Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 3403DE6BF1CC-0071612279
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

AASD Drive for Spindle

Post by Eddie »

Acorn spindle control is 10v but my aasd drive requires -10v to +10v for analog speed control. Spindle only turns in one direction because of +10v but if i reverse polarity it will spin the other way. Can i use the relays to swap polarity without doing any damage to the acorn board or do i need another circuit. I am trying to avoid using step/dir because i want my last outputs for a 4th axis. Or is there somthing im missing in the aasd drive that will switch the direction?
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: AASD Drive for Spindle

Post by martyscncgarage »

Eddie wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:09 am Acorn spindle control is 10v but my aasd drive requires -10v to +10v for analog speed control. Spindle only turns in one direction because of +10v but if i reverse polarity it will spin the other way. Can i use the relays to swap polarity without doing any damage to the acorn board or do i need another circuit. I am trying to avoid using step/dir because i want my last outputs for a 4th axis. Or is there somthing im missing in the aasd drive that will switch the direction?
Contact CNC4PC.COM
They have a relatively new board that will take the 0-10V analog input along with another input (SpinRev) to INVERT the output.
I have not tested it thoroughly yet. Might be worth a look. (I DO think they overcomplicated it) Ask for a schematic and jumper setting for your specific setup.

I have not had success with inverting it like you suggest. but might be worth a try. Its just a signal to the drive.

Let us know how you make out.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
mrp192
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 3699, 3788

Post by mrp192 »

Eddie wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:09 am Acorn spindle control is 10v but my aasd drive requires -10v to +10v for analog speed control. Spindle only turns in one direction because of +10v but if i reverse polarity it will spin the other way. Can i use the relays to swap polarity without doing any damage to the acorn board or do i need another circuit. I am trying to avoid using step/dir because i want my last outputs for a 4th axis. Or is there somthing im missing in the aasd drive that will switch the direction?
I THINK havent tried yet. But I think you can change the mode by input. I have a few other things to finish on my mill before I can try this but I would also look into what Marty said. If cnc4pc does have that board then I will get it in a heart beat.
Navanod

Post by Navanod »

And how was your setup in the end?
thomsl@mac.com

Post by thomsl@mac.com »

Eddie,

I am wondering if you ever had any success using your AASD servo for your spindle. I am trying to do the same thing. I am not sure how to wire it into the ACORN. I think the only choice is to use the analog output on the ACORN board. I am not sure which wires I should use from the AASD driver and I am not sure what the Pn settings should be set on the driver. If you could share any of this information I will be quite appreciative.

Thanks,
rk9268vc

Post by rk9268vc »

simple. just use 2 relays

all negative voltage means is connecting the 0-10V to the spindle driver com, and the acorn 0v to spindle

both relays off = no 0-10v wire connected

one relay for 0-10v from acorn
one relay for 0v

relay one on, relay 2 off = 0-10v to spin, 0v to com = pos rotation
relay one off, relay 2 on = 0-10v to com, 0v to sin = neg rotation

simple simple
thats how i wired mine

you dont need any fancy board or anything, just use acorn SpinFWD and SpinREV outputs for the two relays
rk9268vc

Post by rk9268vc »

spin ctrl.PNG