Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: retro fit Laguna/RichAuto

Post by martyscncgarage »

Use the Centroid Mill Operator's manual for reference.
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... nuals.html

All Acorn documentation including the specifications:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
dweber
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by dweber »

When i start I will need help when I program cnc12 with the wizard as several of my components do not match completely what is offered in the wizard.
Dave
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

dweber wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:32 pm When i start I will need help when I program cnc12 with the wizard as several of my components do not match completely what is offered in the wizard.
Dave
Hi Dave,
What components are you concerned with that don't "match completely"?
Have you done a CNC Control Conversion before? Do you have basic electrical/electronic skills?
Your Leadshine drives should be fine. Your proximity sensors are NPN Normally Open.
I see you have a Delta VFD. Please take a better picture of the front of it and the label on the side of it and post it.

Ask your questions.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
dweber

Post by dweber »

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN ... IzcDc5WHlR
I added 4 pictures to my photo link hopefully it still works..
In the wizard it gives 3 leadshine drivers and none match mine. I know you said I would be able to use one but which one should I use. My choices were throw a dart to pick one or ask the forum. Also the delta VFD and spindle is something I was working on verifying.
No I have not done a cnc conversion. Yes I have electrical skills. I have had specialized electronic training. I have watched 3 of the wizard videos and each of them were for mills and not cnc routers. While there is not much difference but I feel there is just enough on setting limits witches and home settings to make me stop and reevaluate my decisions. But that (I hope) is where this forum comes in to help me. Yes I know how to read wiring diagrams and yes I have some computer skills. My skills are nowhere what yours are, that is why I asked in the beginning to verify my connections.
Dave
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Hi Dave, no worries at all about your drive not being in the wizard list, most aren't as there are simply too many to cover them all. You can easily create your own "custom" drive parameters for the DM-542-05 drive. In fact, I still have the first CNC router I converted and it has the same drives you have. More about that in a minute.

Did you buy a DB25 breakout board for the Acorn? These drives are 5v and will wire up to the DB25 on the Acorn, not the green headers on the Acorn. This is what you need if you don't already have it. This is the same part listed on Centroid's site with the same link to Amazon. You have to have this to wire up your drives. Here's a link for you:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073R ... 965d6ae5a

Back to your drives, your DM-542 drives will go wire for wire from the RichAuto drive to the breakout board that plugs into the Acorn. You wont need to adjust anything on the drives, leave them as they are. I can help you create a "custom" drive for your DM-542 and show you my settings in the wizard. Don't worry that it's not in "the list". The DIP switches on your drive show that the drives are setup for 1600 steps per rev, mine are set the same. You wont need to change any DIP switches.

Your limits switches will do the same, wire up very easy, wire for wire from the Richauto to the Acorn. Very simple to do. Marty noted your limit switches are NO switches, NC are preferred but yours will still work just fine. Once wired to the Acorn we can set up the inputs for home/limits and set your soft limits for the table.

Your VFD will require one simple program change in the parameters so the Acorn can control the speed. It'll also wire to the Acorn and there's a diagram to show you how. Have a look at diagram S14983 for wiring a "generic" VFD to Acorn. Yours is currently setup with the bare minimum of wiring , just enough to tell it to "spin forward". This will get you moving and later you can wire up the fault output and reset lines if you want, recommended but not required.

I can help in any way I can to get you up and running. Let me know when you have the breakout board and we'll start the switch over. This will be pretty easy and with your knowledge it'll be a no brainer I'm sure.
dweber

Post by dweber »

Thanks Shawn.
This is the acorn kit I purchased including the cncpc so cnc12 was installed already. No I did not buy
the DB breakout board as I was given the impression the controller kit was all I needed.
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... oller.html
At this point this what I had on my drawing board.
Limit switches according to diagram s14955
Stepper motors into H2 and H3 with connections at st1 and dr1 etc. 5v would be connected to power supply.
H8 to VFD.
I won't be able to work on it for the next week but I will have connection with this thread. Thank You for your continued support.
Dave
dweber

Post by dweber »

Shawn,
If I buy the breakout board I assume this means the cable also.
Dave
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

You will not need the cable, the DB25 break out board plugs right into the Acorn and you run the wires to it.

The limit switch diagram you reference is fine, X1, X2 & X3 on your RichAuto will go to IN1, IN2 & IN3 on the Acorn. Set those inputs to "FirstAxisHomeLimitOk", "SecondAxisHomeLimitOk" and "ThirdAxisHomeLimitOk" respectively. X4 on your Rich Auto (CUT) is probably the Z axis touch plate which is conductive I assume. You can wire that to IN4 and set it to "ProbeTripped". If it's a conductive plate then set the input to NO. If it's an actual touch probe with a switch then you'll have to determine if it's NO or NC and set the input accordingly.

As for wiring the steppers to the Acorn headers this is not standard practice and there is no diagram that I've seen showing a stepper driver hooked to the Acorn headers. Follow the diagrams provided by Centroid. The moment you veer off into the weeds and wire your system your way it's that much harder getting you back on the road again. You could possibly have issues that you'll need to trouble shoot later. All stepper drive diagrams from Centroid show wiring stepper drives to the DB25. Why I wonder? All 3 Leadshine diagrams show this as well. The rule of thumb from Centroid and on the forum is that the headers are for servos and the DB25 is for steppers. My suggestion is to buy the breakout board and follow standard wiring practices provided by Centroid. It's an $8 part and you will have it before you get back to working on the machine.

H8 will wire to your VFD as it's analog speed signal and you'll need to wire the DCM and FWD connection from your VFD to the relay board and set whichever output you pick to "SpinFWD". I dont have the manual for your VFD but you'll need to change one of the parameters and also wire up the H8 output from the Acorn to the inputs on your VFD. Again, reference S14983 and your VFD manual for this wiring.
Last edited by ShawnM on Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dweber

Post by dweber »

Shawn,
I really want to stay out of the weeds so thank you. With the breakout board do I need any cable to go with it? Other than the H2 & H3 My wiring matches what you came up with other than the extra wire for the VFD.
Dave
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

dweber wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:40 pm Shawn,
I really want to stay out of the weeds so thank you. With the breakout board do I need any cable to go with it? Other than the H2 & H3 My wiring matches what you came up with other than the extra wire for the VFD.
Dave
Nope, you don't need a cable Dave, The breakout board plugs right into the side of the Acorn. Then you wire your steppers into the breakout board. And yes, the VFD will need a signal from the Acorn for speed, that's the H8 connection you referred to (that you currently don't have) and the DCM and FWD wires that are already there go to the relay board along with some wizard programming. Once I see a manual for your VFD we can determine where the 2 wires from H8 go to on your VFD and what programming parameter needs to be changed so Acorn can control the speed.