Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: retro fit Laguna/RichAuto

Post by dweber »

I am quite sure the reason the line voltage affected the computer is the one supplied from centroid doesn't have a battery in it. A battery runs the computer while line voltage charges the battery so noise or changes in line voltage doesn't affect the computer performance. I will most likely install a battery backup to help with noise. That's part of why tower unit computers are always recommend to have battery backup. Not sure how your large commercial machines other than they run on 220.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

dweber wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:59 am I am quite sure the reason the line voltage affected the computer is the one supplied from centroid doesn't have a battery in it. A battery runs the computer while line voltage charges the battery so noise or changes in line voltage doesn't affect the computer performance. I will most likely install a battery backup to help with noise. That's part of why tower unit computers are always recommend to have battery backup. Not sure how your large commercial machines other than they run on 220.
That is not an accurate statement. The sole purpose of a motherboard battery in a desktop computer is to retain system BIOS settings and the clock. It has nothing to do with any conditioning.
Your statement about the Centroid supplied Intel NUC PC is incorrect.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Nigelo
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA80C8B8-0905181172
E415F6F70BC3-0318203049
98F07B91FC6B-0123236802

Post by Nigelo »

Perhaps the term "battery backup" used by Dave actually refers to a UPS rather than the coin cell on the motherboard. If so, they usually have power conditioning / filtering on some or all of their outputs

Just a thought
"You can lead a horse to water but you cannot force it to drink"
Hope this helps
Nigel
martyscncgarage

Nigelo wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:25 pm Perhaps the term "battery backup" used by Dave actually refers to a UPS rather than the coin cell on the motherboard. If so, they usually have power conditioning / filtering on some or all of their outputs

Just a thought
Some, not all UPS can do line filtering. The cheaper ones usually don't
This is the statement that is not accurate and caught my attention:
"I am quite sure the reason the line voltage affected the computer is the one supplied from centroid doesn't have a battery in it"
Mesa, AZ
dweber
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by dweber »

Weather my terminology or my description is correct the 110 line voltage to the computer caused me as many problems as the ungrounded shielded wire. I have never had a computer respond like this, but all my other computers had batteries or some kind of UPS. Again this is just my opinion.
Yes this was a bigger project than I thought it would be but i didn't know I had such a poor design to work with because it worked fine with the richauto. I would also like to point out that Shawn thought we should reload CNC12 because we believed it had a corrupt file. I didn't load it the first time. In my opinion nobody is to blame it falls under the "life happens." So we work with it and move on.
I apologize if I have fended any one in the course of getting information. But thank you for that information. Shawn thank you for your time and help, I apologize if you think I took advantage of you but you were so willing to answer the hard question.
Dave
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

I was glad to help Dave, no need to apologize at all. You certainly had some issues I haven't come across before so it was a learning experience for me as well. I now know to ask even more questions when trying to troubleshoot a system. I've done several retrofits myself and assisted on a few others and I just know that noise, where ever it comes from, can wreak havoc on a CNC machine. There is so much going on in the control cabinet, proper wiring practices have to be adhered to of you will continue to have issues. Grounding everything is a must and there seems to be no real standard as to what works and what doesn't. Each system is different so we try what we know to work first and then try again if that doesn't work.

I've never built a CNC PC with a UPS and really never needed to. Again, proper grounding is key. Now if the PC was sitting next to the VFD then all bets are off. :shock:
dweber

Post by dweber »

Thought I would post this to close out the thread. I only got to try the acorn conversion a couple times and it was a great add to my cnc. There was a garage fire that was started form a cordless fillet knife that was charging in the garage. I found out afterwards there was a recall on this knife because it fails and starts fires. I lost all equipment, so if you have a cordless fillet knife check for recalls.
In checking for a replacement cnc I find that everyone has started using the hand held controls and that is what I was trying to get away from. I feel like I am the only one who likes a full screen to work from.
I could buy another Laguna and convert it to acorn, I know how to do that conversion. Could use a few suggestions.
Dave
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

So sorry to hear this Dave but at least you are safe. Material items can be replaced. I guess I'm one of the few outcasts that doesn't want or use any handheld controller. My keyboard and mouse are wireless and do everything I need on my machine. I don't see the need for one on my smaller machine. I have macros and VCP buttons that do pretty much all the automation I need at this time and my keyboard is always close by.

Buying another Laguna to simply gut it and retrofit it to Acorn would be expensive in my opinion, you are paying for the name only when on the inside it's all Chinese parts. In fact the machines are made there anyway. I feel there are better ways to do this depending on your budget.

Good luck in your search for a new machine.
Last edited by ShawnM on Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dweber

Post by dweber »

Yeah, to what you said. I would be looking at the 2x3 bed machine. I found a couple I like but then I am getting into that $20,000.00 machine. Hoping for a lower price.
martyscncgarage

Dave, sorry to hear what happened. I hope your family is ok. Find a nice used machine and upgrade it.
Mesa, AZ