Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF8A1900-10082038
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: New Build: SYIL X4 CNC Mill, Clearpath SDSK, C86ACCP & Centroid Acorn

Post by carboncymbal »

TaylorPilot wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:07 am Enjoying the series. My question is, would it be acceptable to just wire the e stop to kill power to the entire cabinet. i could see a situation where the board or one of the power supplies malfunctioned and start to make magic smoke, and shutting off the power would be a better solution. I guess my question is, what is the advantage to doing it this way, instead of just killing power to everything at once?
I considered that as well, however there are some situations where it can be helpful to render the motion system and spindle safe while still keeping power to acorn. Initial configuration and trouble shooting come to mind, another would be conversational programming where acorn needs to be powered on to access the centroid software . However, I can’t really envision a situation where an immediate removal of power from the acorn would be helpful, by the time you see the blue smoke the damage is likely already done I would think.
TaylorPilot
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: No

Post by TaylorPilot »

carboncymbal wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:35 am
TaylorPilot wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:07 am Enjoying the series. My question is, would it be acceptable to just wire the e stop to kill power to the entire cabinet. i could see a situation where the board or one of the power supplies malfunctioned and start to make magic smoke, and shutting off the power would be a better solution. I guess my question is, what is the advantage to doing it this way, instead of just killing power to everything at once?
I considered that as well, however there are some situations where it can be helpful to render the motion system and spindle safe while still keeping power to acorn. Initial configuration and trouble shooting come to mind, another would be conversational programming where acorn needs to be powered on to access the centroid software . However, I can’t really envision a situation where an immediate removal of power from the acorn would be helpful, by the time you see the blue smoke the damage is likely already done I would think.
That makes sense. And really, there isn't anything keeping me from using two. One to kill motion (like in the video) and another to kill power. I still have an image in my head of something shorting out then going crazy and the acorn not responding to the Estop trigger.
TaylorPilot

Post by TaylorPilot »

Also, where are we on the CNC4PC creating the c86ACCP with terminal blocks. I have reached out to them about 3 times through their website and called 4 times without a single call back. I hope they get them ready to go soon. I am ready to start ordering parts! LOL

(Just to follow up, they sent me an email today saying that they are building them now with the terminal blocks and should have them ready to ship in about 4 weeks)
manwithtools

Post by manwithtools »

It seems to me that the C86ACCP with terminal blocks should be the only version needed. Getting a cable into a control cabinet in a secure and liquid tight manner is no simple feat with a preinstalled connector (If by chance you would like to do so, look into Icotek glands). Also it's impossible to make the installation look neat if you are using a predetermined length of cable. As a matter of fact, I'd as soon buy a Clearpath cable with no connector on the control panel end. Just flying leads would be fine. Let me use a simple CGB to retain the cable and I'll rout it in the most efficient manner and then cut to length and terminate.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

manwithtools wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:03 pm It seems to me that the C86ACCP with terminal blocks should be the only version needed. Getting a cable into a control cabinet in a secure and liquid tight manner is no simple feat with a preinstalled connector (If by chance you would like to do so, look into Icotek glands). Also it's impossible to make the installation look neat if you are using a predetermined length of cable. As a matter of fact, I'd as soon buy a Clearpath cable with no connector on the control panel end. Just flying leads would be fine. Let me use a simple CGB to retain the cable and I'll rout it in the most efficient manner and then cut to length and terminate.
I agree with you. Unless you happen to have the crimping tools for MiniFit Jr pins
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
teknic_servo

Post by teknic_servo »

manwithtools wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:03 pm It seems to me that the C86ACCP with terminal blocks should be the only version needed. Getting a cable into a control cabinet in a secure and liquid tight manner is no simple feat with a preinstalled connector (If by chance you would like to do so, look into Icotek glands). Also it's impossible to make the installation look neat if you are using a predetermined length of cable. As a matter of fact, I'd as soon buy a Clearpath cable with no connector on the control panel end. Just flying leads would be fine. Let me use a simple CGB to retain the cable and I'll rout it in the most efficient manner and then cut to length and terminate.
manwithtools,
Thanks for your comments and I can apprecite your reasoning.

The reason that all cables are terminated on both ends is so that every cable can be fully tested for continuity and for the correct termination. Conducting these tests at the end of the manufacuring process means that the customer does have to chase wiring problems that were caused by the manufacturer. With flying leads on one end, the cable test would be more labor intensive and time consuming. In addition, many customers will use the cable as is and find the termination convenient.

If anyone needs parts numbers for crimp tools, connectors, terminals, or extraction tools, you can find a master list in a chart on page 169 of the ClearPath User Manual:
https://www.teknic.com/files/downloads/ ... manual.pdf
Thanks,
Tom T.
Gary Campbell
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Post by Gary Campbell »

The reason that all cables are terminated on both ends is so that every cable can be fully tested for continuity and for the correct termination. Conducting these tests at the end of the manufacuring process means that the customer does have to chase wiring problems that were caused by the manufacturer. With flying leads on one end, the cable test would be more labor intensive and time consuming. In addition, many customers will use the cable as is and find the termination convenient.
Tom T & other man with tools...
Cables can be made double length, tested, then cut in half to be sold. Or not. I would suggest a 30 (15) and 40 (20) be added to the current (10) and 55 (27.5)
Signed.... Cap't Obvious
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
teknic_servo

Post by teknic_servo »

Gary Campbell wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:20 am
Tom T & other man with tools...
Cables can be made double length, tested, then cut in half to be sold. Or not. I would suggest a 30 (15) and 40 (20) be added to the current (10) and 55 (27.5)
Signed.... Cap't Obvious
Thanks Cap't!

Customers are talking...and Teknic/Centroid are listening. In response to customer requests, Teknic plans to offer 20' cable lengths in the not too distant future (TBD). Teknic is not a custom cable house and currently offers a short cable length (10') and a long cable length (55') to get customers up and running quickly, realizing that everyone wants a specific cable length for their own machine. Our high volume OEM customers have cable houses make specific length cables based on the specific machine model so for the majority of our customer base, this approach works.

I should also mention that many of the functions/features in our products were based on cusotmer feedback. With this in mind, please feel free to use the contact us form on Teknic's website. We will always reply in a timely manner:
https://www.teknic.com/contact/

Also, Gary, I can't tell you how hard it was not to address this response to "Cap't Oblivious". Many times people on forums and social media misinterpret the message. Ironic...right? ;-) All in good humor to one of the best!
Tom T.
embain14

Post by embain14 »

teknic_servo wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:45 am
Customers are talking...and Teknic/Centroid are listening. In response to customer requests, Teknic plans to offer 20' cable lengths in the not too distant future (TBD). Teknic is not a custom cable house and currently offers a short cable length (10') and a long cable length (55') to get customers up and running quickly, realizing that everyone wants a specific cable length for their own machine. Our high volume OEM customers have cable houses make specific length cables based on the specific machine model so for the majority of our customer base, this approach works.

I should also mention that many of the functions/features in our products were based on cusotmer feedback. With this in mind, please feel free to use the contact us form on Teknic's website. We will always reply in a timely manner:
https://www.teknic.com/contact/

Also, Gary, I can't tell you how hard it was not to address this response to "Cap't Oblivious". Many times people on forums and social media misinterpret the message. Ironic...right? ;-) All in good humor to one of the best!
Tom T.
A 20ft cable would have been perfect for my build, 10 ft was cutting it a little close for the z axis, thank you for listening to the end users!
manwithtools

Post by manwithtools »

teknic_servo wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:11 am
manwithtools,
Thanks for your comments and I can apprecite your reasoning.

If anyone needs parts numbers for crimp tools, connectors, terminals, or extraction tools, you can find a master list in a chart on page 169 of the ClearPath User Manual:
https://www.teknic.com/files/downloads/ ... manual.pdf
Thanks,
Tom T.
Meh, testing cables does not require connectors to be on both ends. It's done everyday in the automation industry and other settings. Cables have wire colors, it's easy to keep them sorted correctly. The building of a CNC package using components from Centroid, CNC4PC.COM and others requires the builder to pay attention to wire colors and terminal designations. Your OEM's might find connectorized cables more convenient because it lowers the bar in terms of attention to detail on assembly. For the home brew CNC folks, it's actually a determent to making a clean installation. I don't want to buy more crimpers just to make up three or four cables that I may never need again. Thanks for paying attention to our input.