will normally always find the same marker pulse position and it will be accurate, as long as I'm not too far off the mark to start with, correct?

And in this case, I won't also have to reset my main tool offset/position?

Another question: do you folks normally leave your Acorn board/control box powered up at all times? I don't see a bit issue with that except that there's one (I think) resistor that keeps a constant 250 degree temp as long as it's powered. Just wondering about any drawbacks. Previous owner did not install any shut offs or switches in his system. I'll probably add something but wanted to ask if it's fine to just leave it on.

Thank,
David
Attachments
report_F045DA7CF01E-0604180968_2021-04-17_09-29-24.zip
(655.03 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Homing and question

Post by martyscncgarage »

LeChuck wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:52 pm Good morning,

So I have an Emco Compact 6 PC lathe with servos. I got great help in my other thread getting it running again after updating the software to latest version.

I was a bit confused about the homing functionality. I think I get it now but wanted to check my logic.

Any time I power off the Acorn system (the board and control box) and get back on, it tells me to rehome. Is that the correct behavior even with servos and if not, how does it get changed?

Regarding the homing itself, I understand that I have to line up to a couple marks, then start the homing macro, and it will look for the next marker pulse and stop there. The question is then: if I line up to the mark in the same area each time, let's say just to the right or below each mark, it will normally always find the same marker pulse position and it will be accurate, as long as I'm not too far off the mark to start with, correct?

And in this case, I won't also have to reset my main tool offset/position?

Another question: do you folks normally leave your Acorn board/control box powered up at all times? I don't see a bit issue with that except that there's one (I think) resistor that keeps a constant 250 degree temp as long as it's powered. Just wondering about any drawbacks. Previous owner did not install any shut offs or switches in his system. I'll probably add something but wanted to ask if it's fine to just leave it on.

Thank,
David
You should continue to post in your own thread....
You should have a shut off on the machine. I would install one.
I am assuming the machine was built using the sensors on the ballscrew pulleys? Then yes, you need to home to the marks (used to be arrow pointers)
Get in the habit of Parking the machine at the end of the day. CNC12 will send the machine back close to the home position, so the next time you home the machine, it will home the same way. Having precision homing on a lathe is important as you pointed out. Of course you should continue to check it to make sure it is repeating to your expectations.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ