CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Dual Bridgeport BOSS Build

Post by Mikey »

Hello,

I have two 1980's Bridgeport BOSS CNC knee mills. I've been running one daily with linux cnc but recently have been having major issues on the computer side. I just purchased a Centroid Acorn and 3 G203V drivers for my second machine. I am a little intimidated by reducing the voltage of the stock power supply so I am probably going to buy an AnTek but haven't narrowed down the voltage just yet. I plan on using the stock steppers as I haven't had any issues with them yet. I am open to suggestions on what power supply and VFD to purchase for my second machine. My first machine has the generic Chinese VFD. If there is a USA made option I would prefer that. Once I have the second machine up and running I plan on making my other machine match it. If you have a similar build I would love to see it!

Mikey
Chaz
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Re: Dual Bridgeport BOSS Build

Post by Chaz »

Ive retrofitted a Bridgeport Interact Series 1 which I think is similar to the Boss version (from a few quick pics). Pretty straightforward.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I installed Panasonic servos. If I was doing another, Id go servo again (lots of options). I dont think Ill ever do another stepper conversion again, the price point for cheap servos make them far better an option.

I run a basic HY VFD for the spindle but about to try a proper spindle servo setup and see if I can get that to run properly. More torque, higher RPM and just overall better.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

- shows the motors installed.

- first cut.