Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: AXYZ 4008 with tool change carousel...need some advice

Post by martyscncgarage »

bevins wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:55 am Not sure what you guys are getting at. I upgraded the original to linuxcnc and it worked fine.
I am upgrading to acorn and want to use single ended mode cause the drives db25 are already set for single ended mode.

Gary, not sure what you mean by that. Can you clarify?
Many users go the "easy" route and try and connect 5VDC drives to the Acorn headers and do not get them going.

Connect to the DB25 and they should work. Provided they are normally enabled when powered up. (Rotors locked)
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
bevins
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by bevins »

I don't understand it. The docs clearly shows either way works and they even give you examples how to wire them.
I dont get it, but I'll bring a db25 cable just in case though. Is there some undocumented issue with connecting step/dir to the terminals?

I have done over 30 retrofits. Granted most of them are commercial velocity mode +-10v routers with hundreds of I/O, but I have done a few steppers also.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

bevins wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:13 am I don't understand it. The docs clearly shows either way works and they even give you examples how to wire them.
I dont get it, but I'll bring a db25 cable just in case though. Is there some undocumented issue with connecting step/dir to the terminals?

I have done over 30 retrofits. Granted most of them are commercial velocity mode +-10v routers with hundreds of I/O, but I have done a few steppers also.
You need a DB25 male breakout board.
Avanexpress DB25 Breakout Connector D-sub Breakout 25 Pin Connector Male with Nut (Pack of 2)
by Twinkle Bay
Learn more:

Centroid has clearly stated on numerous occasions that 5VDC logic drives should use the DB25 connector It is at 5VDC logic level.
YES, if wired correctly, (Provide +5vdc to the drive +Step and +Dir pins and drive -Step to Acorn header ST and -Dir to Acorn header DIR) many drives will work. Some not so well)

You came here asking for advice, we made our suggestions. Its up to you to decide what is best for your application. We have no idea your experience.
Good luck to you this weekend.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Gary Campbell
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Post by Gary Campbell »

bevins wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:55 am Gary, not sure what you mean by that. Can you clarify?
I will say it real slow: Use.....the.....DB25

The real answer is that the headers provide an open collector signal 5v or 24v and the DB25 provides a line driver signal. The vast majority of inexpensive drives, especially the older ones will only work on line driver signal (5v ttl). Line driver: like mach, like linux, like shopbot, like the vast majority of inexpensive hobby controllers. Acorn provides that signal to be legacy compatible.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
bevins

Post by bevins »

I'll ignore your first sarcastic statement. Your second one makes sense. Thanks. I'll check the acceptable ttl gate levels of the drive and go from there.
bevins

Post by bevins »

Everything went fine. Upgraded to Centroid acorn in 6 hours. Used the terminals not DB25 and it worked great.
Going back tomorrow for extensive testing and trying to find a weird issue.

Sometimes I cant put it in fast jog. Only slow jog. Restart CNC12 and it works in fast jog. I will look some more tomorrow but overall it went well.

Thanks for the help.