Acorn 4.62 - JTech Laser 7w (with scott's lightburn workflow)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

peter.arnold
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Acorn 4.62 - JTech Laser 7w (with scott's lightburn workflow)

Post by peter.arnold »

Hello Centroid Forum,

I'm looking for some direction in finding a post processor to use with the new pwm laser function inside of Acorn CNC. I can use either vCarve or Fusion360, both have post processors available for Acorn CNC. I want to start using my new J Tech 7w laser in addition to the spindle. Is there a post processor available for either CAM program (fusion360 or vcarve) and Centroid Acorn CNC that will enable laser control?

Let me know if you need any more information.

Enjoy the Day
-Peter
louielc
CNC Control System Serial Number: E415F6F6649E-0904203695

Re: Acorn 4.62 - JTech Laser 7w

Post by louielc »

Hello Peter,
Sorry to be the guy to recommend something else, but I do use Fusion 360 for design and a 7 watt Jtech and was never able to get it just right for post and using a laser. So on someone's recommendation i tried Lightburn software, its cheap and for Laser design and gcode, its honestly the easiest thing to use. I know its annoying to have multiple programs, but depending on what you are using it for it may help. I would try the trial. You can literally just upload a jpeg picture and start burning it a minute later once you figure it out, or even design things in the program.

Louie
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

+1 for Lightburn. I use it on my 60W laser...
I think there was effort to have the author of Lightburn directly support Acorn. Not sure if that effort gained traction or not....
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Sword
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by Sword »

Hello Peter, welcome aboard.

I have a 7watt JTech and use VCP/Aspire with the laser plugin, and I've made a custom post for Aspire that has been working well. You're welcome to try it. It's customized for what I wanted it to do, but can easily be edited to suit. It limits the Z movements, warns that it's a laser toolpath and reminds you for safety glasses, allows for setting PWM velocity modulation or not, and also creates log files for last ran date/time information. If there's anything you don't want in it, it can be edited out. It also turns off smoothing, as that can mess with PWM VM if enabled (it turns back on precision router when finished, so you may want to edit that out). Files are saved as .cncl to distinguish laser toolpaths from normal toolpaths.

Remove the .txt to rename it and place it in your my_postp folder. If you have the laser module, it will show up in the laser toolpath form. If you have any questions, let me know.

Scott
Attachments
Centroid_Laser_Inch_NoZHop.pp.txt
(7.65 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
Scott
peter.arnold

Post by peter.arnold »

@louielc, That is a great suggestion. It makes sense that the other programs are not oriented for that workload and a dedicated laser program would be much better. I will definitely try and get Lightburn going. Perfect.

@martyscncgarage, Thanks for validating the Lightburn suggestion! p.s. you do excellent content work bravo

@louielc & martyscncgarage, Do you have any more specific information on what was required to get Acorn going with Lightburn, for example a post processor or configuration. I have yet to dive into it, just wanted to make sure I could at least theoretically support myself in the endeavor. I attached a screen shot of Lightburn where I need to start configuring a machine. Are any of these a good starting point to generate Acorn gcode?

@Sword, That post file for Vectric was exactly what I was looking for as a jumping off point, that's a great option to have on deck. My only hangup with the solution is it seems that vectric might have discontinued there laser plugin. I will contact them to verify, but that worries me. Regardless, between Lighburn with hopeful Acorn support, and Vectric with a custom post, I should be good to go. Thanks so much for your time comment and code.
Attachments
Screenshot_2.png
louielc

Post by louielc »

Hey Peter,
I personally just create the project and then export it as gcode, upload to acorn and burn, no need to do anything else, Lightburn can actually connect to other machines directly and send code like a controller, which is what i think they are working on. You just need to setup your machine. I jsut use the GRBL profile. It even works with 4th axis burning for me, there is a setting in the program if you have one. The only thing i add is

M37 to the start Gcode
M38 to the End.
peter.arnold

Post by peter.arnold »

@louielc, Thanks so much that's exactly what I needed, I was slightly confused about how that played out. Enjoy your day, thanks for the time and comments
louielc

Post by louielc »

No problem at all
Sword
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by Sword »

Hey Peter,

As far as I know, the laser module is still available. https://portal.vectric.com/laser

I've used the LightBurn trial a little and just used the generic GRBL config. I'll probably buy it sometime, but since I'm well versed in Aspire, it meets my needs. One thing I don't like about LB, and this might be able to be changed, is that it uses G91 (relative positioning) for it's output (personal preference). Not sure that the post processor can be easily edited to add in the needed PWM commands either, but haven't dug into it. Must be a place to edit the user start script.
Scott
peter.arnold

Post by peter.arnold »

Great find on that laser module, I'm not sure how I couldn't get to it... I am also pretty well versed in Vectric so I will probably start there with your post processor. Thanks for the follow up