Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 4372
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

24 volt logic wiring for stepper online drivers CL86y's

Post by cad cam man »

Hey guys I have a question maybe someone out there can help . I am thinking ahead here and alot times that gets me in trouble but here it goes ... I am going to be wiring 3 drivers all cl86y from stepper online (https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/downl ... rivers.pdf )link to driver manual , in the wiring schematics provided by centroid it shows only 1 driver I have 3 I dont really think I should wire all 3 drivers as it shows in the schematics i.e. all going to the 24 volt on the acorn board . So should I get a 24 volt power supply just to run all my driver logics, limit switches ...etc..??
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: 24 volt logic wiring for stepper online drivers CL86y's

Post by martyscncgarage »

Thank you for posting a link to your drive manual.

You can *TRY* the Acorn header.
DO NOT CONNECT the MF input at all at this point
+5V to PU+
+5V from Acorn Power Supply to DR+
PU- from the drive to Acorn ST1
DR- from the drive to Acorn DR1

Test ONE drive and one motor.
Load Leadshine Drive. Go into DB 25 Mapping in the Wizard and make sure SCREW Terminals is selected.

BENCH TEST first! Do the first motor, add the second drive and motor then the third drive and motor.
Add subsystems to your panel and test before installing into the control cabinet. Configure/Test Each system as you go along.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

Check out YouTube. Search Centroid CNC Acorn for lots more info!

When you get stuck, be sure to clearly explain what is going on, post pictures of your wiring and ALWAYS post a FRESH REPORT.
F7 Utilities, F7 Create Report
Mesa, AZ
Richards
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by Richards »

In the S15033.DWG, note that the +24VDC connections are being used with the H2 header. When you use the H2 and H3 headers, the Step, Direction and Enable signals on the Acorn board SINK current. That means that you must have current to sink. The +24VDC connection is the SOURCE of that current. The H2 and H3 connections pull current through the CL86 Pulse, Direction, and Enable signals. The CL86Y driver limits the amount of current that the Acorn can pull. Typically, the Step, Direction and Enable signals only require about 10mA each, so they are not a huge load on the power supply.

In my builds, I use a Meanwell MDR-100-24 or MDR-60-24 DIN rail mount power supply. Those power supplies are easily replaceable. If I use 5VDC, then I mount an MDR-60-5 to the DIN rail. I also use AutomationDirect's DN-Q12-2-2-A (gray) or DN-Q12B-2-2-A (blue) terminal blocks, end plates and jumpers. Three of those blocks jumpered together gives 1-power in and 11-power out connections in a very small space.
-Mike Richards
martyscncgarage

Looked at the the Stepper Online doc again it says you can use 5-24VDC. So instead of +5V you can use +24VDC from Acorn power supply for power
without the use of resistors:
stepper online drive.JPG
Mesa, AZ
cad cam man

Post by cad cam man »

martyscncgarage wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:25 am Looked at the the Stepper Online doc again it says you can use 5-24VDC. So instead of +5V you can use +24VDC from Acorn power supply for power

stepper online drive.JPG
Ok so you are saying try using the 24 volt from the Acorn and if successful add another and so on ? So I have the idea of using the din rail mount terminal blocks for the 24 volt for limit switches and I have 2 fans, I also have an encoder that I plan to incorporate into this setup so would it be safe to say just get a meanwell 24volt ps just to be on the safe side??. All this is before I try to start the bench test . After reading everyone's biggest mistake is not doing the bench test so I would like to get the proper setup before I even try doing the bench test
cad cam man

Post by cad cam man »

Richards wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:09 am In the S15033.DWG, note that the +24VDC connections are being used with the H2 header. When you use the H2 and H3 headers, the Step, Direction and Enable signals on the Acorn board SINK current. That means that you must have current to sink. The +24VDC connection is the SOURCE of that current. The H2 and H3 connections pull current through the CL86 Pulse, Direction, and Enable signals. The CL86Y driver limits the amount of current that the Acorn can pull. Typically, the Step, Direction and Enable signals only require about 10mA each, so they are not a huge load on the power supply.

In my builds, I use a Meanwell MDR-100-24 or MDR-60-24 DIN rail mount power supply. Those power supplies are easily replaceable. If I use 5VDC, then I mount an MDR-60-5 to the DIN rail. I also use AutomationDirect's DN-Q12-2-2-A (gray) or DN-Q12B-2-2-A (blue) terminal blocks, end plates and jumpers. Three of those blocks jumpered together gives 1-power in and 11-power out connections in a very small space.
Hello Mike do you have any pictures to share of this type of setup on a past build ? Pictures always help to get an overall idea of all the whos ,what's, wheres
martyscncgarage

cad cam man wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:22 am
martyscncgarage wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:25 am Looked at the the Stepper Online doc again it says you can use 5-24VDC. So instead of +5V you can use +24VDC from Acorn power supply for power

stepper online drive.JPG
Ok so you are saying try using the 24 volt from the Acorn and if successful add another and so on ? So I have the idea of using the din rail mount terminal blocks for the 24 volt for limit switches and I have 2 fans, I also have an encoder that I plan to incorporate into this setup so would it be safe to say just get a meanwell 24volt ps just to be on the safe side??. All this is before I try to start the bench test . After reading everyone's biggest mistake is not doing the bench test so I would like to get the proper setup before I even try doing the bench test
Yes. Get one drive/motor working and then add the second and third.
You will have no problem using the Acorn power supply for the Step/Dir Logic. NOT to power the motor. That requires an appropriately sized power supply for the motors.

I am like Mike Richards, I like the DIN Rail Power supplies and terminal blocks. You can replace the power supply that came with Acorn with a Meanwell din rail mounted unit.
Like I said, spend a little time on YouTube to see various ideas.
My channel shows a number of builds as examples.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
Richards

Post by Richards »

Here's a photo of the DIN rail power supply and terminal blocks that I have on my test bench. The Acorn has a C86ACCP R2 adapter board to drive the ClearPath SDSK servo motors. (Note: I use Blue wires for +24VDC and White/Blue wires for GND.)
test_bench.jpg
-Mike Richards
cad cam man

Post by cad cam man »

Richards wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:04 pm Here's a photo of the DIN rail power supply and terminal blocks that I have on my test bench. The Acorn has a C86ACCP R2 adapter board to drive the ClearPath SDSK servo motors. (Note: I use Blue wires for +24VDC and White/Blue wires for GND.)

test_bench.jpg
Thats perfect mike......that's exactly what I had in mind thank you for posting pictures for some reason it is the missing puzzle piece in my mind .