Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA7CF01E-0604180968
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Update from older software version

Post by LeChuck »

Thanks all. Regarding the turret thing, I think this is not a blocking issue right now. I can use all the tools, but until it's fixed I'll just have to be careful to not try to change from tool 5 to 4. Depending on which tool is in 4, that might never happen. All the tools work and if I use the F7/ATC button or MDI, I can go to each tool separately, including 5. The problem happens when I go to 5 directly or index the turret from 4 to 5. The turret goes to tool 5, then when it backs up to lock, right when it locks on tool 5, it triggers the tool 4 bits again. I think this might be hardware related.

Chris, your impression is exactly what it looks like. For every other tool, it goes past the tool, then backs into position and locks, and the bits stay activated for the correct tool position. For tool 5, it does select it correctly but it seems that when it backs into locking position, it becomes slightly out of range and the DRO reads tool 4 position again. So at that point if you try to index it, it tries to move, say hey, I'm already on tool 5, so it backs back immediately into tool 5 position, then again switches the bits and DRO to tool 4. If I use MDI to go to tool 6, there's no issue.

Marty, I don't have the same truth table results as that picture probably because I'm going off of the numbers that someone wrote on the turret and the starting point for tool 1 was different. Although it's strange because I have the same value for position 4 (9) and their value for position 3 is what I have in 5 and their value for position 2 is what I have in 6, as if it's turning the other way around.

I switched the ratios to 2.54 and will do some testing as soon as I can and post a new report.

Oh, also, Marty, no, I am not absolutely positive that the tool 4/5 issue did not existing prior to the update. I did not test all the turret positions then and the problem might have existed already.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

LeChuck wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:09 pm Thanks all. Regarding the turret thing, I think this is not a blocking issue right now. I can use all the tools, but until it's fixed I'll just have to be careful to not try to change from tool 5 to 4. Depending on which tool is in 4, that might never happen. All the tools work and if I use the F7/ATC button or MDI, I can go to each tool separately, including 5. The problem happens when I go to 5 directly or index the turret from 4 to 5. The turret goes to tool 5, then when it backs up to lock, right when it locks on tool 5, it triggers the tool 4 bits again. I think this might be hardware related.

Chris, your impression is exactly what it looks like. For every other tool, it goes past the tool, then backs into position and locks, and the bits stay activated for the correct tool position. For tool 5, it does select it correctly but it seems that when it backs into locking position, it becomes slightly out of range and the DRO reads tool 4 position again. So at that point if you try to index it, it tries to move, say hey, I'm already on tool 5, so it backs back immediately into tool 5 position, then again switches the bits and DRO to tool 4. If I use MDI to go to tool 6, there's no issue.

Marty, I don't have the same truth table results as that picture probably because I'm going off of the numbers that someone wrote on the turret and the starting point for tool 1 was different. Although it's strange because I have the same value for position 4 (9) and their value for position 3 is what I have in 5 and their value for position 2 is what I have in 6, as if it's turning the other way around.

I switched the ratios to 2.54 and will do some testing as soon as I can and post a new report.

Oh, also, Marty, no, I am not absolutely positive that the tool 4/5 issue did not existing prior to the update. I did not test all the turret positions then and the problem might have existed already.

So my suggestion for today. Create a Fresh report. Post it here.
Back up the current working CNCT directory to a flash drive.
You can rename it CNCT -4.64 and rename the old 4.13 directory CNCT and test with the old version of the software

I suspect you are right. You can go into the diagnostic screen by toggling alt i and note the state of inputs 1, 2, 3, 4 (Top line far left) and note the tool number presented to the spindle. Create/verify the truth table. Compare it to the one I uploaded too.

You did good getting to this point.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
LeChuck
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by LeChuck »

Here's a brand new report.
Attachments
report_F045DA7CF01E-0604180968_2021-04-16_09-43-09.zip
(615.11 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
LeChuck

Post by LeChuck »

I verified the ratios with just a coarse check using a gauge block, and it seems correct. Will do a fine check/adjustment as soon as I figure out how to mount a block and dial indicator in there.
martyscncgarage

LeChuck wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:57 pm I verified the ratios with just a coarse check using a gauge block, and it seems correct. Will do a fine check/adjustment as soon as I figure out how to mount a block and dial indicator in there.
If you have a really good dial travel indicator you could chuck it up in the spindle and run the turret up to it. Of course, you will likely only get it as good as the Indicator/resolution

You can do the same against the turret to get it close....
Mesa, AZ
LeChuck

Post by LeChuck »

I don't have an indicator with a long travel. I have a couple regular dial indicators. One crappy harbor freight type, and a better one from Edge tech that mounts into a quick change tool post and I used on my manual lathe. I might be able to mount that in one of the tool locations. Would be nice to have some sort of little digital sliding DRO that I could install on there. I'll figure out a way. Need to remove all the tools first as those ER16 collets are in the way.
LeChuck

Post by LeChuck »

Spent some time calibrating using my good indicator and obtained 2.49853775 on Z. I used a 3/2/1 block and got to about 0.001-0.002mm over the 3 inches of travel, repeated. I don't think I can measure more precise than that and it's definitely good enough for me. I used the same value for X as a starting point and it seems to be pretty much exact, but X is more difficult and I haven't figured out the best method yet, plus there's much less travel so I measured it only over one inch, but it seemed good, 50.80xmm diameter movement for the 1 inch block. I'll check again when I get the pendant, which looks like it should be tomorrow, but with UPS it probably won't be. Using the touch screen on the VCP drives me crazy. The best verification will be with some cuts though. I think this is going pretty well overall :)
IMG-0966.JPG
IMG-0967.JPG
LeChuck

Post by LeChuck »

Hoping you guys can help with this one because I'm stumped. I'm almost there, have setup a couple tools and trying to run the pawn program to see it cut some air first. When I start the job, it goes home to tool check, starts the spindle, goes to start position, then just stops there on that end face turning line as per the screenshot. It says "moving". No movement, no errors, the spindle still turns, it's just stopped and waiting there.
IMG-0968.JPG
Attachments
report_F045DA7CF01E-0604180968_2021-04-17_15-03-40.zip
(615.26 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
martyscncgarage

Do you really have an encoder installed and did you set it up in the Wizard under Spindle?
Did you load your Pro license when you installed 4.64?
I'm not where I can look at your report.

You loaded the Pawn Encoder required in the picture.
Mesa, AZ
LeChuck

Post by LeChuck »

I just tried the non encoder pawn version and it works, so it has to be with the encoder setup. Yes, there is an encoder, and if I go to the encoder section somewhere in the setup in CNC12, I can see the numbers move as I turn the spindle by hand. The pro license is loaded. I'll go back to have a look at the wizard, maybe I didn't set it up right.