Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

G540 Taig mill step settings

Post by J_Foreman »

I had to reinstall cnc12 last night and I lost my configuration. I need to know what to set my step setting too. It’s a Taig mill with lead screws. I was originally assisted by a forum when I originally set it up about 6 months ago and for the life of me can’t find the info anywhere. Currently the steps are set at 2000 and the machine wants to cut everything very small. 1” of travel is more like .100”. Also, when I reinstalled cnc12, does it matter if I chose inch or mm?
Richards
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: G540 Taig mill step settings

Post by Richards »

My test bench is setup to use inches

In Wizard, select Axis Configuration. Set the Steps/Revolution to the number of steps required to turn the motor's shaft one revolution. For the G540, which has 1:10 stepping, you would enter 2,000. In Overall Turns Ration, you enter the number of turns the shaft must turn to move an axis one inch. If your lead screw requires twenty turns to move an inch, you enter 20. If you have a dial indicator or a dial test indicator, you can fine-tun the setting. My Taig uses ball-screws that move 2.5mm per turn (IIRC), so moving 1-inch requires 10.16 turns.

If you selected millimeters instead of inches when you setup your Mill or Lathe, then you'll need to red carefully the distance that Wizard uses for Overall Turns Ratio.

As far as using Inches or Millimeters, I use inches because everything that I design uses inches. If I used the metric system, I would select Millimeters when setting up the Mill.
-Mike Richards
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: G540 Taig mill step settings

Post by martyscncgarage »

Perhaps the attached excerpts from a Centroid installation manual will help you.
Instead of going INTO CNC12 configuration you can go into the Wizard.

And now that you have been bitten, ALWAYS store a fresh report and a copy of your CNCM director off the CNC PC on a USB stick so you can recover from something like that. ;)
Attachments
Centroid Fine DRO Adjustment.pdf
(459.51 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Centroid Coarse DRO Adjustment.pdf
(162.82 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ