Will this VFD and Electric Motor Work With ACORN (and each other)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

ChrisMe
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Will this VFD and Electric Motor Work With ACORN (and each other)

Post by ChrisMe »

I'm going to start building a CNC mini lathe and no off the shelf motor will work and I'm not good with the electrical stuff so I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this VFD and motor are comparable with each other and Centroid Acorn. I need the motor to reverse (I have the lathe set up so parts will not unscrew themselves).

The VFD is the Schneider Altivar 12 ATV12H018M2-

https://www.se.com/uk/en/product/ATV12H ... 2143559138

This is the single phase small motor-

https://www.electrotechdrives.co.uk/pro ... ng-torque/

Will these work? I'm trying not to complicate things to much but if these will work can I add a braking resistor?

Thank for the help.
vw_chuck
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF8FEB5F-0708203490
CNC12: Yes

Re: Will this VFD and Electric Motor Work With ACORN (and each other)

Post by vw_chuck »

VFDs need a three phase motor not a single phase motor. You need to read up on VFDs
ChrisMe
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: No

Post by ChrisMe »

vw_chuck wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:10 am VFDs need a three phase motor not a single phase motor. You need to read up on VFDs
Thank you for the reply. It is appreciated. I don't have access to a 3 phase power supply I only have a standard wall socket. If I have a motor that plugs into a standard wall socked how do I control the speed of it?

Thanks.
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

The VFD converts single phase incoming power into 3-phase power to control the motor. The ability to change motor speeds is dependent on three phases. You will need to select a VFD that is rated for single phase input. The 3-phase motor voltage and the single phase supply voltage must be the same.

You cannot control the speed of a single phase AC motor.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
KJNC
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF8A2978-1009203821-MPU12-System

Post by KJNC »

I've had the pleasure and stress of setting up a few VFDs before on other controllers.
Firstly you must read the manual (to grasp how easy or difficult this is) and watch a few Youtube videos--there will be people who've done what you're wishing to accomplish.

(This guy might have some basic ideas and answers here on what to consider or look for. It may be a waste of time but does show a 3 phase motor and a vfd along with programming... To help you get an idea of what may be going. )

When you find the right setup you're stuck setting it up, navigating the menu, and programming it so it accepts 0-10v analog signal to control the frequency...

Realistically I think you only need 0-10V analog setup but you might want an enable to be setup so the drive can't turn on without a second signal. You may wish to program the VFD to only do a specific speed range according to motor or machine requirements.

You're going to want to consider a shut off switch, a fuse, and breaker (whatever the MFG suggests)--I've never used such measures but I'm told it's a wise idea, and I purposely have my VFD where a fire won't kill me or destroy the shop.