CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: little machine shop 7 x 16 lathe conversion

Post by LMSCNC »

Hi Marty,

I am just getting back at this as this project has been on hold due to my dad passing away.

I have followed your video (SYIL X4 CNC Mill Teknic Clearpath SDSK Centroid Acorn Project: Bench Testing) step by step.

The problem I am having is the X axis is not working. Z axis is only working. I know both motors work because I have swapped cables. I have the jumpers enabled for both Z and X. I hope that I somehow didn't ruin the C86ACCP card. Is there something else that I need to configure before the X axis will work?

Thanks in advance.
~Dave
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

I'm sorry to hear of your dad's passing...
Axis 1 is Z axis on lathe
Axis 2 is X axis on lathe
I assume you loaded the Clearpath Drive Profile in the Wizard?
You have SOFT ENABLE Jumpered for Axis 1 and 2 (Z and X)?

Can you take pictures of your setup, both sides of your C86ACCP with your cables connected?
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
LMSCNC
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by LMSCNC »

Hi Marty,

"I'm sorry to hear of your dad's passing" Thank you! we have built a lot of memories together.

here is a picture of him in the golf cart we built together last year.

"I assume you loaded the Clearpath Drive Profile in the Wizard" Are you talking about picking the correct motors? If yes then yeah I did that and loaded.

"You have SOFT ENABLE Jumpered for Axis 1 and 2 (Z and X)"

1 and 2? on the back of the C86ACCP board from right to left is X..slave..Z..A so 1 and 2 would be X and slave correct? looking at it from left to right would be A and Z correct? Anyway they are labeled and I have them plugged into X and Z according to the white print on the circuit board.

In your video you left all the jumpers to hard .. so I did the same. I did move them to soft and the motors now didn't turn green until after I started cnc12. Before I moved the jumpers from hard to soft the motors would turn green as soon as I powered up the acorn board. Also no change at this point .. X is still not working.

I Also have a question about the X and Z DRO on the cnc12 display.. just wondering why the X has a circle with a line through it and what it means. I guess I need to go through the manual anyway please see pictures attached.

Thanks
Dave
martyscncgarage

You have CNC12 setup wrong.
Axis 1 is Z
Axis 2 is X
You have axis 1 set to X and axis 2 set to Z in CNC12, Swap them in the Wizard Axis Configuration

Looking at the Clearpath connector side of C86ACCP, far right connector is Axis 1(Z), second connector not used (Slave) third connector is Axis 2(X)

Fix those and give it a go.

P.S. I hope you kept the Golf Cart!
Marty
Mesa, AZ
LMSCNC

Post by LMSCNC »

Hi Marty,

Thank you I will try this tonight when I get home from work.

Is this where I need to make the changes in the wizard?

P.S. I did keep the Golf Cart!

~Dave
martyscncgarage

Are you on at least CNC12 4.62 if not 4.64?
When you installed the software, did you not choose lathe? If you did, it would have configured Axis 1 as Z and Axis 2 as X
These are NON negotiable and must stay that way. Its hard coded in the software.

Please ensure you are on the latest version of software. Screen shot your current Wizard screens, print them out and do a fresh install of CNC12 4.64
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=5313

Then LOAD the Clearpath Drive and save it.

Next time you post, please post a FRESH report (F7 Utilities, F7 Create Report)
And as you go along and make changes and need more suggestions, post another fresh report. It lets us see your system configuration.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
LMSCNC

Post by LMSCNC »

Hi Marty,

I took that picture from one of your videos on YouTube yesterday while I was at work.

So the first thing I did when I got home last night was move some jumpers around and then move the one cable to the third connector that is for Axis 2(X). After I made these changes it worked! :D

I then seen that I had software version CNC12 4.18 I guess I figured it came with the latest version.

Updated to software version CNC12 4.64

Only problem now is I now have Acorn Free instead of the Pro license that I purchased with the board. Any Idea's how to get it back to the Pro version?

The next thing I need to do is make another purchase for the limit/home switches, Estop button, Encoder for the spindle and the control box. Please let me know if I am missing anything... I know you mentioned a fuse for the control box. Would there be any drawings on this site for a setup like mine that I could follow to wire up my control box?

Thanks again for all your help Marty! much appreciated.

~Dave
martyscncgarage

Simply reload your license file you originally received with your board. You do it under the F8 Utilities and the Options. Point to the file and that should do it
Mesa, AZ
LMSCNC

Post by LMSCNC »

Hello All,

Can anyone recommend good home/limit switches for a lathe?

I would like to finish this project but I am stuck on everything that i will need to build the control box. Is there any wire diagrams for the control box on Centroids site or this site?

As far a I know these are the items i still need to get.

home/limit switches .. are home and limit switches separate devises or can a limit switch be used as a home switch
Estop button
encoder for the spindle
control box .. not sure what size to buy as i don't know what else needs to go in it. Marty talked about getting a fuse for the box. I've also seen people us TB strips and breakers and such but not sure if i will need that or not.

Thanks
Dave
martyscncgarage

LMSCNC wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:01 am Hello All,

Can anyone recommend good home/limit switches for a lathe?

I would like to finish this project but I am stuck on everything that i will need to build the control box. Is there any wire diagrams for the control box on Centroids site or this site?

As far a I know these are the items i still need to get.

home/limit switches .. are home and limit switches separate devises or can a limit switch be used as a home switch
Estop button
encoder for the spindle
control box .. not sure what size to buy as i don't know what else needs to go in it. Marty talked about getting a fuse for the box. I've also seen people us TB strips and breakers and such but not sure if i will need that or not.

Thanks
Dave
There is an Acorn System Schematic in the schematic set that can be used as an example
For a lathe its beneficial to find the most accurate method of homing it. If you go back to my PC5 thread, I used hall effect sensors. I bored a shallow hole in the ballscrew pulley and embedded a small magnet in it. You could use a mechanical switch to get coarsely home the machine and then have the cnct.hom file hunt for the magnet. Much depends on how and where you can fit switches sensors.

Automationdirect.com has good encoders. If you plan on hanging a timing pulley on the encoder shaft you can't use the light duty encoder. If you want to use the lesser expensive light duty encoder, then the timing pulley will have to be held by a jackshaft and bearings and then the encoder coupled to the jackshaft. 1000 line, 5vdc, line driver/differential encoder is what you are looking for.

Don't buy a box until you have all your components so you can arrange them on the bench and then get a feel for the size you need. There are lots of builds to look at for ideas.

Estop buttons with metal frames using contact blocks are the way to go.
You can find these on ebay as well. Look for the ones with TWO NC Contact blocks
mxuteuk 1 NC 22mm Red Mushroom Emergency Stop Push Button Switch AC 660V 10A HB2-BS542
by mxuteuk
Learn more:

Take your time, test things along the way. Try and do it right. You will enjoy the machine more in the end.
Marty
Mesa, AZ