Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Z axis return to machine coordinate 0 problem <resolved, noise from solenoid>>

Post by Greg »

My Z axis will not return to machine 0 Its consistently offset at the finish of every run. Everything tests fine as far as turns ratio I have thoroughly tested and adjusted the commanded distance of all axis to under .001 and have even cut a few parts and they hold tight tolerances but between jobs and sometimes tool changes the machine fails to return to 0 causing the next tool to dive too deep into the material as it has offset its coordinates. I tried testing multiple random gcode files with all tool offsets set to zero. I did find one that works perfectly every time but I'm still learning to decipher gcode. Could this be a simple newbie programming issue?

I have put a couple marks on the column and it always returns to the same exact offsets. Any help?
Last edited by Greg on Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
cncsnw

Re: Z axis return to machine coordinate 0 problem

Post by cncsnw »

Your steppers are losing steps.

If you don't want to believe that -- and most people who post here with essentially the same problem don't -- then you could post a report plus a copy of your CNC program, and maybe someone with lots of time on their hands can scour through it for inappropriate M26 codes.

If you are lucky, though, someone who knows and loves stepper motors will post with useful advice on how to diagnose and resolve lost-steps problems.
tblough
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

My guess is that it's the added load of the head weight coupled with the rapid retract to home at the end of the program that's overpowering your steppers.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
Greg
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by Greg »

OK I have figured it out.

After messing with it all day. Its the mist solenoid! When its programed to turn on/off automatically in fusion this happens. Running it off the same 24v power supply was a easily avoided mistake. Every time it kicked on and off it was causing the missed steps. It took more time than I would like to admit to figure this out...but I am glad its resolved and everything is working perfectly now.