Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 3830
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

First try machine won't run error codes

Post by billthefarmer »

I tried to run a metric wingspan which I made with fusion 360. I had to make this is because everything seems to be in Imperial and not metric. Marty in one of his emails mentioned that you can change the code by inserting G 21 into the code to replace G20 but I have no idea where to actually change this.My machine is now working perfectly homing is automatic, when I put a simple code in to check the actual distance travelled this works perfectly. But for the last three or four days I have been trying just to get the machine to go through its paces but cutting anything just moving in all the right directions easier said than done. When I enter the test program I get a message 549 line too long axis travel exceeded on line NNNNN. Action when I look up the manual … Check program, part zero or tool offset. Does this actually mean that on the Z axes I need to bring a tool down to a theoretical point and zero the tool. I have watched many demonstration videos but when I'm in that screen there is no button that will zero the screen F4 does not work.
I tried moving everything away from the home positions and then I got a code 549 line in G/M code program is too long more than 1023 characters shorten line. Sorry but I don't know where to cut it. See I still have some humor I was Gray before I started this now I'm losing Hair fast.
I've spent more time in the last couple of months watching tutorials and thought they were easy to follow until you try doing it and some very relevant items seem to be missing. I hope you can be of some assistance even if you can give me a link to one tutorial that actually shows entering the part setting it up star machining the job.
by the way the wingspan shows on the screen when I load the job. I'm sure this is a tiny problem but sometimes these are the hardest to solve. I tried again today moved the XY axis to the middle of workplace brought to the z-axis down to 50 mm off the bed. This is where I cannot zero the work offsets. I watched a full start to finish video using Mach3 and all he does there is push the XYZ and indicators which in turn zero offsets. I will attach for screenshots showing that all axis are exceeded which is ridiculous because the work bed is 2 m x 2 m and the item I am cutting is about 300 mm long.
Also attached are 2 reports.
Anyone that can be of any assistance would be very appreciated.Regards Bill
Attachments
DSC03459.jpg
DSC03458.jpg
DSC03456.jpg
report_0035FF8E3E4A-1014203830_2020-12-30_11-15-48.zip
(611.75 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
report_0035FF8E3E4A-1014203830_2020-12-30_10-54-04.zip
(620.43 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: First try machine won't run error codes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Bill,
Are you more comfortable running in Metric mode or Imperial?
You might crack open the Mill Operator's Manual and give it a study.
Search the manual for G21 and G20
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... -v4.14.pdf
You put the G20 (when normally running in Metric) in what I call your Preparatory Line at the very beginning.

I am metrically challenged, perhaps someone else will chime in. I would load the program and then set my part zero....
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
billthefarmer
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by billthefarmer »

Thanks for the reply Marty, that's not the main problem at the moment the wingspan code I entered is in metric but nothing happens the machine will not run and gives all of those error codes running on a metric code. I will try again today but it will not run from the home position, if I jog to the the machine to the middle of work area. And try to start the program I think I have to zero the DRO XYZ axis two O but I'm having trouble doing that. In one of Keith's videos he mentions to push the F7 that does nothing to the axis settings.
Thanks Bill have a happy new year.
tblough
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Bill,

You really need to spend some time reading the manual: https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... -v4.14.pdf

You can change the machine units to Imperial by going to F1 Setup/F3 Config/F1 Contrl and switching both the DRO Display Units and Machine Units to Inches. You also need to do some reading on work coordinate systems. Once you position the machine to where you want the part origin to be, you can go into F1 Setup/ F1 Part and using the F1 Next Axis Button and the F10 Set Button you can set your WCS (what you see on your DRO) to zero, or what ever is appropriate for the part.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
martyscncgarage

Bill, are you setting your part zero? (G54 Work Coordinates)
The Manual is a wealth of information.

If you are familiar with Imperial, then you should set the control to Imperial and put G21 in the preparatory line in the G code file. The control will then run the metric file.

After you load the program, set your part Zero, press F8 Graph, and see if the control returns an error.
ALWAYS good practice to hit F8 Graph before running the program.

Can you please upload the G code you are trying to work with?

Marty
Mesa, AZ
billthefarmer

Post by billthefarmer »

Hi again Marty before I start thanks again for all your help. I thought the problem may have something to do with zeroing the coordinates but I could not zero them. I have looked at manual several times but very hard to find the specific answer to the question I will try your suggestions first thing tomorrow and let you know what happens. I meant to include the file I was trying to run but forgot to do so. It is in metric which believe it or not is simpler to use than Imperial, my brain still thinks in Imperial because in Australia we grew up with that but slowly I have converted. Please find attached the file, when I look at the graph on the screen it shows the shape with the tool part but because the coordinates are not zero it makes sense that the machine does not know where to go. I think I have watched every YouTube clip but have seen absolutely nothing relative to what you are suggesting on the actual starting up of the job. If I am wrong and you know of one I would be very happy to watch it. Thanks again regards Bill
Attachments
Profile WING SPAN TEST .cnc
(14.27 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
martyscncgarage

Bill, your program is already in Metric.
You have the control setup for Metric.

Do you understand how to setup your G54 Part Zero?
If not, watch this video. (would apply to a router and I am assuming you have a router)

OVERVIEW:
1: You need to setup the tool library. If it is only a one tool job you don't HAVE to setup a tool library. Just use Tool 0 when setting up the part
2: You need to know where the ORIGIN was set on the part when it was programmed. It appears to me that roughly it was set on the LOWER LEFT corner of the stock
3: You need to setup your G54 Work Coordinate System or your Part Zero. Jog the tool to the lower left corner of the part.
4: Bring the tool down to the top of the part. Use a piece of paper, a 1-2-3 block, feeler gauge between the tool and the part. Incrementally jog the Z axis down until the gauge just slips between the tool and the part.
5: Press F1 Setup, F1 Part. You will be setting up X first. The screen graphic also offers prompts and help. Since you have already found X, press F10 SET. Then press F1 to go to the next Axis which is Y, follow the graphic prompts again IF necessary. Press F10 Set. Then press F1 to go to Z. If you are using ONE tool Leave the tool number set to 0. If you setup a tool library, you MUST tell the control WHICH tool number is in the spindle and enter it in the tool number box. Then in the PART POSITION BOX, enter the thickness of the gauge you used between the tool tip and the part. Say it was the 2" side of a 1-2-3 block, then enter 2.0 press F10

You have now set your part Zero.

Load your G code file. Once loaded, its good practice to press F8 GRAPH. The control will run through the program and if there are any errors, it will tell you. If it shows your part and no errors, you should be good to go. As Keith shows in the video, start with slow feed rate. Know that hitting the space bar on the keyboard will do a feed hold. To continue, press cycle start.

Keep in mind this is an OVERVIEW. Between it, the video AND the Mill Operator's Manual, it should help point you in the right direction
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... -v4.14.pdf

I am making an assumption you are having problems setting your part zero.

I hope this helps somewhat....
Marty
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

I noted in your screen shots, you never loaded the part. It says NO PART LOADED.
To load your part, from the MAIN SCREEN Press F2 Load, point to your cnc program and load it.
Its name will then show up next to the Job Name about the top middle of the screen
Mesa, AZ
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

In his last pic the correct file is loaded and it appears after he loaded the file he pressed cycle start. The message window is waiting for a tool change and for him to press cycle start again. Why there is a tool change command in a single tool job? I know it's a test file but the tool change is not needed, is it?

As for setting the part zero, it's a whole lot easier to simply press the buttons on the VCP, that's why it's there, no? :mrgreen:

Assuming the origin for the part is in the lower left, move the cutter to the lower left corner of the material to be cut and press "set WCS XY0" then move the cutter down to the top of the material and press "set WCS Z0". Why go through all the F keys and menus when the buttons are on the VCP?

Then press F8 to graph the part and check for errors.
martyscncgarage

ShawnM wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:52 am In his last pic the correct file is loaded and it appears after he loaded the file he pressed cycle start. The message window is waiting for a tool change and for him to press cycle start again. Why there is a tool change command in a single tool job? I know it's a test file but the tool change is not needed, is it?

As for setting the part zero, it's a whole lot easier to simply press the buttons on the VCP, that's why it's there, no? :mrgreen:

Assuming the origin for the part is in the lower left, move the cutter to the lower left corner of the material to be cut and press "set WCS XY0" then move the cutter down to the top of the material and press "set WCS Z0". Why go through all the F keys and menus when the buttons are on the VCP?

Then press F8 to graph the part and check for errors.
You router guys are all about the short cuts....😉
Mesa, AZ