Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

CNC12 mill or Router?

Post by chrisnet »

I am on the software install for CNC12 at the part where it is asking me to choose Lathe, Mill or Router.
My question is which one should I choose, Mill or Router for my CNC machine?
What are the differences in them?
I am building a Machine like the open Builds LEAD 1515: https://openbuildspartstore.com/lead-cn ... 5-60-x-60/
I will be adding a 4th axis for a Lathe later.
Thanks
RogDC
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Re: CNC12 mill or Router?

Post by RogDC »

Chrisnet, if you haven't purchased a Millpro or Routerpro license, you will probably want to choose the Router as the VCP is configured more for a CNC Router than a Mill. Both will work, but the pro license needs to match the install version. For example if you purchase a Millpro license, the license will not work on the CNCRouter, and CNC Router Pro will not install on the CNC Mill.

If you need the 4th axis, or auto squaring, or Wireless MPG, you will need a pro license to support those features.
chrisnet

Post by chrisnet »

I do plan on purchasing a pro version in the future, but I don't want to waste time learning both, therefore I need to understand the difference between the Mill and the Router versions.

You say that "the router version is configured more for a CNC setup" but you also say both will work, can you give some examples to the differences?
Thanks
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Mill version has a Mill specific VCP, Router Version has Router specific VCP and related macros. Both versions have all the same cnc features, its just a matter of if you wish to have Router specific controls automatically loaded and configured for you. you can actually make the mill version look exactly like the router version if you want to do all the hand work yourself. in general if you have a Router use the Router version , if you have a Knee Mill, Bed Mill or Machining center use the Mill version. easy peasy.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
chrisnet

Post by chrisnet »

Thanks, that helps a lot.
DaHealey

Post by DaHealey »

Is there going to be a process to change a MillPro license to a RouterPro? I’m running CNC12 on an Avid machine and it was built a few months ago, before RouterPro was an option. I’m currently on version 4.5 and eventually I’d like to update to 4.62+, but if I’m going through that I’d like to change to router pro (as my machine is no doubt a router). Converting the license, even as a 1 time deal, would be needed then.
GBCues
CNC Control System Serial Number: noneC120192

Post by GBCues »

Router Pro Upgrade..png
Yes, you can upgrade now (offer will expire some day)
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

As Keith stated the mill and router software is exactly the same, only the VCP looks different. You can make the mill version look just like the router version. If you are going to customize your VCP it really doesn't make any sense to "upgrade" to a router version when it's the same software and you can change the look yourself. Am I missing something here?
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

previously discussed

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=5094

"you get a preconfigured VCP and the corresponding router specific macros for common router operator functionality.

We created the router version of CNC12 due to overwhelming demand for a "canned" plug and play software solution for a typical CNC router. Designed for the users that just want to install the CNC software for a Router and be up and running with minimal fuss.

yes if you like, you can take the CNC12 mill software and configure it yourself without paying for the upgrade to Router Pro license. Thats the great thing about how we have designed our software and publish how-to documentation, if you want to do it yourself you can!
How to write Macros
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... amming.pdf

How to customize the VCP
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... manual.pdf

There are two camps, 1.) Users that are happy to go full-on DIY and write or copy macros and VCP buttons and customize CNC12 to their liking. 2.) Users that just want a plug and play solution and are more interested in making parts than customizing the CNC control. (You don't know how many times that i have told users "well just edit your VCP and write your own router specific or copy router specific macros from the forum" only to be told "i don't have time or interest in doing that why can't you guys do that?" ) So i am trying to satisfy both camps with the introduction of CNC12 Router!

If you previously purchased Mill Pro you can for a limited time upgrade to Router Pro (#15077) for $79

If you previously purchased Mill Digitizing Bundle you can for a limited time upgrade to Router Digitizing Bundle (#15078) for $79"
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

For sure Keith, I'm sure there are those who want nothing to do with customizing anything and just want to make parts. I get it and those people will be happy with the VCP as it comes. Then there are those who want to make their time on the machine even more efficient by customizing their VCP to their specific work flow, features and options. You can't make everyone happy but you guys come very close at doing that so thank you for all the hard work you all put in on your products.

I have a mill pro license and will continue to use it on my router as I upgrade my software because I have a full custom VCP and it changes on a monthly basis (or so it seems) as I find even more ways to be more efficient. Buying a router pro license for me doesn't make sense but it will to others. I'm adding two new features right now to my router and editing macros for both options. Gotta love this Acorn. :mrgreen: