Centroid Acorn 0-10V Analog Control Help (Resolved)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

KJNC
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF8A2978-1009203821-MPU12-System
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Centroid Acorn 0-10V Analog Control Help (Resolved)

Post by KJNC »

I apologize for bother everyone here but had an issue and cannot find a solution.
I've finally gotten around to setting up my VFD so that it accepts 0-10V analog signal for frequency control.

(Edit)
Original control is from here:
https://www.avidcnc.com/plug-and-play-n ... en8t3lluf0
The Smooth Stepper was removed, another DIN mount Meanwell PSU was added for the Acorn, and some adjustments were made--but that cabinet and setup is what I have. I'm not having any success with this--I understand there are many nuances but none is strange...

I will get wiring photos shortly--but to simply get the VFD to work for testing purposes is my current goal and thus far the machine has ran flawlessly for 40+ hours running very long programs with the Acorn board.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*The Centroid Acorn does read 0-10V as one would expect with requested MDI commands via multimeter.
*The VFD will detect these changes and show the respective frequency--when the 3 phase motor is NOT spinning/running.
*When the VFD is active the voltage sags and therefore there is no control--it will not got above the minimum HZ threshold set.
*With the Acorn not connected and the VFD's native 10V supply jumped to the analog control the VFD will go to the maximum speed allowed.

(I did not connect connect the Acorn to the 10v supply on the VFD or short anything out)

*I'm using 16 AWG double shielded VFD cable, the 0-10V Analog signal cable has a single shield, and all cables are grounded on only one end in a star configuration.

I did get rather frustrated and took some unshielded 18 AWG wire to see if that'd work--strangely it actually did but with significant noise.

I do own another setup non Centroid setup with a VFD and it's ran flawlessly for many years but I lack the expertise to diagnose or think of where to look.

My only thought is perhaps the VFD is demanding more current for the signal than the Acorn can supply.
The only hack I can think of is to get a 0-10V to 4-20ma current signal converter--but I'd prefer to keep things stock/simple if possible.
Attachments
report_0035FF8A2978-1009203821_2021-03-17_16-49-00.zip
(662.07 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
Last edited by KJNC on Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Centroid Acorn 0-10V Analog Control Help

Post by martyscncgarage »

Info on VFD tuning here: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=1650
It would be good if you followed this post: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Description of your machine, make and model of the VFD, pictures of your wiring/control cabinet, etc. would be helpful for us to make better suggestions to help you.

You did run the spindlebenchtest file during your Acorn bench test?

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
KJNC
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF8A2978-1009203821-MPU12-System

Post by KJNC »

Marty,

Thank you for the response.

I understand the aim of providing such ample information, however, I think I will remove the Acorn from the cabinet, and have it on a test bench attached to the VFD--so that if there's still an issue that there's significantly less variables to address.
(link to controller I retrofitted and attached Report was edited into first post)

VFD is a L-510, is powered on its own 220V circuit, there is ground continuity between circuits (star grounding), and I own 2 other VFDs--so I may swap them out (Delta VFD-M & Sunfar E300) to see if the problem goes away.

Machine is an Avid Benchtop Standard with Avid OEM NEMA 23 Controller that I retrofitted with a Centroid Acorn.
---------------------

If it does in fact work on the bench with the VFD then obviously there's something else wrong--I'd strongly prefer it to be my fault and not the Acorn.

I've not seen a source for the Spindle Bench Test files--I simply tested it on the machine with the motors off, adjusted settings, and never got around to getting the VFD switched from the control knob over to the traditional 0-10V control... I did not see the files for it--documentation is a bit scattered but I realize it takes time, that this isn't a $10K premade control system (IE I may need to pay for support or otherwise do my leg work), and that an install manual is likely in the works.

I see some ability to diagnose what's going on through a bench test and swapping VFDs out.
I was hoping this was a more typical issue where potential solution may come to mind--but realize that such may not be the case, and could take some time to figure out.
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

Here is a video I did on the spindle bench test.
Run it on your Acorn. Be sure to set Wizard spindle speeds to 0 for low and 3000 for high. This test will tell you if Acorn analog output is working ok
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=5599

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

If there is a "typical issue" here, my guess would be the oscillation or distortion in the analog signal, which a handful of people have experienced with various VFDs.

If that is the issue, you might try installing either a single 0.1uF capacitor across the analog output (from analog out, to analog common); or installing a resistor capacitor network there: One 0.1uF capacitor, paralleled with a 0.1uF capacitor in series with a 10-Ohm resistor.

See viewtopic.php?f=60&t=5364&p=46032
MarkRH

Post by MarkRH »

KJNC
After following Marty's video to confirm that you have 0-10v, use page 43 of the teco L-510 manual to set parameters (mode) 00-02 (long hold enter) set to 1 (enter) and (mode) 00-05 (long hold enter) set to 2
The external run/stop supplies its own voltage s1-s5, run this thru one of the acorn output relays and set that one in wizard.
You can jump s1 to common on the vfd for testing. 3-09, 3-10 in manual.
I just set mine up and the voltage was bouncing around a little until I grounded the sheild. Now it works good
jumps4
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38d2697ca033-0611180974 mpu12

Post by jumps4 »

I get a error running the spindle bench test:
It says it cannot open the "c:\cncm\testingresults.txt" file
I'm using a Lathe
can I just edit the program to replace all cncm to cnct and then us the program for lathe?
and the testingresults.text file does not exist on my computer. Do I need to create one?

Steve
No Brains, No Headaches...
jumps4

Post by jumps4 »

I answered my own question...
here are two versions of spindle bench test 1 for mill 1 for turn if anyone needs them
Steve
Attachments
spindlebenchtest Turn.cnc
(4.37 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
spindlebenchtest Mill.cnc
(4.37 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

hello. update to latest version of cnc12 and this is fixed. v4.6+
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
jumps4

Post by jumps4 »

I took Marty's advice and updated to v4.64 the other day.
I must have copied over it when I moved my NC files from v4.18.
hello... thanks
Steve