New build Avid CNC pro 4896 - movement speeds.

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

icewall
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

New build Avid CNC pro 4896 - movement speeds.

Post by icewall »

Hi, my new machine is finally ready. But I have some questions I dont know the answer to :) Running 4.62 router if I remember correct.
Fast and slow speeds. The machine is able to go 1000 inch per min. Convert 1000 inch/min to mm/min is 25400mm per min.
Speed settings on my acorn seems to be max is 2000 mm/min. Any number above is not allowed, wizzard state.
Still that is faster then my old machine. But not near the speeds I should be able to run the machine.

Anyone that has a Avid pro or other that can give me some pointers they use in their settings? I use metric setting in Acorn.

Thanks for any help I can get :)
Attachments
motor config.PNG
Stepper_config.PNG
report_0035FF8E05E9-1105203913_2021-03-18_06-29-07.zip
(663.24 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Last edited by icewall on Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: New build Avid CNC pro 4896 - movement speeds.

Post by martyscncgarage »

You don't provide enough information for us to give you good suggestions. Please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Screen shots of your Axis configuration, posting a report so we can see your system settings, make/model of your axis drives, what motor steps per reve you have set, your overall turns ratio all that comes into play.
My hunch is you have motor steps per rev set too high in your axis driver. But that's just a guess...because I can't "SEE" what you "SEE" ;)

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
icewall

Post by icewall »

ty, have uploaded the files. and screenshoots.
running stepperonline CL86Y with closed looped nema 34.
The Avid uses a 3.2:1 reduction system: https://www.avidcnc.com/pro-rack-and-pi ... p-226.html

Since I dont know a lot about optimal setting for this machine. Avid uses MACH 4 in their package.

The R&P system is based on a pinion with a 1" pitch circle. The total linear distance traveled per revolution of the pinion is thus 3.14159". With the 3.2:1 reduction, this means that the distance traveled per motor revolution is 3.14159 / 3.2, or 0.9817". If you have a stepper with 200 steps per revolution, this means you have 200 / 0.9817" = 203.718 steps per inch, or 0.004908" per step. With 10x microstepping , you would have 2037.18 steps per inch, or 0.0004908" per step.

I used the Acorn template at 4000 steps per revolution.
Guess that's way to many steps. Will change to 1000 or less.
icewall

Post by icewall »

There is a bug in the wizard if you use metric. Slow and fast speed cannot be changed over 2000mm/min. If do the change from normal setup (F2) you can increase to what you need for me 1000 inch/min = 25400mm/min
Did figure out the overall turn ratio. For me that is 0.9817" in metric. Did some tests and all is correct.

Should be easy to test and find the bug, clean install - select metric - try to change change speed over 2000 mm/sec in wizard. Guess the wizard was created for inches.
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Hi. ok checking into it. fyi you can always go set max rates in CNC12.

the report you posted has a metric turns ratio of 5 for XYZ.

to increase the max rate, you have several options.
1.) lower the steps per rev on the DRIVE and the Wizard (for instance change to 2000 would double the max rate)
2.) change the physical (mechanical) overall turns ratio of the machine tool and set the matching value in the Wizard.

send a fresh report with the proper overall turns ratios.
be sure to review. viewtopic.php?f=63&t=1801
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

icewall wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:50 am ty, have uploaded the files. and screenshoots.
running stepperonline CL86Y with closed looped nema 34.
The Avid uses a 3.2:1 reduction system: https://www.avidcnc.com/pro-rack-and-pi ... p-226.html

Since I dont know a lot about optimal setting for this machine. Avid uses MACH 4 in their package.

The R&P system is based on a pinion with a 1" pitch circle. The total linear distance traveled per revolution of the pinion is thus 3.14159". With the 3.2:1 reduction, this means that the distance traveled per motor revolution is 3.14159 / 3.2, or 0.9817". If you have a stepper with 200 steps per revolution, this means you have 200 / 0.9817" = 203.718 steps per inch, or 0.004908" per step. With 10x microstepping , you would have 2037.18 steps per inch, or 0.0004908" per step.

hi please read this post... viewtopic.php?f=63&t=1801

proper procedure....

#1 be sure to bench test the motor drive and wizard steps per rev with the motor not connected to the machine.

#2 you can calculate overall turns ratio with the reduction and the pinion teeth # and rack teeth # per distance... BUT always as a reality check...reinstall the motor and then please physically move the axis motor 1 turns and see how far the AXis moves. (overall turns ratio has nothing to do with steps per rev please avoid mixing the two subjects, please see the dont do it like mach post above. thanks.)
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

1mm per turn of the motor is alot of turns per mm of movement for a router please go double check your numbers. typically racks with a reduction are in the 15 mm to 25mm of movement per turn of the axis motor.
icewall

Post by icewall »

I have sorted it out. As you can see from my last post. My turnratio was 5 since i did not really understand that settings. It has been changed.
So all is fine. did a 250cm move test and movement is spot on.
So all is fine in this speed and all is perfect.
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

ok. great.. 5 mm per turn of the axis motor is still low for a router (that is milling machine territory).
how about a photo of the rack with a tape measure beside it. how many teeth per distance? and how many teeth on the pinion?

for example the router i'm working this week on has a 10:1 gear reduction with rack and pinion... and 1 turn of the axis motor yields 15mm of movement. (1 turn of the pinion yields 150 mm of movement)
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

icewall wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:07 pm I have sorted it out. As you can see from my last post. My turnratio was 5 since i did not really understand that settings. It has been changed.
So all is fine. did a 250cm move test and movement is spot on.
So all is fine in this speed and all is perfect.
Can you post a FRESH report?

One thing you must understand.
Your axis motor drive setting needs to equal the steps/per motor revolution in the Wizard.
So IS your drive set to 4000 steps per motor revolution as you show it in your screen shot 4000 steps per motor revolution?
That number is STATIC, it does not change
What DOES change is the overall turns ratio.

When I setup a router, with a rack, (or anything I don't want to bother trying to figure out the overall turns ratio on)
I set the Wizard steps per motor revolution to match the axis motor drive settings.

Then I chuck up a pointed bit and lay a tape measure on the table
Starting at zero, I zero out my part position.
Then using MDI, I command the router to move a given distance. Let's say I ask it to move 10" but it moves 20"
Commanded distance moved divided by distance actually moved in this case is .5 (10/20=.5)
Then that number is multiplied BY the CURRENT value in the Overall turns ratio field in the Wizard. Let's say its 5.
or .5x5=2.5
The 2.5 is the NEW number to be put in the Overall Turns Ratio field in the Wizard.
Once I do that I take it a step further and then use a dial indicator and repeat the above process to "FINE TUNE" the axis

Doing it this way, saves the headache and time of trying to determine the machine's overall turns ratio.

See the two attached documents to give you the idea

The take away is steps per motor revolution in the Wizard Axis Configuration screen, MATCHES the axis drive settings and is never touched again, UNLESS you change the settings of the drive. Everything else is done doing the calculations and changing the Overall Turns ratio value.

Marty
Attachments
Centroid Fine DRO Adjustment.pdf
(459.51 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Centroid Coarse DRO Adjustment.pdf
(162.82 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ