Acorn CNC12 Mill, Router, and Lathe v4.64 has been released! < v4.80 has superseded v4.64>

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

hivoltage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Acorn CNC12 Mill, Router, and Lathe v4.64 has been released!

Post by hivoltage »

Thanks for the update and explanation.
I have purchased a license as I will be doing a lot of cutting after my move.
I am moving to a place where I will have a larger shop etc...
:)
pstenabaugh
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1119

Post by pstenabaugh »

I installed the router version for Acorn. I have been having all sorts of issues setting up my machine due to the variance in information in the documentation, different wiring schematics for the same sort of thing, plus some items have different names due to updated software, which makes it really tough to figure out which input to select etc. I have spend over 30 hours just getting to the point of being able to move the motors. I've spent many years working with Mach 3 with little to no problems......this has been a total nightmare.

My license file is not valid with 4.64, so my MPG wont work, in fact, the Wizard wont even let me set it in setup, telling me I need the Pro license which I already have. I fixed that, see at the bottom.......

I finally had things running reasonably well yesterday, homes were working - sort of- extremely slow to home (1"/min), tool touch works, e-stop works. I have my motor tuning basically set but it needs fine tuning yet.

Today I turned Acorn on, booted up CNC12 4.64, then when I selected the cycle start to set the home positions I got a drive fault message and nothing would work. It all worked yesterday and all I've done is to turn it off and restart today. Now it wont work at all.

After some troubleshooting I discovered that as soon as I power up Acorn, the drives all lock up as they should. All the drives have green lights (hybrid closed loop steppers). However the instant that cnc12 boots, the software knocks ALL the drives off line, although all the drive lights are still green, but I still get the drive fault message when I select cycle start.

So what is going on with this system..... :x I am at the point now that I'm really thinking that I should have stayed with Mach 3.

Ok - update - I realized that the license issue was that I hadn't purchased the router package. So that's not happening until perhaps I can get this beast to run properly. I reinstalled CNC12 - Mill Pro and then my license would install, plus it seems as though the MPG is recognized but I didn't get into that yet. After going through and re-configuring the Wizard, I tried to get the motors to home, but as soon as I select the cycle start to send the motors to home I still get the Drive Fault error and the whole system locks up and nothing will move. I created a report file - attached - for the current mill pro install. Hopefully Keith can find something wrong with this.
Attachments
report_C8DF84C4FFB0-0809181119_2022-06-12_14-08-33.zip
Mill Pro install Jun 12 2022
(604.21 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Last edited by pstenabaugh on Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

follow this manual step by step and the system will work:

https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... manual.pdf

Pro licence is bond to the board, if you have got an other board it will not work. Contact Centroid support.

Uwe
Gary Campbell
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Post by Gary Campbell »

You may have the input configured wrong, or a loose wire. Set the input back to "naught" and get the machine working, calibrated,tuned, etc., Then get the drive alarm set properly.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
pstenabaugh
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1119

Post by pstenabaugh »

Well, I did as suggested by Gary and sort of started over with the setups. I removed the Homeall and reset the Wizard all back to manual etc. That allowed me to get the machine to move, no fault errors etc. I gradually reset stuff, reset the Homeall, reset the softlimits etc. And amazingly the damn thing worked. There is virtually no reason this should have happened since it all went sideways overnight all by itself, but at least it's back online. I can do the home at startup, then when I shut down I use the Park button before I shut it all off. So far that works. I'll do a few more tests for shut down but at least I have a workable option now, so thanks for all the help.

Next up - postprocessor, but I'll do that on another post.
Crosshatch
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269931CF1-0307180710
CNC11: Yes

Post by Crosshatch »

I'm very nervous about performing this upgrade. I'm still on the original version from when I purchased this in 2018!

The ONLY reason I want to perform this update is because my Spindle only shows 3000k Rpm but everything is set for 6000k. I believe there is a setting in the wizard that apparently allows you to toggle a "0-5VDC" input.

I always understood that the output for Spindle Control was 0 - 10 VDC, so perhaps this why I have always been 3k off?? My RPM does reach max RPM (6k) when onscreen it goes to 3k.

I'm a little nervous because the controller has worked just fine!
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Crosshatch wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:00 am I'm very nervous about performing this upgrade. I'm still on the original version from when I purchased this in 2018!

The ONLY reason I want to perform this update is because my Spindle only shows 3000k Rpm but everything is set for 6000k. I believe there is a setting in the wizard that apparently allows you to toggle a "0-5VDC" input.

I always understood that the output for Spindle Control was 0 - 10 VDC, so perhaps this why I have always been 3k off?? My RPM does reach max RPM (6k) when onscreen it goes to 3k.

I'm a little nervous because the controller has worked just fine!
no fear, it is super easy to "backdate" by simply renaming the cncm directory. only takes seconds to switch between new and old. fyi.. i'm about to release v4.80 so wait for that.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Crosshatch

Post by Crosshatch »

Oh that is great news! I renamed and made copies this morning to thumb and PC drives. Have screenshots from 2018 wizard settings. Downloaded the latest version...but now I will wait! Was literally about to this, been planning all morning lol.

Okay, well I'm ready less the latest release, thanks for letting me know!
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

you can try v4.80 right now.. here is the link and info
https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=7354
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Crosshatch

Post by Crosshatch »

Is 4.6+ version more stable? I wanted to restore from report if possible.