Acorn 4.62 - JTech Laser 7w (with scott's lightburn workflow)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

mobilemcclintic
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Acorn 4.62 - JTech Laser 7w

Post by mobilemcclintic »

Sword wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:10 am Hello Peter, welcome aboard.

I have a 7watt JTech and use VCP/Aspire with the laser plugin, and I've made a custom post for Aspire that has been working well. You're welcome to try it. It's customized for what I wanted it to do, but can easily be edited to suit. It limits the Z movements, warns that it's a laser toolpath and reminds you for safety glasses, allows for setting PWM velocity modulation or not, and also creates log files for last ran date/time information. If there's anything you don't want in it, it can be edited out. It also turns off smoothing, as that can mess with PWM VM if enabled (it turns back on precision router when finished, so you may want to edit that out). Files are saved as .cncl to distinguish laser toolpaths from normal toolpaths.

Remove the .txt to rename it and place it in your my_postp folder. If you have the laser module, it will show up in the laser toolpath form. If you have any questions, let me know.

Scott
Scott, sorry for bringing up an old thread, is it easy to convert this PP to metric? Is it as easy as changing the references and changing the G code that says what measurement it is using?
Sword
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by Sword »

If you know your way around editing a Vectric post it is. ;) You could take the metric post and open both in an editor, and copy/paste any pertinent parts from one to the other. Post a simple file and read though it to see if it's right and then load it to test out. A little trial and error should get you there.

I've been using LightBurn more now, and have a work flow using a GRBL post with start/end scripts from LB along with a macro in notepad++ that converts and saves the g-code file in just a few seconds.
Scott
grossmsj

Post by grossmsj »

Scott
Would you be willing to share your Lightburn 'workflow'? I have a 15W OPT laser on order. Conveniently, all the wiring for the JTech is the same for OPT.
The 'get it into the Acorn' part will be different from the JTech/Aspire workflow. I could use Aspire too, but I've been demoing Lightburn and like a lot of its more advanced functions.
Sword

Post by Sword »

Sure. In LightBurn, the best device choice to save g-code from has been GRBL. With proper device settings in LB, it outputs the most usable g-code with little editing. After editing it in NotePad++ to remove the M4 and M9, and add M37 at the beginning, you have usable code.

I like a bit more control, so I have setup custom start and end codes in LB to enable the laser, turn on the exhaust fan (M7), and choose if I want velocity modulation or not. The end code does the cool down and turns off the exhaust fan (M9). Once the file is saved, I open it in NotePad++ and run a custom macro on it to remove the G54, M4, M9, M5, and an M2, and then it saves it. This all takes just seconds to do and then it's ready to run.

In LB, I prefer to use Cut Selected Graphics, Use Selected Origin, and Optimize Cut Path. I've also taken the time to test and configure some "Scanning Offset Adjustments". If I remember, there was a good article on that on LB's site somewhere, and possibly YT.

Attached are my Start/End codes. As far as the NotePad++ macro, I'll attach it here too, but you may have to record your own for your needs, as it may only work right with my Lb settings and Start/End codes. It goes in C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++.

Code: Select all

M200 "***THIS IS A LASER FILE***\nTOOL REMOVED FROM SPINDLE!?\nZ AXIS HEIGHT SET?\nSAFETY GLASSES ON!?\nCYCLE START to continue...\nCYCLE CANCEL to get out of here!"

M224 #101 "Do you want PWM VM? (Y or N)"
  IF #101 == y THEN G37 ON   ; Turn on velocity based PWM modulation
  IF #101 == n THEN G37 OFF  ; Turn off velocity based PWM modulation

G17 G20 G90 ; Plane selection XY, units inches, absolute positioning
G64 OFF     ; Turn off smoothing
M7          ; Exhaust fan on
M37         ; Laser enabled and power set to 0%
G4 P2
G0 X0 Y0 Z1
G0 Z0

N100

Code: Select all

M25  ; Move to Z home
G0 X0.000000 Y0.000000

G37 OFF ; Turn off velocity based PWM modulation
M38     ; Cool down and disable laser
M 9      ; Exhaust fan off

N1000
Attachments
shortcuts.xml
(7.29 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Scott
grossmsj

Post by grossmsj »

Thank you very much Scott. This is invaluable.
I truly appreciate your taking the time to create and document this information to help me (and others) get up and running.
grossmsj

Re: Acorn 4.62 - JTech Laser 7w (with scott's lightburn workflow)

Post by grossmsj »

What does one do to set up a different laser?
i have an OPT 15W laser. One of the choices in the Wizard PWM setup is 'I'll setup the PWM myself", rather some variant of "Its a JTech". Presumably that gives laser-specific options? Or not? Are there any other variables that can be controlled other than PWM base frequency?
Sword

Post by Sword »

Set it up in the wizard (and the needed connections) yourself according to the OPT schematic. I/O used is in the chart (upper left). You can use other outputs, but assign the noted designations. Base frequency and min level to fire it is set in the wizard, then you can choose if you want velocity modulation or not, either with your job file, or before you start one by turning it on in MDI with G37 ON, and cancel it with G37 OFF.

https://www.centroidcnc.com/dealersuppo ... 061.r3.pdf
Scott
grossmsj

Post by grossmsj »

Okay. Thank you Scott.

The hardware setup is almost identical to my previous JTech, so that was easy. The recommended wiring is a little bit different now.
https://optlasersgrav.com/manuals/Acorn ... iring.html

It sounds like the only things we can control are the two offered in the Wizard. I didn't want to leave anything else on the table if there were options. This is all working well now. I spent the day optimizing things and getting used to the fairly significant differences between the two lasers' performance.

I found using Velocity Modulation was modestly helpful with this project, which is a lot of graphic fills.
Sword

Post by Sword »

Yes, I generally turn off VM with fills, and use overscanning in LB (3% for my machine). Where VM really comes into play, is with outlines of shapes and text, so corners don't get over lased (burnt).
Scott
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

laser setup doc has been updated. latest is here.

https://www.centroidcnc.com/dealersuppo ... ds/326.pdf
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html