DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Update from older software version

Post by martyscncgarage »

Sounds like you need to tune the VFD a little closer, follow this post:
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=1650
It is more important to get the lower spindle speed closer to the commanded RPM. You won't likely get it dead nuts.

NOTE CNC12 does not close a spindle speed loop. In other words, it will not work to maintain a spindle speed.
The Reading on CNC12 is accurate BASED on the encoder input and encoder count input. Could you please post a picture of the encoder label?
We need to look up the specs on that encoder and make sure of its encoder count.

CNC12 WILL monitor the spindle speed and adjust the Z axis feed rate accordingly for threading and rigid tapping.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
LeChuck
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA7CF01E-0604180968
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by LeChuck »

Will work on that. I already went to look at the parameters on the VFD's LCD panel (it's an AutomationDirect GS2-23P0) and it looks like it's pretty much all default except for motor max RPM (I think this replaces max frequency in this model) at 2750.
LeChuck

Post by LeChuck »

I posted a photo earlier from the encoder and it said 2500 line count, confirmed by the manual test, one pulse every turn and every 10k. I can't get any closer as the encoder is buried inside the lathe. Maybe I'll see about setting up that tiny USB camera I have somewhere. The other side of the encoder is just too close to the lathe's body.
LeChuck

Post by LeChuck »

Good morning. So I had a chance to look into the speed earlier and tweaked it to be correct at 640. The VFD is set at 2770 max rpm and CNC12 was set at 2750. I had to set it at 2350 to get 640rpm on point. 400rpm is a little off now at 420, and higher speeds are a little off as well, but it looks like that's unavoidable. I think the motor can go higher than 2770, so in the future I can tweak that a bit but I don't really need it.

I did not expect that to have a real impact on threading since CNC12 would use the encoder output for that, as I understand it, but I ran my program again and got a good 10mm thread with no cross threading. I'll have to run it a few times to see if it's consistent. That was at 400rpm this time. I'll try to raise that, and maybe lower the number of passes, because this is just a single start thread, I don't want to end up doing 60 passes when I do the triple start ones! This thread goes smoothly into a pen barrel that has a tapped thread. It's consistency that's super important. I suspect that the glitch will happen again randomly but it's not a settings problem since it is capable of making a nice thread with correct pitch. As soon as I have time, I'll open up the connectors to check the shielding.

That thread leaves some ugly slivers of threads at beginning and end so I guess I have to learn how to get that to be cleaner. I think it's probably my Z start and stop that I have to tweak as it might be off a little based on how I zeroed. There has to be a command to re-zero on Z after a facing operation. I think that's the issue.

Anyway, thanks again for the help and I'll get back to this asap and check the shielding in all the connectors.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Dialing in the spindle speed to be more accurate at low speed might have been your issue.
Suggestion, start the thread a little ahead of the Z start point.
Keep us posted on your progress.

When you are all up and running, you might show your thanks by showing your lathe running a part, panning to the CNC12 screen, post to YouTube and share it to the Success Stories forum: viewforum.php?f=57

It will show others what can be done with Acorn once the machine is setup properly and serve as inspiration.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
LeChuck

Post by LeChuck »

Thanks. Yeah, once all the kinks are worked out and I get my threading done properly, I'll definitely post some videos.
LeChuck

Post by LeChuck »

Just checked the spindle encoder cable and the shield is soldered on properly in all 3 locations.
martyscncgarage

LeChuck wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:36 pm Just checked the spindle encoder cable and the shield is soldered on properly in all 3 locations.
Great!
Mesa, AZ
LeChuck

Post by LeChuck »

Feast your eyes on a perfectly working M13 x0.8 triple start thread. Fits very well inside an existing cap. Needs tweaking but I'm very happy that this seems to work just right. Will post videos once I get further, put in my tools and get some real things going.
IMG-0998.JPG
IMG-0999.JPG
martyscncgarage

LeChuck wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:37 pm Feast your eyes on a perfectly working M13 x0.8 triple start thread. Fits very well inside an existing cap. Needs tweaking but I'm very happy that this seems to work just right. Will post videos once I get further, put in my tools and get some real things going.

IMG-0998.JPG

IMG-0999.JPG
Nice!
Mesa, AZ