Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 3160
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Hard wired estop

Post by Old_machinist »

I am sure to get blasted here, but I want to know.

I have my Bridgeport running well with Acorn and Gecko G320X drives.
I wired my estop switch to cut all power when hit. I know that is not what was intended, but in an emergency I wanted no doubt at to what was going to have power. I do not use a spindle brake and the quill will not fall with a power off. The computer will not like this I know, but a small price to pay in an emergency situation.

My question is, what problems may I have created by wiring this way?

It would be easy to add an estop switch to work as intended and just leave the present switch as a power on / off. If there is a serious reason to do so, I would be more eager to rewire my control panel. It sure is hard to tear apart something that is running so well.

I did read the schematics before I wired it and I am still willing to be educated on the proper use of an estop. It may be my 50 plus years of running machines that Emergency Stop had the same result as using a disconnect?

Thanks
Charles Hopkins
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Hard wired estop

Post by martyscncgarage »

You don't really want to abruptly power off the CNC PC with Windows 10 running and CNC12 running. File corruption can occur
The correct way to do this
Estop button with 2 NC contact blocks
One block is wired from COM to ESTOP Input8
The other is wired from a power supply (rated for proper current and voltage for the Estop contactor chosen.) TO Output 1 NoFaulOut COM, then from Output 1 NoFaultOut NO contact, to the second NC contact block on the Estop button. Then from the other NC contact block to the coil of the Estop relay, then from the other coil of the Estop relay to the Power supply COM.

Estop contactor should BREAK:
VFD COM
Axis Drive motor power
Also can be used to break power to coolant pump

That's the General IDEA.

I suggest users review and follow the Acorn SYSTEM Schematic (attached for convenience)
Attachments
S15031-ACORN_rev4_STANDARD_SYSTEM_220VAC_Single_Phase.pdf
(398.62 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ