Acorn CNC12 v4.60 Public release candidate 4 is now available for testing!

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

RogDC
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
MPU11 & GPIO4D -w/ 3rd Party Drives: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Re: Acorn CNC12 v4.59 Public BETA rev12 is now available for testing!

Post by RogDC »

A couple of Nice to Have features on either the VCP or Graphing window for the Router Version would be:
  • Spindle RPM - presently you need to switch to the G-Code from Graphing to see the Spindle RPM, Graphing window has to recalculate when switching back to Graphing - takes some time to recalculate on larger GCode Files. Sometimes you need to adjust the RPM in wood, you can easily do it with the pendant, but no indication on the pendant or VCP, however there is a feed rate display on the VCP to see your changes above/below the G-Code feed rate speed.
  • Job Run Time Estimate/Job Time Remaining/Job Percentage Completed. In graphing prior to tool change, the run time estimate is very close to actual run time.
  • Skin/Macro for Job Complete to trigger relay for Arduino or Raspberry Pi to text job completion or trigger another indicator in the loud shop.
Maker1970

Post by Maker1970 »

Anyone experiencing 9031 drive fault errors? they are happening frequently now since 4.59 install. Not on the same drive either. Never happened before that wasn't human error or mechanical. I have closed loop steppers, so they run pretty smooth. Wondering if I need to go through windows and see if that is trying to reinsert itself. Any thoughts? Also I was looking at the cncm file and did not see the licence folder in the main file. Thought that was kind of weird. I may have to try a full reinstall.

Maker1970

"You lie to your friends, and I'll lie to mine. Let's not lie to each other"
swissi
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716

Post by swissi »

Maker1970 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:00 pm Anyone experiencing 9031 drive fault errors? they are happening frequently now since 4.59 install. Not on the same drive either. Never happened before that wasn't human error or mechanical. I have closed loop steppers, so they run pretty smooth. Wondering if I need to go through windows and see if that is trying to reinsert itself. Any thoughts? Also I was looking at the cncm file and did not see the licence folder in the main file. Thought that was kind of weird. I may have to try a full reinstall.
Your Report File does show Router Pro license but the license file license.dat is indeed missing in the C:\cncm folder which indicates that something is fishy with this install and a fresh install might not be a bad idea.

I noticed from your report file that your version of Windows is very outdated and the laptop you are using is far far below the minimum CPU single thread performance requirements of 1'500 with a rating of a lowly 640. I don't think this is causing the drive fault errors but could create problems with more complex parts with smoothing enabled.

You could go back to the 4.50 version and check if the drive faults occur there too to rule out it's not a machine problem that just came up and 4.59 is just a coincidence. You can easily switch between 4.50 and 4.59 by just renaming the folders.

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
Maker1970

Post by Maker1970 »

Yeah, you are not wrong about the laptop. It takes a while to load long files, but has been working very well otherwise. I will try switching back tomorrow morning. I think that is a great place to start. I was getting pretty frustrated earlier trying to get through making 4 mdf doors with vcarve pro.
Maker1970

Maker1970

Post by Maker1970 »

Did a fresh install on a slightly upgraded pc I had lying around. Only scores 1135 for the processor though. Seems to work fine now. I may have to shop around for something a fair but newer. I use my only ssd computers for software type stuff. Maybe I will have to build one. Haven't done that for a while.

Maker1970

ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Please shop your local craigslist for used computer resellers. You can buy Centroid CNC capable PC's all day long for around $100 to $150 with a fresh install of Win10 and a SSD. They are out there for the taking. :mrgreen:
Sword

Post by Sword »

Try running a V-carve and/or a 3D toolpath. I've found that is when a low scoring PC will fail and the machine will start to stutter, as the PC can't keep up with the data needs of the controller. I had a nice little Lenovo Yoga that I really wanted to use on a benchtop unit. I worked great going straight down the road, but as soon as I gave it a v-carve toolpath, it choked. :(
Maker1970

Post by Maker1970 »

Sword wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:07 pm Try running a V-carve and/or a 3D toolpath. I've found that is when a low scoring PC will fail and the machine will start to stutter, as the PC can't keep up with the data needs of the controller. I had a nice little Lenovo Yoga that I really wanted to use on a benchtop unit. I worked great going straight down the road, but as soon as I gave it a v-carve toolpath, it choked. :(
I did get some shuddering with the old laptop I had on there doing 3d work. I see quite a bit of difference. I will do sme cutting in a bit with smoothing on and see how it does. If a pc means the difference between smooth and not, it will get beefed up quick like.
Maker1970

Maker1970

Post by Maker1970 »

Sword wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:07 pm Try running a V-carve and/or a 3D toolpath. I've found that is when a low scoring PC will fail and the machine will start to stutter, as the PC can't keep up with the data needs of the controller. I had a nice little Lenovo Yoga that I really wanted to use on a benchtop unit. I worked great going straight down the road, but as soon as I gave it a v-carve toolpath, it choked. :(

Was just sizing up the laptop that I bought earlier in the year. The cpu benchmarks 7332

Amd Ryzen 7 3700U dual-core processor (Up to 4.0 GHz) | 8GB DDR4 Memory | 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD

Now the PCie SSD is stupid fast and I bumped it up to 32 gigs of ram and added a 1T samsung ssd.

Problem is I have about $800 into that one. LOL may be a bit overkill.
Maker1970

ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Maker1970 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:09 pm Was just sizing up the laptop that I bought earlier in the year. The cpu benchmarks 7332

Amd Ryzen 7 3700U dual-core processor (Up to 4.0 GHz) | 8GB DDR4 Memory | 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD

Now the PCie SSD is stupid fast and I bumped it up to 32 gigs of ram and added a 1T samsung ssd.

Problem is I have about $800 into that one. LOL may be a bit overkill.
You need to be looking at the "single thread rating" which is 2021. The 7332 number is the average CPU rating. 2021 is very good. My Craigslist, used Dell Optiplex 9020 with a 120GB SSD and 8GB of ram has an i5-4570 CPU is has a single thread rating of 2020 and has never had any issues and will vcarve at 150 ipm with my custom smoothing setup all day long. Cost me $125 if I remember correctly.