CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF8A1900-10082038
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Travel Limits spontaneously changed "0" & other issues

Post by carboncymbal »

martyscncgarage wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:25 pm

Get an Intel NUC or another computer with an ethernet port and test.
I am wondering if it is an updated driver issue.....
Might be time to move on to NUC's as they are newer.

But the point is, don't discount the computer as the source of the errors. I am told the BBG has the same fixed ethernet drivers. I don't know if this could be a timing issue or what....
Marty
I will indeed be checking another computer tonight. Have you had success with your M92? I'd be interested in sticking with the lenovo Tiny computers as we have the all-in-one monitor set up for them. I really love buying a few generations old lenovo hardware, but I might bite the bullet in this case and look at a new one.

-Clay
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

carboncymbal wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:37 pm
martyscncgarage wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:25 pm

Get an Intel NUC or another computer with an ethernet port and test.
I am wondering if it is an updated driver issue.....
Might be time to move on to NUC's as they are newer.

But the point is, don't discount the computer as the source of the errors. I am told the BBG has the same fixed ethernet drivers. I don't know if this could be a timing issue or what....
Marty
I will indeed be checking another computer tonight. Have you had success with your M92? I'd be interested in sticking with the lenovo Tiny computers as we have the all-in-one monitor set up for them. I really love buying a few generations old lenovo hardware, but I might bite the bullet in this case and look at a new one.

-Clay
I had a similar problem. Happened after the latest Ethernet driver was installed on a machine. Remember, there are hardware revisions of those models too. I wonder if you can try and roll back the Ethernet driver.
NUC meeting minimum specs have come down in price. I too have enjoyed the Lenovo Tiny series Pcs. Of course there are newer versions as well.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
carboncymbal
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by carboncymbal »

Possible fix found!

TL-SG105 switch between computer and controller seems to fix the issue. Have tested several times with the switch and no errors. I can recreate errors at will by removing the switch.

I have possibly found a fix for my ethernet communication errors. System is configured for bench test with only power and relay board plugged into acorn.

I have included a log showing the results annotated with my actions. The method used to create errors consistently for me is to remove power from acorn for 3 or more minutes, power on acorn, open cnc12, run pistolgrip2.cnc.

Does anyone have any idea why this may be helping? I planned on testing it after my last day of bench testing. I had the switch coming in as part of the ether1616 kit I ordered. My theory was that the switch may provide a level of isolation between the computer and the acorn. I'm not sure if that is helping here or not, but the switch seems to solve the issue 100%.

Thanks,
Clay
Attachments
Error log and switch testing.txt
(10.63 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
carboncymbal

Re: Communication Errors-Travel Limits spontaneously changed "0" & other issues

Post by carboncymbal »

Just an update. I confirmed that the same solution works on another identical set up (same conditions, same panel design, same computer model).
martyscncgarage

carboncymbal wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:57 am Just an update. I confirmed that the same solution works on another identical set up (same conditions, same panel design, same computer model).
I would imagine there is a slight timing issue that the switch doesn't have an issue with and then the switch transmits a better signal....just a guess.
Buy an Intel NUC or another PC meeting the system requirements and move on?
Mesa, AZ
carboncymbal

Post by carboncymbal »

OK. The panel design is coming along nicely and should be a bit improvement. I just placed an order for the majority of the components from Automation Direct. I do have a question about best practices of laying out the internal components.

I had planned on having power come in near the bottom of the panel, with volage essentially decreasing as you move up the panel. From the bottom moving up would be incoming 220v, VFD, 70V DC Servo power, 24V DC acorn/contactor coil power. A intake fan would be mounted on the lower left of the panel, and exhaust in the upper right. This would place the Acorn in the airstream after the VFD. I recently saw a suggestion to mount heat producing components higher in the panel to help keep motion control systems cooler. What would you suggest? My original plan would also have the braking resistor low in the panel.

In any case, I would prefer the power to come in via the lower right corner.
Thanks,
Clay
carboncymbal

Post by carboncymbal »

Actually, on second thought I think I'll leave it as described. If I have issues I'll add in some creative ducting solutions to the panel to keep Acorn cool. This is just the best set up for the position of the panel related to machine and where the E-Chain is located for the gantry. In my last 3hp router build several years ago I rarely got even a detectable temperature rise in the system with moderate fan cooling. Initially I had the cooling fan set at like 85 degrees, but it never turned on so I turned the thermostat down all the way to have the fan run all of the time. My main concern was localized heat buildup within the panel.
martyscncgarage

I put a force fan low in the cabinet blowing IN to the cabinet with a screened vent at the top of the cabinet. I put my VFD's at the top, usually left side but wherever will work. I have my VFD cable enter the cabinet where most convenient but keep it away from low voltage cables. I keep my motion control boards down low, usually right. My cables enter from the bottom.
Mesa, AZ
carboncymbal

Post by carboncymbal »

martyscncgarage wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:14 pm I put a force fan low in the cabinet blowing IN to the cabinet with a screened vent at the top of the cabinet. I put my VFD's at the top, usually left side but wherever will work. I have my VFD cable enter the cabinet where most convenient but keep it away from low voltage cables. I keep my motion control boards down low, usually right. My cables enter from the bottom.
Thanks for your advice. I did see that trend in your panels while watching your youtube channel. Right now I'm playing with a design that has the power enter from the top left corner, with the disconnect switch located there. The VFD would then be on the top right adjacent to the exhaust vent I would then basically work my way down with voltage decreasing as I move down in the panel. Finally ending with my controller in the bottom near the center of the panel. This layout puts the VFD nearest the exhaust vent, puts my controller low near cool incoming air, and also allows me to put my compressed air solenoids for the ATC low which I prefer since compressed air can contain water. (This system is hooked up to a very oversized desiccant air prep unit.) I'll also probably mount the braking resistor to the top enclosure wall which will keep its heat from readily spreading to the rest of the system.

Any other advice or thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Clay
Caleb
CNC Control System Serial Number: 780473A2EE6C-1022192587

Post by Caleb »

I've just started having 944 mpu request resend and
946 pc resending errors after doing a bit of "maintenance" and running updates on my all in one lenovo, doesn't happen with the same setup including ethernet cable using another PC so I'm going to have a play with drivers.
May have to try that switch as the all in one works well for the particular setup.