CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

AXYZ 4008 with tool change carousel...need some advice

Post by AXYZ4008 »

Hello All,

I have done some deep digging on upgrading my AXYZ 4008 control board and software (5x8 working bed with A1MC controller). I really like what I see from centroid. Seeing as I don't do high production sheet goods, I don't see much of a benefit with upgrading my steppers to servos...thus my problem. I wanted to go with the acorn control board, but it only has 4 controls for steppers. My machine has 5 steppers, 2 on the long x, 1 on the y, 1 on the z, and 1 for the tool change carousel.

I could probably do something like floor mount a tool change rack with a pneumatic controlled flip top lid as I want to preserve the open space at the back of my bed for milling long tables I can pass through the gantry. Being as this is more involved than simply tracing wires and hooking up the new control board, are there any suggestions/recommendations for making this set up work with 1. sticking with steppers 2. using the acorn board 3. keeping my tool change carousel.

Thanks for the input.

Doug
cncsnw

Re: AXYZ 4008 with tool change carousel...need some advice

Post by cncsnw »

You can always use hardware pairing for your X axis drives: connect both drives to the same step-and-direction outputs.
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

couple of ideas on number of axis motors

1.) you can hardware pair the two motors on the Gantry
see this doc. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _guide.pdf

2.) use a different type of ATC that doesn't use a axis motor. or use a separate plc/arduino etc.. to control the stepper motor on the ATC
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
AXYZ4008
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Post by AXYZ4008 »

Great suggestions! Thank you.

I'm excited now.
AXYZ4008

Post by AXYZ4008 »

After reading the squaring/homing docs...I think I will go with controlling the carousel with a plc. I want the functionality of auto homing/squaring. Thanks again.
Ken Rychlik
CNC Control System Serial Number: 80F5B5B92C3A-0213236854

Post by Ken Rychlik »

I had a 4008 that I converted to another system. The Motors are solid on that machine and the drive motors for the gantry are tucked inside the gantry, so there is not much room to change them anyway. The pacific scientific drivers don't play well with acorn or the win system I used. Put some leadshine divers in and you are good to go. The gantry is solid enough that you will not need axis squaring. You can't make it go out of square unless you put a big strain on the motors. I needed to replace the proxy sensors and there was only one on the long axis to begin with by where the echain hooks up to the gantry. They didn't have one on the other side, so you know there was no squaring in the original software. I did a multicam with those same drivers with acorn, and they don't like acorn.
Ken
AXYZ4008

Post by AXYZ4008 »

Already a goldmine here. Thanks for the replies. Ken, that was my understanding, only one proximity sensor on the double motor axis. The only time I've ever knocked that thing out of square was when I snapped a belt on one motor. It was barely perceptible. Don't know why they didn't initially use one motor with ball and screw...

I will look into leadshine drivers. They seem relatively inexpensive, but I don't have the specs of my current drives in front of me. I will probably just remove the carousel and install a rack on the floor that comes up to the same height as the currrent tool pick height. I can put a lid on it that is opened via a pneumatic and thus remove a stepper altogether--and be able to control tool changes with g/m code. I need to preserve the ability to pass a large table (15-20') through the the gantry and thus cannot put it at the back of the table.

The machine is currently up and running and I can program and post from rhinocam and send gcode via AXYZ DNC. However, the motion in 3d paths is less than desirable and it's look ahead is about minutes in the past. Toolpaths could run about 70% faster and 250% smoother with a proper controller.

Quick question...were you able to utilize the installed tool touch off sensor? I don't see any reasons why I cannot. All in all, seeming like a relatively easy job as there is just enough on the machine already to make it work well. Again, thanks for all the input. I'm sure I'll have some more questions when it comes time to integrate. I'm going to start chasing wires and prepare for getting the board.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

fyi..
Acorn probe doc.
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _setup.pdf
and
all Acorn docs are here.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Ken Rychlik

Post by Ken Rychlik »

Mine was not atc and only had an aluminum block for touch off. I installed a switch off to the side of the work area. If you just need a 4' wide work area, a drop in linear rack would be my choice, but I see no reason you can not set up the current rotary for atc. It is possible with atc you have different drivers and motors than I had, but I have worked on a few other axyz's and they all that the same ones. The current drivers, if they are what I think, have dip switches and with a little work, you will see the steps and amp settings on them.
Ken
Ken Rychlik

Post by Ken Rychlik »

I used these. The oem drivers will work, but they are rough and sound horrible. I don't know what axyz does different to drive them, but just passing on what I ended up doing to get it smooth.
http://www.americanmotiontech.com/produ ... e-80v-5.6a
Ken