CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Keeping AC & DC Signals Separate

Post by RJS100 »

Hello,

I am assembling a small panel consisting of:

-Acorn board
-Three closed loops stepper drivers (Stepper Online CL86Y) - Can accept AC input power.
- One 12 Nm closed loop stepper
- Two 4 Nm closed loop steppers
- 70V/35V Toroidal transformer
- Two additional din rail mounted axillary transformers

These will be used to convert a PM-728 to CNC.

My original plan used a few inexpensive switching power supplies and my layout completely separated all AC from DC signals. I changed these plans last minute after getting some great comments from posts in this forum. I and am now using a toroidal transformer instead of the switching supplies, and powering the stepper drivers with 35V and 70V AC. As I was getting ready to assemble the panel, I noticed that I no longer had a nice separation of AC and DC. Please see attached.

The purple arrows roughly indicate the 120V AC line voltage and how it will be routed to the toroid and the Meanwell 24V power supply. The blue arrows show the routing of the 35V/70V AC power coming off the secondary windings of the toroid and feeding the stepper drivers (only one stepper driver shown).

The big question: The 120V AC input signals are still mostly contained the lower portion of the panel. The 35V/70V AC signals now run in the wire duct along with the 24V logic wires. There will also be lots of 24V logic signals running across the enclosure and down the right side to the aviation connectors for limit switches, E-stops, Mist valves, Spindle control, Spindle Encoder etc. Do you think this kind of mixing of signals will cause issues?

Thanks... Richard
Attachments
Acorn Panel.pdf
(4.36 MiB) Downloaded 90 times
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Keeping AC & DC Signals Separate

Post by martyscncgarage »

Richard, in the future could you just upload the .jpg image rather than create a PDF of it, which forces us to download it.
I would have tried to keep the toroidal transformer and drives closer to each other.
While you try hard sometimes its not practical. Do what you can to keep 120VAC lines away from inputs and outputs.

Be sure to do a basic bench test with one drive and one motor at a time, then start adding components and testing as you go along.
Check your Error log file for PC/MPU resends. F7 Utilities, F9 Logs F1 Errors.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
RJS100
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Keeping AC & DC Signals Separate

Post by RJS100 »

Marty... Thanks for you reply. Greatly appreciated! I will certainly bench test and review the error logs as you noted. Thanks again... Richard