Tool offsets change after restart (Resolved)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

nicolasjolliet
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0113202827
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Tool offsets change after restart

Post by nicolasjolliet »

Did you solve your problem? I have the same problem. I have reliable home switches.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

nicolasjolliet wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:08 pm Did you solve your problem? I have the same problem. I have reliable home switches.
post a fresh report.zip and information about your machine and setup etc.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
nicolasjolliet
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0113202827

Post by nicolasjolliet »

Well, no need for a report, huham. I did solve my problem.
Above someone says "you wouldn't embarrass yourself, report it so others can learn"
I said my home switches are reliable, and true they are. But if a screw came loose and the witch got moved by a Gremlin, a reliable switch becomes reliable with an added offset :).
Onward.
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

nicolasjolliet wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:33 am Well, no need for a report, huham. I did solve my problem.
Above someone says "you wouldn't embarrass yourself, report it so others can learn"
I said my home switches are reliable, and true they are. But if a screw came loose and the witch got moved by a Gremlin, a reliable switch becomes reliable with an added offset :).
Onward.
:lol:

We all get bit by the :twisted: gremlins. This is why its good to back track. I even try and go so far as to check all screws once a control is done.
We hate it when we are wrong, but keeping an open mind gets us through it.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Dbean

Post by Dbean »

Ok, I'm attaching 2 images. One is the X axis and is the Z axis limit switch. they are 4mm Inductive Proximity Sensor Switch. They are NO (I know the NC are better but it's what I could get within a week). Z is mounted to the cast base and looks for the side of the table. The Z is mounted to the Cross slide table and looks for the cast base as well.
The Machine:
It's a ShopMaster "Turnado". I think they are labeled as Chicago Lathe now.
I've replaced a lot of hardware so it's not so original anymore. I upgraded the motors, ball screws, Spindle and added the pneumatic called closer.
I can very effectively hold less than a .0005" tolerance, This is great for my needs.

Again I've set the T0101 and measured all the tools. After I shut it down and reboot everything I Re-home the machine, cut and measure T0101 X and Z. Set it in the F1 menu. I've been under the impression that all my other tools on the Gang table should now be set. This is where it goes wrong. I have to re measure all the tools on the Gang table. So this happens every day or anytime it crashes. I have another bug that shows up randomly and it loses ethernet connection, save that for another day.
After a restart I've tracked it's measurements to see if it's off in a specific direction or it's the same each time. I am getting very random #s. sometimes it's .005" off and others it's .025" off. and it can happen in either direction. It does seem to favor one direction but it's not consistent.
The machine is pretty tight as it only has about .001" X and .0013" Z backlash which IS programed in the lash table.

Could it be that I'm Homing the machine too fast? I haven't changed any of these parameters from how it came. Not sure if I can change that.
Hope this helps
Attachments
IMG_2511.JPG
IMG_2510.JPG
Dbean

Post by Dbean »

nicolasjolliet wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:08 pm Did you solve your problem? I have the same problem. I have reliable home switches.
If I figure it out I will let you know! I have tested and double checked everything I can think of.
martyscncgarage

Is the target coming ACROSS the face of the proximity switch (as it should) or APPROACHING the face of the proximity switch?
Mesa, AZ
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

It appears from his pics that he is driving the sensor into the surface of the machine rather than using a flag. I only see one screw in one of the sensors and the other appears to be driven partially into a slot on the table. Asking for precise repeatability from a $5 sensor is well....... :shock:

For the record, those same NC closed prox sensors can be bought on Amazon and delivered in a day or two. Sometimes same day if you dont live in the woods off the grid. :mrgreen:

Are you using the stock homing script? How fast is it moving during homing?
Dbean

Post by Dbean »

The sensors are approaching the face. This was what the manufacturer rec. Please point me to the other method if that's what I need to be doing.
As explained above the NC sensors were unavailable when I upgraded them. Again, if you have a link for a better switch, Please send. There are 2 screws, one is counter sunk to clear another part of the machine.
If all I need to do is turn them 90 degrees that would be awesome.
The sensors I bought state a .00001" accurate. I'm getting ~.01" accuracy.

YES I do live in the woods nearly off grid. There is NO internet here(I use the cell tower), it's a gravel road that requires 4x4 to get out when it rains, Amazon does NOT deliver directly, but I'm a walking distance from the most beautiful lake in Oklahoma.
I am building a new shop and will probably have a little trouble getting the 10k lb Mazak machine here but that's another day.
martyscncgarage

Dbean wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:50 am The sensors are approaching the face. This was what the manufacturer rec. Please point me to the other method if that's what I need to be doing.
As explained above the NC sensors were unavailable when I upgraded them. Again, if you have a link for a better switch, Please send. There are 2 screws, one is counter sunk to clear another part of the machine.
If all I need to do is turn them 90 degrees that would be awesome.
The sensors I bought state a .00001" accurate. I'm getting ~.01" accuracy.

YES I do live in the woods nearly off grid. There is NO internet here(I use the cell tower), it's a gravel road that requires 4x4 to get out when it rains, Amazon does NOT deliver directly, but I'm a walking distance from the most beautiful lake in Oklahoma.
I am building a new shop and will probably have a little trouble getting the 10k lb Mazak machine here but that's another day.
Turn them 90 degrees and test for repeatability.
Make sure they are SECURELY attached with 2 screws.
Mesa, AZ