Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Just checking I’m buying the correct servo parts

Post by ChrisMe »

I’m sure these are the correct parts for Centroid Acorn but would like a second option. I was going to order the following parts. I’m in the UK so running on 230V but I’ve been show how to convert the power supply. Does this look right?

2x ClearPath® - Integrated Servo System CPM-SDSK-2341S-ELS

https://www.teknic.com/model-info/CPM-SDSK-2341S-ELS/

IPC-5 Power Supply

https://www.teknic.com/products/servo-m ... ipc-5-info

Plus

IPC35-CABLE110 AC Power Supply Cable

2x DC Power Cable, IPC to ClearPath, 10 ft (Part number CPM-CABLE-PWR-MS120)

https://www.teknic.com/clearpath-access ... wer-cables

2x Controller Cable, 10 ft (Part Number: CPM-CABLE-CTRL-MU120)

https://www.teknic.com/clearpath-access ... ler-cables

USB Cable, for ClearPath Rear USB Port (Part Number: CPM-CABLE-USB-120)

https://www.teknic.com/clearpath-access ... sd-dc/#usb

I was also going to buy the C86ACCP breakout board from CNC4PC-

https://www.cnc4pc.com/c86accp-clearpat ... oller.html

This is what my basket looks like

Richards
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC12: Yes

Re: Just checking I’m buying the correct servo parts

Post by Richards »

Those parts "plug and play". I use the PS and the cables with various ClearPath motors What machine are you building? Did you contact Teknic for suggestions on the 2341S-ELS motors? Teknic has an excellent support department that can run the numbers to verify that that motor is the best fit for your application.
-Mike Richards
carbuthn

Post by carbuthn »

Chris, it is difficult to say if you have the correct servos, with out knowing what you are driving with them. When I purchased the ones for my PM25 mill, the x axis that I ordered was a little on the light side, I ended up getting one with a little more torque. Clearpath has a 90 day exchange/refund policy (minus shipping cost). I would recommend that you contact them to make sure that you have the correct servo for your application. Chuck
Gary Campbell
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Post by Gary Campbell »

Teknic has a service where they will recommend appropriate motors based on the mass of components, the type of motion control and the intended use. There is little or no guesswork involved. Your question that includes a BOM and no machine specs involves 100% guesswork.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
ChrisMe
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by ChrisMe »

Gary Campbell wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:48 am Teknic has a service where they will recommend appropriate motors based on the mass of components, the type of motion control and the intended use. There is little or no guesswork involved. Your question that includes a BOM and no machine specs involves 100% guesswork.
Thank you for your reply. I was more concerned if the parts would talk to Acorn or not? I spoke to Teknic who recommended these parts I just wanted a second opinion. The parts will be used on a Mini Mill so if anything the Servos are overkill. They should have more than enough torque.
swissi
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716

Post by swissi »

ChrisMe wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:32 pm
Gary Campbell wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:48 am Teknic has a service where they will recommend appropriate motors based on the mass of components, the type of motion control and the intended use. There is little or no guesswork involved. Your question that includes a BOM and no machine specs involves 100% guesswork.
Thank you for your reply. I was more concerned if the parts would talk to Acorn or not? I spoke to Teknic who recommended these parts I just wanted a second opinion. The parts will be used on a Mini Mill so if anything the Servos are overkill. They should have more than enough torque.
Mini Mill!? I only see 2 motors on your BOM. How are you going to move the 3rd axis?

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
ChrisMe

Post by ChrisMe »

swissi wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:52 pm
Mini Mill!? I only see 2 motors on your BOM. How are you going to move the 3rd axis?

-swissi
That should say mini lathe.
swissi

Post by swissi »

ChrisMe wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:04 pm
swissi wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:52 pm

-swissi
That should say mini lathe.
OK that makes more sense :D

ClearPath motors are great and I don't want to discourage you from buying them but I think you are buying an 18 wheeler to get some groceries from the supermarket. For a mini lathe I would definitely go with a good pair of closed loop stepper motors and drives for less than ⅓ of the price.

-swissi
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

ChrisMe

Post by ChrisMe »

swissi wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:16 pm
ClearPath motors are great and I don't want to discourage you from buying them but I think you are buying an 18 wheeler to get some groceries from the supermarket. For a mini lathe I would definitely go with a good pair of closed loop stepper motors and drives for less than ⅓ of the price.

-swissi
Can you recommend some? The reason I'm going with the ClearPath is because I'm making small pression parts such as screws and bolts smaller than 1mm (40 thou) so I need the pressions to tap holes with delicate tap's.
swissi

Post by swissi »

ChrisMe wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:19 pm
swissi wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:16 pm

-swissi
Can you recommend some? The reason I'm going with the ClearPath is because I'm making small pression parts such as screws and bolts smaller than 1mm (40 thou) so I need the pressions to tap holes with delicate tap's.
The limiting factors in getting great precisions will be your lathe and the quality of the ball screws you are going to use but definitely not the motor. With a good stepper motor you can easily go down to a step size of 1 micro meter but it's questionable if the mini lathe can handle that precision.

Look at Franco's Youtube channel, he has built a couple of mini lathes with Acorn board. Here's a video where he's bench testing closed loop steppers from StepperOnline:

You'll be better off using the saved money from the motors on a better quality machine and ball screws.

-swissi