Mean Well Power Supply Substitution (Answered)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

RJS100
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Mean Well Power Supply Substitution (Answered)

Post by RJS100 »

I would like to substitute the Mean Well RD-35B (5V-12V) power supply that comes with Acorn for a Mean Well RT-65D (5V, 12V, 24V) power supply. I will be using 24V logic only and would like to have a bit more 24V current capacity to pull in a small relay and have 12V available for fans and LED lighting. I have attached the specs for both supplies. At 24V, the RT-65D can provide 2A max, while the RD-35B can provide 1.3A. This will give me the bit of extra overhead that I need while also providing 1A at 12V.

Question: The ripple on the RT-65D at 24V is 150m Vp-p while the RD-35B is 120m Vp-p and the voltage tolerance of the RT65D is slightly greater than the RD-35B. Will these slight differences cause any issues if I power the Acorn board off of the RT-65D?

Thanks... Richard
Attachments
RT-65-SPEC.PDF
(106.79 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
RD-35-SPEC.PDF
(88.08 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
Caleb
CNC Control System Serial Number: 780473A2EE6C-1022192587

Re: Mean Well Power Supply Substitution

Post by Caleb »

Personally I keep the the control side power separate from anything else, power supplies are relatively small so the benefits out way for me having;
Easy isolation for fault finding.
Everything else can safely estop without loss of controller communication.
Guaranteed clean logic signals with no noise from coils etc.
Richards

Post by Richards »

Have you looked into the DIN rail mount Meanwell MDR series? I use a lot of the MDR 60-24 and the MDR100-24 power supplies in various projects. They are available with single 5V, 12V or 24V outputs. I use AutomationDirect's multipoint terminal blocks DN-Q12-2-2D2-A and DN-Q12B-2-2-A for easy connections. Those terminal blocks have four common connectors allowing any combination of inputs and outputs. I usually use two or three blocks jumpered together to have seven or eleven outputs in an inch or less DIN rail space. You can also use some "knife-action" DIN rail fuse holders like the UKJ-2.5RD to fuse each load with a 5x20mm fuse or the larger holders for "midget" size fuses 10x38mm.

The power supplies that you listed would work just fine; but, I like to be able to quickly replace any item without removing the sub-panel from the enclosure. DIN rail mounting makes maintenance easier.
-Mike Richards
RJS100

Post by RJS100 »