Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: C8FD19F23AFF-0213180659
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

DMM/Acorn/Taig Build Thread

Post by Threedj16 »

Ok, figured I'd go ahead and start a build thread. Probably going to be a good while before much progress is shown on this as I'm very slow due to back issues. The mill is an existing very modified Taig mill with a heavy duty frame and R8/TTS spindle with power draw bar. It's currently running with a UCCNC/Gecko setup, but I'm tired of having to constantly modify their software to work like I want. Plus I have an Acorn on my Emco lathe already and just want one software/hardware package as it's too damn hard for me to remember stuff these days. Also upgrading both to DMM axis servos and spindle servos (already have the 1KW 86mm servo on the mill spindle). Pretty much everything has been sitting here in boxes for close to a year, but just recently got the second Acorn board.

Couple of notes on the setup. I have a standard DYN4 currently running on the mill, but an opportunity came up to get a backup DYN4 for the mill and when I purchased one for the lathe spindle. Decided to go with their custom firmware that allows changing over from position to analog via an input pin on the DYN4 (FYI is also uses custom setup software that isn't on their website). So it's a bit different than the standard software in that is uses the DIN4 input for reversing in analog mode (the standard firmware uses the DIR+/- for reverse with analog 0-10v or position) and the SHOLD to change modes. Why would I want it on a mill. No idea really but thought it would be interesting and who knows, broaching would be possible and maybe a need for spindle orient? But really wanted it on the lathe for a C-axis for some experimenting. So it gets interesting as I want a 4th axis on the mill. I'm going to post up a couple of PDF files in case anyone is interest and/or check over my work (lot of head scratching). Still deciding on a few different things, mainly depends on how some of the canned PLC functions work. But decided to hard wire most of the safety features I wanted so less macros to deal with on upgrades. Don't typically care for all the items some folks put on their safety circuit, as there are no kids in the house and I don't hang out inside my mill cabinet. So tool changes are the only time the spindle is disabled and the PDB is disabled when the spindle is running. The other safety feature is releasing the brake on a fault or loss of control power. While my mill in it's current state will not drop, some planned mods will most likely allow it to and I've already got the servo with a brake for that axis.

I'll post up some pics of my current setups later. Anyone who's been around this group for quite a while has probably already ran across my EMCO PC Turn 55 lathe. But I was never happy with the wiring job (in a hurry) and upgrading all the motors now, so good time to redo. Here is a link to a few videos of the mill. https://rumble.com/c/c-335545

Ok, here are the pdf's of my current ladder diagrams, please do error check me if you're bored. To me they're easier to follow circuit flow, plus allows to setup a numbering scheme to I can label every wire and quickly find it on the diagram. May not be for everyone, but they remind me of how we used to program PLC's back in the 80s/90s...LOL. Probably will draw out a more standard schematic at some point, which I've got several already I made for other people with a similar setup. Drawn using SkyCad free version, which is nice software. The cabinet layout, multi-conductor cable, multi-level and several other advanced features are locked unless you buy the pro version, but free will do...LOL.

Updated these schematics a few times. Just going to update this main post. Decided to dump the C-Axis (DYN4 Special Firmware Mode Swap) for the mill. Was too much headache to do with only 4 axis control. But left it on the Lathe.

ACORN_DMM_Mill_Ladder_Power.Control_Diagram.pdf
(198.09 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
ACORN_DMM_Mill_Ladder_I.O_Diagram.pdf
(347.16 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
ACORN_DMM_Lathe_Ladder_Power.Control_Diagram.pdf
(175.5 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
ACORN_DMM_Lathe_Ladder_I.O_Diagram.pdf
(303.58 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
Last edited by Threedj16 on Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Threedj16
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes

Re: DMM/Acorn/Taig Build Thread

Post by Threedj16 »

One question that might be a Keith question. I've searched, but found nobody with quite the same question. My Acorn on the lathe is the older style board and the one for the mill is the newest version with the relay board. Well, my mill circuit would play much better with the older board, at least for a few items that just need a COM from the ACORN to work. Would save some space (and expense as to save room I'm having to use slim DIN mount relays). The lathe setup wouldn't really matter one way or the other. The old board is tied to my lathe software and the new board is tied to my mill software.

The question is: Are the serials actually tied to the beaglebone boards? If I swapped the beaglebones on the two different rev boards, would that also swap the serial and hence the software? Not a huge deal if not, just trying to save a little space.

Guess since I'm already having to makeup a new relay cable, could just run the couple of output wires that only need to give a COM to the DYN4 straight to it instead of running it to the slim DIN relay. LOL..always a work around if you think about it long enough.
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

Marty, that PCB solution you posted the other night on the Acorn FB group actually might come in handy now that I've drawn everything out. Allowing the option to use terminals on the outputs for the new board is pretty good. Let me know if you come up with something. Long as it doesn't take up extra space, I'm game to try it out. Maybe a better option.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Threedj16 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:24 pm Marty, that PCB solution you posted the other night on the Acorn FB group actually might come in handy now that I've drawn everything out. Allowing the option to use terminals on the outputs for the new board is pretty good. Let me know if you come up with something. Long as it doesn't take up extra space, I'm game to try it out. Maybe a better option.
Pitched the idea to a vendor. Said he liked it so he's working on it. Basically a small PCB with JST male connector on the bottom and a small terminal block on top. Some cut the connector off one end of the ribbon cable and land it on small terminal blocks to gain access to the outputs. Though you are limited to the length of the cable. A user could get two of the devices and easily make an extension cable so as to be able to locate the relay board where they like OR use the relay board for outputs suitable to the specs of the relays and use others for say Solid State Relays...without having to loop through one of the relays on the relay board.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

Threedj16 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:21 pm One question that might be a Keith question. I've searched, but found nobody with quite the same question. My Acorn on the lathe is the older style board and the one for the mill is the newest version with the relay board. Well, my mill circuit would play much better with the older board, at least for a few items that just need a COM from the ACORN to work. Would save some space (and expense as to save room I'm having to use slim DIN mount relays). The lathe setup wouldn't really matter one way or the other. The old board is tied to my lathe software and the new board is tied to my mill software.

The question is: Are the serials actually tied to the beaglebone boards? If I swapped the beaglebones on the two different rev boards, would that also swap the serial and hence the software? Not a huge deal if not, just trying to save a little space.

Guess since I'm already having to makeup a new relay cable, could just run the couple of output wires that only need to give a COM to the DYN4 straight to it instead of running it to the slim DIN relay. LOL..always a work around if you think about it long enough.
Serial numbers are tied to the BBG
Mesa, AZ
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

martyscncgarage wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:31 am
Threedj16 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:24 pm Marty, that PCB solution you posted the other night on the Acorn FB group actually might come in handy now that I've drawn everything out. Allowing the option to use terminals on the outputs for the new board is pretty good. Let me know if you come up with something. Long as it doesn't take up extra space, I'm game to try it out. Maybe a better option.
Pitched the idea to a vendor. Said he liked it so he's working on it. Basically a small PCB with JST male connector on the bottom and a small terminal block on top. Some cut the connector off one end of the ribbon cable and land it on small terminal blocks to gain access to the outputs. Though you are limited to the length of the cable. A user could get two of the devices and easily make an extension cable so as to be able to locate the relay board where they like OR use the relay board for outputs suitable to the specs of the relays and use others for say Solid State Relays...without having to loop through one of the relays on the relay board.

Marty
Well, thankfully I found the pins and the JST XH connectors at Digikey. So probably the easiest solution will be just build my own custom cable. That way I can just run the two or three outputs that pass a common over to the DYN4 straight to it (which I'm running a db25 cable from the DYN4 to a breakout that I'm mounting beside the acorn so won't be too long) and the other output wires can then go to the slimline DIN mount relays.
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

martyscncgarage wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:03 pm
Threedj16 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:21 pm One question that might be a Keith question. I've searched, but found nobody with quite the same question. My Acorn on the lathe is the older style board and the one for the mill is the newest version with the relay board. Well, my mill circuit would play much better with the older board, at least for a few items that just need a COM from the ACORN to work. Would save some space (and expense as to save room I'm having to use slim DIN mount relays). The lathe setup wouldn't really matter one way or the other. The old board is tied to my lathe software and the new board is tied to my mill software.

Serial numbers are tied to the BBG
Hopefully I won't need to do this now with building the custom cable, but it is good to know that the beaglebone swap would change around my serial numbers.
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

Updated my ladder diagrams with a few items I'd forgotten about and also went ahead and drew out my diagrams for the EMCO PC Turn 55 since it's controls will be very close to the mills, minus the obvious differences and a few oddball things I'm experimenting on.

Mentioned this before, if anyone does have interest in these diagrams, my DMM DYN4 drives are the special firmware version. This version uses a completely different program for setting up parameters (as there are two sets of gear numbers). This firmware also uses different pins for direction on the analog side (because the position mode can be switch on via Gcode). That is the biggest differences in firmware, as the standard firmware uses the Dir+/Dir- to change direction in position or 0-10v analog mode. I'll add the release notes on the special firmware in case anyone is interested since it allows the unit to basically function as a speed spindle or C-axis spindle. One of my facebook friends has been using this feature already and loves it. So I'm mainly interested in it for the lathe, he uses it for spindle orient to do probing on a mill. The servo motor we are using is the 1KW 86mm frame special order motor. I'm still rebuilding my electrical, but my buddy already has his rigid tapping (not that I really care about rigid tapping so much). Anyway, it is interesting to have that ability, but obviously it is size limited, even more using roll form (which is all I use in alum). I'd post a link, but the video is inside a private FB group, so unfortunately only people who are members can view it.

Anyway, if anyone is bored, I'd appreciate anyone pointing out mistakes in the drawings. I prefer this type of drawing as it's easier to follow the logic and allow for wire numbers to correlate. Unless there are some major issues, hopefully this is will be the version I use to wire up the new electrical cabinet for the mill and re-wire my lathe. Pretty interesting trying to come up with wiring solutions to cut down on Acorn I/O. I left just enough I/O on the mill to allow for a simple ATC very similar to how my lathe turret works. One thing I have no idea if it will work is the use of the 4th drive output which I'd need to use the terminals and DB25 (but not at the same time). I know they are physically the same position, just don't know if it can drive both (I'd only have 1 drive active at the same time). Eh, either way, it's just an experiment. If not, wouldn't be that big of a deal to drive it from an external source if needed.

Ok, special firmware release notes:
CFPA4212 Custom Firmware Release Notes2[37383].pdf
(296.48 KiB) Downloaded 184 times

Just going to update the main post with any schematic changes I do.
Last edited by Threedj16 on Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
martyscncgarage

I'd like to see a video of your buddy's DYN4/Servo system rigid tapping and single point threading.
Would like a screen shot of his DMMDRV settings and a fresh CNC12 Report. Send him here.

A final wiring diagram would be welcomed too.
Mesa, AZ
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

martyscncgarage wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:11 am I'd like to see a video of your buddy's DYN4/Servo system rigid tapping and single point threading.
Would like a screen shot of his DMMDRV settings and a fresh CNC12 Report. Send him here.

A final wiring diagram would be welcomed too.
He isn't using Acorn/CNC12, but LinuxCNC/MESA board instead. I'll post a link below, but you have to join the group to see it.

One thing I forgot to mention that he is using that would be really nice with the acorn. He's using RS232 to do all of his communications with the DYN4 drive. That would be a really cool and useful option for the Acorn board. Being able to use two of the DB25 pins to communicate with a drive would be really nice. Of course then it would also need to be added into CNC12 and that might be a lot harder to implement.

Link to DMM rigid tapping video. Again, to view you have to join the group. Sorry, but he didn't upload to Youtube unfortunately.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Taig.La ... 321265732/