CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

2 seperate paired axis.

Post by JaysonS »

Hey everyone,

I'm a little new to this entire thing and I have made it quite far with the little knowledge I have.

I have a few questions and some issue with my build.

I used the acorn controller to build a hot wire cutting for styrofoam. Very basic machine has two clear path servo motors to move the gantry along the x axis and 2 clear path servo motors to move the y axis.

Currently I have them mechanically paired and the machine is cutting the patterns I want. But we bump into an issue of one of the motors not working sometime which leaves the opposite motor running on its own. * Is there any suggestions on how I would resolve this issue? Maybe the software detects the one motor isn't working and gives me and error?*

I wonder weather or not it's possible to pair the 2 motors on the x axis together with software and the 2 motors on the y axis together with software?

If there is anyone out there who has done something similar and can give me a quick rundown on how, that would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help! 🙏🏾🙏🏾
Last edited by JaysonS on Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
robtown
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA78F172-1129181385

Re: 2 seperate paired axis.

Post by robtown »

So it's always the same motor doing this?

Have you swapped motors around to see if the problem follows the motor?
JaysonS

Post by JaysonS »

The problem doesn't seem to always be the same motor. It's kind of random. I've done a little more research and some tried putting in some pull up resistors. Problem still seems to exist.
teknic_servo
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by teknic_servo »

Hi JaysonS,
Welcome to the forum. A lot of great people here that can provide helpful advice.

The ClearPath motors have an HLFB output (High Level FeedBack) that should be set to "Servo On". When the motor is enabled, this output is at a high (or "true") logic state. If the motor is disabled or in a protective shutdown state, the HLFB output will be low logic state (or "false").

The Acorn is used to monitor these signals. When one motor shuts down, all of the motors should be commanded by the Acorn to be disabled to keep the motors from moving independantly.

Many users have used the C86ACCP board from CNC4PC to combine these HLFB ouput signals with a relay that is on that board. I am sure there are other ways to use the HLFB ouput as well using the Acorn. The Centroid folks will have to chime in for that information.

In addition, the ClearPath motors have shutdown messages that can be seen in Teknic's MSP software using a USB cable and a computer. You should know what the ClearPath shutdown is for proper troubleshooting. There is more information avaialble in the ClearPath User Manual (https://www.teknic.com/files/downloads/ ... manual.pdf).

Hope that helps,
Tom T.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

JaysonS,
I does not sound to me like you are using a drive fault input. Where as if one motor/drive faults, the control will stop all motion.
In my recent video series, I have found that Clearpath Power4-HUB https://www.teknic.com/POWER4-HUB/
Is a nice addition for $49. You branch out to your motors with it instead of coming directly off your power supply. You feed it with a separate 24VDC power supply. When main motor power is removed by the Estop contactor (you are using an estop contactor aren't you?) Power4-Hub keeps logic power up to the drives. This allows you to still see the blink codes and to use the MSP software to see what the error code is on the offending drive.

Since you provided no pictures or details of your build, how you wired it up, its tough to give you good suggestions.
Follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383

I don't think Centroid considered pairing 2 axis. Its a good idea though. Will run it up the flag pole for a possible future enhancement.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Gary Campbell
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Post by Gary Campbell »

You need to get all motors HLFB signal connected to a "DriveOK" alarm signal. You will need to most likely need a 6 channel relay module.

This will allow you to use hardware pairing on any axis.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Gary Campbell wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:25 pm You need to get all motors HLFB signal connected to a "DriveOK" alarm signal. You will need to most likely need a 6 channel relay module.

This will allow you to use hardware pairing on any axis.
this is what i would do. simple and will provide you the performance and functionality you are after. see the multiple clearpath schematic # 14972 for how to wire up the HLFB signal to the "DriveOK" input on the Acorn, the schematic shows 3 motors you would just follow the wiring and include the 4th motor. and Hardware pairing is a fine way to go for this application.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
JaysonS

Post by JaysonS »

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the responses, you have given me a good idea of what I need to do to fix my issues. I will order the parts and get these solutions in place and provide feedback here!

Thank you very much! I am new to using forums and never thought for a second they would be this helpful.... Thanks again.
JaysonS

Post by JaysonS »

martyscncgarage wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:44 am JaysonS,
I does not sound to me like you are using a drive fault input. Where as if one motor/drive faults, the control will stop all motion.
You are right I wasn't doing this. I have ordered a relay board to address this issue.
martyscncgarage wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:44 am In my recent video series, I have found that Clearpath Power4-HUB https://www.teknic.com/POWER4-HUB/
Is a nice addition for $49. You branch out to your motors with it instead of coming directly off your power supply. You feed it with a separate 24VDC power supply.
When main motor power is removed by the Estop contactor (you are using an estop contactor aren't you?) Power4-Hub keeps logic power up to the drives. This allows you to still see the blink codes and to use the MSP software to see what the error code is on the offending drive.
I do have the power hub installed.
martyscncgarage wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:44 am Since you provided no pictures or details of your build, how you wired it up, its tough to give you good suggestions.
Follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
I will try and post a picture of the build next time I get a chance.
martyscncgarage wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:44 am I don't think Centroid considered pairing 2 axis. Its a good idea though. Will run it up the flag pole for a possible future enhancement.
I think this would be a good addition.
JaysonS

Post by JaysonS »

teknic_servo wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:14 am.
The ClearPath motors have an HLFB output (High Level FeedBack) that should be set to "Servo On". When the motor is enabled, this output is at a high (or "true") logic state. If the motor is disabled or in a protective shutdown state, the HLFB output will be low logic state (or "false").
How can I check if this is happening? I have wired up my relay and have set up the motors with HLFB but I'm getting same voltage when motor is enabled and in shutdown stage, there seems to be no difference or change. I think this is causing the DriveOk function not to work correctly.