Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: E415F6F8DF80-0217212488
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Tool touch off issue

Post by neowalla »

I forgot to mention: swissi mentioned tool offsets. I have not programmed anything into the CNC12 tool library. I wasn't planing on it. I have a tool library in both Fusion 360 and Vcarve Pro the two programs I use to generate all my tool paths. I pick the tool there and those programs generate the tool paths appropriately. At least they always have with the Richauto post processors I used with my old controller.
My machine has an ER 20 collet, no ATC so I write discrete files for each tool and change them manually, then run the next job.
swissi
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716

Post by swissi »

Looking at your configuration, all axis are setup with 1'000 counts/rev. and 5.08mm/rev and I have a hunch that these settings are not correct.

1'000 counts/rev is well below Centroids recommendation of a minimum of 1'600 counts/rev and I highly doubt that this setting is correct.

Are your drivers really set to 1'000 counts/rev? Do you have any documentation of the drivers?

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
neowalla

Post by neowalla »

Hi swissi, please see this other thread:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=5666
It documents how I arrived at 1,000 steps per rev. I wouldn't be surprised it I don't have it set up correctly. I'm very much a novice at this and learning as I go working with the brilliant documentation Chinese companies give you, but in measuring the X and Y travel, I was able to get the distance commanded to match the distance travelled with it set to 1,000 steps per rev. I set up the Z axis the same assuming it uses the same motor. The driver is the same with the same dip switch settings.
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

I've been over this with him once or twice now, his settings in the wizard for steps per does not match his drive. He hasn't corrected this and therefore he's having problems. The drives are set to 2000 steps and he has the wizard set at 1000 steps, wonder why it's only going half way down?

He has to take a step back and set up the hardware and wizard correctly or he'll continue to have these issues. Two members have already stated this.

Set the steps per so they match in the wizard and on the drive and then correct the travel distance by adjusting the overall turns setting in the wizard.

He's trying to cut parts and the machine is not set up right, you have to crawl before you can walk. :mrgreen:
Last edited by ShawnM on Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swissi

Post by swissi »

neowalla wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:03 pm Hi swissi, please see this other thread:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=5666
It documents how I arrived at 1,000 steps per rev. I wouldn't be surprised it I don't have it set up correctly. I'm very much a novice at this and learning as I go working with the brilliant documentation Chinese companies give you, but in measuring the X and Y travel, I was able to get the distance commanded to match the distance travelled with it set to 1,000 steps per rev. I set up the Z axis the same assuming it uses the same motor. The driver is the same with the same dip switch settings.
Did you do this test I mentioned before:
  • Touch off a tool on your puck so that the DRO shows Z +12.000
  • Jog down the Z axis to Z0

Does the tool touch now the surface of the stock (bottom of the puck)? If not then your turn ratio is setup incorrectly.

-swissi
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

swissi wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:11 pm Did you do this test I mentioned before:
  • Touch off a tool on your puck so that the DRO shows Z +12.000
  • Jog down the Z axis to Z0

Does the tool touch now the surface of the stock (bottom of the puck)? If not then your turn ratio is setup incorrectly.

-swissi
It wont be correct swissi because he hasn't set up the system as instructed. I'm banging my head on my keyboard as I type this......again. :mrgreen:

All distances commanded for the Z axis will be half as far. His steps per are both different on the drives and in the wizard and his overall turns ratio numbers are also incorrect.

Please NEOWALLA follow these instructions:

• set the steps per on the drive to 2000 (this should be already set if you haven't changed it from your last pic)
• set the steps per in the wizard to 2000 for all 3 axis
• set the overall turns for X and Y to 2.54 (this will change a little when you "fine tune" the system)
• set the overall turns ratio for Z to 5.08 (this is what you currently have and will change a little when you fine tune the system)

Please report back after you try this neowalla.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Some fight the advice, some listen to the advice given....
Thank you Shawn & Swissi (and everyone else!! :D ) for your help and persistence on the forum!
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
swissi

Post by swissi »

martyscncgarage wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:39 am Some fight the advice, some listen to the advice given....
Thank you Shawn & Swissi (and everyone else!! :D ) for your help and persistence on the forum!
Marty
Correct Marty. We can only lead the horse to water, we can't make it drink! :-)

This is like building a guitar with an inch ruler from a metric plan and then be surprised that the guitar is 25 times to large ;)

-swissi

neowalla

Post by neowalla »

Ok I got it working correctly. When I was working on the soft limit issue referenced on the other post, I wasn't doing the math correctly. I applied the same formula for inch but with metric numbers. I re-read the instructions and noticed the formula is different. The divisor is the reverse when working in metric versus imperial. That was why I ended up with 1000 steps/rev and the wrong mm/rev.
Long story short, I re-did the rough and fine measurements for X,Y and Z and made the corrections to the step/rev and mm/rev. I'll do the rotating axis later.
The X and Y read 1200mm at the end of their travel like they're supposed to and the Z axis sets perfectly to the stock top using the "Auto Z to plate" button to .08mm (.00315") and that is close enough for me. And of course it cuts at the correct depth.
Thank you all for your help and patience.
Attachments
report_E415F6F8DF80-0217212488_2021-04-06_13-21-15.zip
Latest report
(798.47 KiB) Downloaded 72 times