Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

No Hearbeat; not BBG

Post by PLEKK0 »

Hello! This is my first time posting and I apologize for any lack of knowledge that I have as well as lack of information that I post to help solve my following problem: my BBG has no heartbeat when attached to the Acorn board.

I modified a Shapeoko setup with my Acorn board about 6 months ago. The CNC has been running without issue as recently as four days ago. Yesterday I tried booting everything up but was met with a looping "MPU reboot" message. Eventually the message changed to "Unable to establish communication with Acorn." I went through the process of checking ethernet cables, ensuring my firewall was off, restarting my computer, and power cycling my Acorn. At one point CNC12 successfully booted however all my limits and my probe registered as triggered. I modified things in Wizard because I thought they might have reset. After closing and restarting CNC12, it was once again unable to communicate with Acorn. At this point I still had a somewhat normal heartbeat: there would be 10 regular beats followed by a pause. Sometime throughout this there was also an update message telling me not to cut power to Acorn. I have not been able to re-establish communication with Acorn and at this point I have no heartbeat at all when my BBG is attached to Acorn. I did remove the BBG and test it with power and have a normal heartbeat. I did follow the instructions to debrick despite this (because I was at a loss of what else to do) and still have a heartbeat but only when the BBG is off the Acorn board. I have removed all leads except power from my Acorn and the problem persists.

TLDR:
- my Acorn/CNC12 functioned normally
- without notable change, my Acorn and computer could not establish communication
- after troubleshooting and debricking, my BBG has a heartbeat but only when off the Acorn board

For what its worth, I assume that I corrupted the software on my Acorn board by cutting power at an incorrect time.

I am unable to access CNC12 to create a REPORT.ZIP because my computer will not communicate with Acorn. (if I can somehow access this I am happy to post it)

I thank everyone in advance for their advice and help!!
Attachments
PXL_20210124_165741699.jpg
PXL_20210124_165720374.jpg
PXL_20210124_165826391.jpg
PXL_20210124_165800322.jpg
PXL_20210124_165732776.jpg
PXL_20210124_165753381.jpg
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: No Hearbeat; not BBG

Post by cnckeith »

i'd try a different BBG
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

Try and unplug everything except power to Acorn. Power up the power supply only and see if you get the power LED and the heartbeat. If you do, then power down, plug in the ethernet cable,power up Acorn and then power up the PC to see if you can establish communication with Acorn.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
PLEKK0
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by PLEKK0 »

Everything except power is unplugged from Acorn. When given power, I get the power LED but no heartbeat. I removed the BBG again for certainty and connected powering using my computer's USB port. It shows both power LED and a heartbeat. I reattached the BBG but after doing so only get the blue power LED, no heartbeat.
Attachments
PXL_20210125_040115616.jpg
martyscncgarage

PLEKK0 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:12 am Everything except power is unplugged from Acorn. When given power, I get the power LED but no heartbeat. I removed the BBG again for certainty and connected powering using my computer's USB port. It shows both power LED and a heartbeat. I reattached the BBG but after doing so only get the blue power LED, no heartbeat.
Not sure what to tell you.
Here is the warranty information on Acorn:
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... ranty.html

If the Beagle Bone Green has a heart beat off of Acorn then something on Acorn is preventing it from booting up.
Marty
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

By the way, you do not have to disconnect your wires from the plugs. Those plugs UNPLUG from Acorn...
Mesa, AZ
PLEKK0

Post by PLEKK0 »

martyscncgarage wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:28 pm By the way, you do not have to disconnect your wires from the plugs. Those plugs UNPLUG from Acorn...
Wow, I feel stupid but its all part of the learning process I guess. Your videos have really been the only thing leading me through all of this. I want to be sure I understand you: since my BBG has a heartbeat when off of Acorn, it means the problem is with Acorn. There is nothing left that I can do to diagnose or fix this problem and I should proceed with the warranty/return information you linked.

I appreciate the responses as well as your instructional videos.
martyscncgarage

PLEKK0 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:32 pm
martyscncgarage wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:28 pm By the way, you do not have to disconnect your wires from the plugs. Those plugs UNPLUG from Acorn...
Wow, I feel stupid but its all part of the learning process I guess. Your videos have really been the only thing leading me through all of this. I want to be sure I understand you: since my BBG has a heartbeat when off of Acorn, it means the problem is with Acorn. There is nothing left that I can do to diagnose or fix this problem and I should proceed with the warranty/return information you linked.

If BBG is working when powered from its USB port and there is a heartbeat, then BBG when plugged into Acorn is protecting itself from a voltage that shouldn't be there. Check your Acorn for any whisps of wire, or any chance a pin on the underside might be touching metal or shorting.

You can take your Acorn completely out of the machine and onto the bench for a final bench test with ONLY the Acorn power supply.
Take a voltmeter and make sure you have 24VDC across the yellow and black wires at Acorn.
Mesa, AZ
PLEKK0

Post by PLEKK0 »

martyscncgarage wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:39 pm
PLEKK0 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:32 pm

If BBG is working when powered from its USB port and there is a heartbeat, then BBG when plugged into Acorn is protecting itself from a voltage that shouldn't be there. Check your Acorn for any whisps of wire, or any chance a pin on the underside might be touching metal or shorting.

You can take your Acorn completely out of the machine and onto the bench for a final bench test with ONLY the Acorn power supply.
Take a voltmeter and make sure you have 24VDC across the yellow and black wires at Acorn.
I took Acorn out of my machine and its on a wood bench top with only the positive, negative, and ground attached. My voltmeter reads 24.2 VDC across the yellow and black wires. There is no heartbeat. I took BBG off again and tested using USB power. It shows a heartbeat. Once back together, there is no heartbeat. I see no stray wires or points that could be causing a short. The machine was also running fine a few days ago and I have not changed anything in the wiring previous to the problem. Do you have any final suggestion before I begin a warranty process? I'm attaching pictures that look very normal to me but I didn't take any when I first received Acorn and have nothing to compare to.
Attachments
PXL_20210125_193323445.jpg
PXL_20210125_193428371.jpg
PXL_20210125_193519282.jpg
PXL_20210125_193501134.jpg
PXL_20210125_190311872.jpg
PXL_20210125_190329305.jpg
martyscncgarage

Can you take a video of the BBG heartbeat and power LEDs off and on the Acorn board?
Mesa, AZ