CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Jog button in VCP sticks on

Post by martyscncgarage »

The dip switch settings don't mean much unless we have the drive manual

Your report indicates that you are using an old lathe ATC PLC.
You reminded me that somehow you interfaced an Arduino. Don't recall how you did all that and made it work.

I do know one thing, I would have created fresh reports, gotten screen shots of my 4.18 Wizard settings. I would have printed the report with the parameter settings, I would have copied the 4.18 CNCT directory to a USB drive, then renamed the current CNCT directory CNCT 4.18, then done a fresh install of 4.64 and NOT restored a report, rather hand entered all my machine settings from my screen shots, then downloaded the latest ATC package and followed the instructions, using the printed parameters as needed.

VCP was updated to 2.0. I think VCP 2.0 came along in 4.20 but don't quite remember. If you restored an old report over the top of 4.64, you may have some grunged files.

New Lathe Unversal PLC and instructions can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397

I would do a fresh install as described above (IF you simply installed 4.64 and then restored an old report), but can't help you with how you integrated Arduino
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
jumps4
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38d2697ca033-0611180974 mpu12
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by jumps4 »

Marty
I did do all of this:

"I do know one thing, I would have created fresh reports, gotten screen shots of my 4.18 Wizard settings. I would have printed the report with the parameter settings, I would have copied the 4.18 CNCT directory to a USB drive, then renamed the current CNCT directory CNCT 4.18, then done a fresh install of 4.64 and NOT restored a report, rather hand entered all my machine settings from my screen shots, then downloaded the latest ATC package and followed the instructions, using the printed parameters as needed."

and there was a problem after manually entering my parameters I needed to use the wizard to make other changes and I would loose all my settings.
Doing the install the way I did cnc12 wizard see's the custom plc and protects it. I can now use wizard to make changes and not loose my manual settings for the turret. I made the changes Keith requested and the tool changer setting remained with out have to go back and manualy entering them again. This feature of the wizard is not documented that I could find but it does work.
I am using v2.0 VCP and have even used the editor.

The turret and Arduino are run by the gray code program. When a tool change is requested Cnc12 powers the rotate output and watches for the correct gray code to stop rotation. Arduino see's the rotate request and goes to each tools position and then sends gray code for that position. If this is the correct tool Acorn turns off the rotate pin. The turret position is set by one optical index signal and every tool position is measured from this index.
Making small diameter parts requires precision centering of tool height for precision repeatability. The smaller the diameter the greater the error will be if the tool height is off center. Arduino allows me to edit by simple add or subtract count for a tool height correction after installing a new tool in the turret. I simply install the new tool request it in cnc12 and measure it's height. I then enter a + or - correction and the tool is at the correct center height. One pulse of the turret stepper motor equates to .00075 of tool height adjustment. So if the tool when checked is .006 low I enter +8 for that tool and the correction is made and saved.
I'm using a harmonic drive to eliminate all backlash and a one way sprag that I reverse against to preload the tool in a downward direction. Acorn does not know the Arduino is even there.

The program and tool changer are working perfect I just need to see if the corrections Keith gave me yesterday worked. So far I have not been able to make the button stick.
I'll test more today
Steve
No Brains, No Headaches...
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Cool.
So what is Arduino using for sensors to interpret into the Gray code?
I'm pretty sure the NEWest Lathe Universal PLC allows you to make wizard changes and retain the settings.
Marty
Mesa, AZ
jumps4

Post by jumps4 »

Arduino divided the step count of 1 revolution of the turret into 8 positions. There 33800 pulses per 1 revolution of the turret.There is 1 slot in a disk that sends a single index signal to Arduino each revolution right before tool 1's position. Every tool position count when Acorn requests a tool change starts from index and not the prior tools position to maintain accuracy. Just prior to and for a short distance after a tool position is approaching Arduino outputs the gray code to Acorns input pins for that particular tool position and pauses a fraction of a second to see if acorn wants it. If the rotate pin from Acorn shuts off that tool is selected and put into position with calibration setting. If the rotate pin stays active the process continues at each tool position until Acorn shut off the rotate pin.
Steve

Going to start testing the button to see if it sticks anymore now
jumps4

Post by jumps4 »

It took probably over a 200 clicks of the left mouse button but it is still sticking.
That is my problem I never know when it will happen. When it happens I'm so close to the part it crashes before I can react and stop it.
I might reinstall the Shuttlexpress and see if it has the same problem with repeated clicking
Yesterday I tried to run windows 10 in safe mode with networking. It communicated with Acorn but screen would not allow VCP to open beside Cnc12 so the buttons were not available.
I didn't know if it would work but it would have been nice to try to see if a windows program may be the cause.
Steve
martyscncgarage

Steve,
I am not sure what else to suggest....if you have another PC, give it a try and see.
Mesa, AZ
jumps4

Post by jumps4 »

I'll figure out something
I'll probably reinstall the Shuttlexpress and just use it if it does not hang up also.
Steve
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Steve,
your system is using a PLC program designed for VCP 1.0, you now have VCP 2.0 installed.
best way to get the PLC program up to date is use the v4.64 wizard to generate a new one, then go edit it to put back in your customizations for the tool changer. that way the new plc program will match the VCP 2.0 that comes with v4.64 along with a bunch of other improvements. -Keith
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Keith,

Aside from the location of the feedrate override percentage (W31 vs. W4) and the location of the ResetSet indicator (OUT1107 vs. SV_SKIN_EVENT_55), in what ways is the PLC program required to be different for VCP 2.0 vs. VCP 1.0?
jumps4

Post by jumps4 »

Keith
All I had to do was edit the turret index button in V2.0 and everything works.
updating windows 10, going to v4.64, uninstalling tablet driver in windows, changing the mouse and the mouse settings, uninstalling Shuttlexpress and touchscreen have not corrected this issue.
I have had this problem since i took acorn out of the box and plugged it into a new pc.
before V4.18 before windows 10 ever updated
Marty's idea about a different pc may be my next option but I think it may be wise to see if using touchscreen or shuttlexpress instead of the mouse fixes it. If so I have the problem solved. I just won't nudge into position with the mouse.
Steve
Last edited by jumps4 on Wed May 05, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.