Gecko g540 and 4.2A steppers. Can I add a resistor?

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

terbospaghetti
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Gecko g540 and 4.2A steppers. Can I add a resistor?

Post by terbospaghetti »

I'm new, and I apologize if I missed another thread that answers this question, but I'd like to ask how important the "current standby mode" is for my use case.

I'm converting an 8x16 lathe and I have two 4.2A rated steppers for the two axes and a gecko g540. I don't plan to run the machine every day, but I would like it to last as long as possible.

Should I solder a resistor into my db9 connectors to enable the "current standby mode" mentioned in the g540 manual?

If I can/should do that, do I use the same math as I would for a stepper rated less than 3.5A to determine resistor value?

Thanks in advance! And happy new year! Good riddance, 2020
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Gecko g540 and 4.2A steppers. Can I add a resistor?

Post by martyscncgarage »

terbospaghetti wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:49 pm I'm new, and I apologize if I missed another thread that answers this question, but I'd like to ask how important the "current standby mode" is for my use case.

I'm converting an 8x16 lathe and I have two 4.2A rated steppers for the two axes and a gecko g540. I don't plan to run the machine every day, but I would like it to last as long as possible.

Should I solder a resistor into my db9 connectors to enable the "current standby mode" mentioned in the g540 manual?

If I can/should do that, do I use the same math as I would for a stepper rated less than 3.5A to determine resistor value?

Thanks in advance! And happy new year! Good riddance, 2020
Yes, put the resistor in for 3.5A, if you don't the drive will not go into stand by mode. This is explained in the manual:
https://www.geckodrive.com/amfile/file/ ... uct_id/14/
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ