Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF8A1900-10082038
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Acorn + Clearpath success stories?

Post by carboncymbal »

Are there many out there who have had success with Acorn and Clearpath? I am in the middle of rebuilding my poorly built panel (purchased from and “experienced” vendor)). I know of multiple people who have a challenge with proper signals going from the Acorn to the clearpath. I’m wondering, are there many successful examples of Clearpath servos in use with ACORN??

So, do you have a success story? If so can you share it?
Gary Campbell
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Re: Acorn + Clearpath success stories?

Post by Gary Campbell »

I have done a dozen plus Acorn and ClearPath systems, along with close to that many running WinCNC. Other than the occasional "step input timing" error that creeps in after some number of months, they have performed flawlessly
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
carboncymbal

Post by carboncymbal »

Gary Campbell wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:32 pm I have done a dozen plus Acorn and ClearPath systems, along with close to that many running WinCNC. Other than the occasional "step input timing" error that creeps in after some number of months, they have performed flawlessly
That is great to hear. Do you know what contributes the the step input timing error? Have you found a solution tk that?

I found that I got that error immediately while running at low RPM on my spindle. I have gone to drastic measures to protect against EMI to try to address the issue, but haven’t tested the changes quite yet (this weekend hopefully).
stutaylo
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by stutaylo »

I've just bought 4 SDSK-3421S-RLN Servos to run with an Acorn on my AVID Pro 6060 CNC router, I've set them up on the bench and run with no issues, machine will be here shortly to tune and install
Gary Campbell

Post by Gary Campbell »

That is great to hear. Do you know what contributes the the step input timing error? Have you found a solution tk that?
I've found that it is more prevalent on Acorn's 24v open collector signal than on WinCNC's 5v.

Also that in a number of cases the problem didn't start for until the machine had a few months of run time.

Solutions are to install the resistors as per the Teknic manual along with proper grounding and installation of EMI filters.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
carboncymbal

Post by carboncymbal »

Gary Campbell wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:13 am
I've found that it is more prevalent on Acorn's 24v open collector signal than on WinCNC's 5v.

Also that in a number of cases the problem didn't start for until the machine had a few months of run time.

Solutions are to install the resistors as per the Teknic manual along with proper grounding and installation of EMI filters.

That is great to hear. I am installing the resistors. I have independent emi filters on the ac inputs of the VFD, 24v power supply, and 70v linear power supply. I also have the spindle power cable going through a ferrite (automation direct zero phase reactor) and a load reactor.

Do you have any other suggestions?

It is odd that the issue comes up after several months, that is the experience with another individual that I know, he had no issues for about 18 months. Any idea why it would change over time?

Thanks,
Clay
Gary Campbell

Post by Gary Campbell »

To remove all questions regarding my systems, I only use Teknic power supplies, and their power and control wires. I can't say if either is the culprit, but it deserves a look.

You can also revert the ClearPath firmware to a previous version that didn't implement the "check for step timing" feature.

An issue starting after time has past is usually due to something changing. This could be a component in the VFD, the Acorn system, or even in the motor controller itself. I'm not sure as I haven't tested this issue on the bench. I am sure that each of the involved mfgrs will say it's not their issue.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
RogDC

Post by RogDC »

I built an Avid CNC Pro 6072 with Acorn and Clearpath servos and CNC Depot S30C ATC Spindle following many of the recommendations on the forum.

The system has been performing well, just make sure to install the resistors on the Teknic control cables if required and follow proper grounding and shielding practices and use RF Filters where required.
carboncymbal

Post by carboncymbal »

RogDC wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:53 pm I built an Avid CNC Pro 6072 with Acorn and Clearpath servos and CNC Depot S30C ATC Spindle following many of the recommendations on the forum.

The system has been performing well, just make sure to install the resistors on the Teknic control cables if required and follow proper grounding and shielding practices and use RF Filters where required.
Are you running clearpath power supplies?