Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: E8EB112A1F04-0206180612
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Trouble with the update 4.6 < router version requires a router license>

Post by lvanduyn »

I finally got the update installed as the mill version. Tried initially to install as the router version which resulted in a failure
to communicate with acorn. Tried again as mill and this time it loaded and ran. I then tried to restore the current report. The
correct file came up and the the program read it and said OK and a power off was needed. Did that and restarted but none of the
settings in the report file are loaded in CNC12. Also after the restart, a Windows command window popped up for a second and
was pinging an ip address. Where do I go from here ?
Attachments
report_E8EB112A1F04-0206180612_2021-02-01_10-41-56.zip
(594.93 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
swissi
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716

Re: Trouble with the update 4.6

Post by swissi »

lvanduyn wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:13 pm I finally got the update installed as the mill version. Tried initially to install as the router version which resulted in a failure
to communicate with acorn. Tried again as mill and this time it loaded and ran. I then tried to restore the current report. The
correct file came up and the the program read it and said OK and a power off was needed. Did that and restarted but none of the
settings in the report file are loaded in CNC12. Also after the restart, a Windows command window popped up for a second and
was pinging an ip address. Where do I go from here ?
If you want to switch from a mill version of CNC12 to the router version you need a new router license. The mill license does not work with the router version.

The reason why the router version could not communicate is most likely your firewall settings as the mill version uses the executable cncm.exe while the router version is using cncr.exe. You need to give cncr.exe permissions in the firewall to communicate with the Acorn board.

Regarding your report restore issue, when you say the correct file came up, you definitely did not restore the correct report file. You restored the report file from your fresh install again. You have to point the restore process to the correct folder where you actually saved the report file of your old configuration.

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
lvanduyn

Post by lvanduyn »

Hi Swissi
Thanks for the reply. As to the report, my bad. I just looked at the date and assumed it was the correct file. I went back into the saved cncm
folder and found the correct file which worked to upgrade to 4.6. I do have the router license and getting that in is the next project.
Larry
lvanduyn

Post by lvanduyn »

Hi All
More notes. I did another install selecting the router version this time. I was able to install the router pro license.
I then tried to restore the report and the system said that it did so but then it said
" This update requires the control to be powered off for changes to take effect."
Doing so has no effect. The report is not restored. Am I doing something wrong or out of order here ??
Larry
swissi
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716

Post by swissi »

lvanduyn wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:00 pm Hi All
More notes. I did another install selecting the router version this time. I was able to install the router pro license.
I then tried to restore the report and the system said that it did so but then it said
" This update requires the control to be powered off for changes to take effect."
Doing so has no effect. The report is not restored. Am I doing something wrong or out of order here ??
Larry
I haven't looked into it in detail but I'd assume there's a reason why the Router version is a separate version from the Mill with different parameter settings.

From your posts I take it that you are trying to restore the report file from the Mill version to your Router version. I don't know what Centroid's official stand is on this but I personally would not even try this. I would make screen shots from the Mill Wizard settings and enter the settings manually into the Router Wizard of a fresh install.

-swissi

UPDATE:
Please post the report that you were trying to restore and didn't work.
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
lvanduyn

Post by lvanduyn »

Hi Swissi
You are correct in that I was trying to make a router version using a mill report. Previous to that I was able to make a 4.6 mill version which took the report as it should have with no problem. After that, I tried to make a fresh router system and had the aforementioned results.
I do have all the screen shots so I can use those. I will go out and enter some data manually to see if that takes.
Attached is the report which I was trying to use.
Larry
Attachments
report_E8EB112A1F04-0206180612_2021-02-01_09-55-27.zip
(676.2 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Trouble with the update 4.6 < router version requires a router license>

Post by cnckeith »

v4.6 Router can not be updated with a Mill report

install fresh v4.6 Router and setup using the Router Wizard, it takes 10 minutes tops:-)) and you are good to go.

use windows to copy over any custom macros or tool lib etc from old directory into the new CNCM directory if you like
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

install instructions have been updated to be clear that you can not use a Mill report to update Router.

https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... ctions.pdf
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
lvanduyn

Post by lvanduyn »

Hi Keith
It make sense that the mill settings won't update the router settings. However, there is something strange.
As I went into the wizard to set up the first page, the normal list of drive types was not there and in its place
highlighted in yellow was "Previous version". From there on almost all the settings were back on each page.
There were only a couple that needed to be set or changed.
martyscncgarage
CNC12: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Start from scratch. Use your screen shots from MILL
Delete the CNCM directory.
Do a fresh install of 4.6 Router.
Start CNC12 Router, let the firmware update if needed.
Load your ROUTER License.
Hand key in all your machine settings in the Wizard.

You can not use a report from MILL, you will copy files from mill into your ROUTER installation. Really buggering things up.
Sorry, if you want to run router, this is the method you must take. It took me about 30 minutes to get my Router install up and running.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ