Software options for signs

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

Artwood
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 78047384BB1C-0130191582 (Digitizing Bundle 2B991 Mill 4.12
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Software options for signs

Post by Artwood »

I have a Centroid cnc router for woodwork. I’m evaluating the best and easiest way to make large and small signs- up to 8 feet long by 3 feet wide. I also would like to make some 2.5 or 3D carvings. What files transfer into cnc12 or what have others experienced?
Learning curve seemS long for some software.
Thanks!
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Re: Software options for signs

Post by ShawnM »

I'd recommend you have a look at Vcarve Pro, it has a rather simple learning curve and will do everything you need. As far as "what files transfer into cnc12"? None will until you run your drawing through the proper Centroid post processor in whatever software you choose. All the Vectric software programs offer a Centroid PP so you can run it on your Acorn powered router right out of the gate. Just be sure whatever software you do decide to use does have a centroid PP because you don't want to have to write you own.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

ShawnM wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:57 pm I'd recommend you have a look at Vcarve Pro, it has a rather simple learning curve and will do everything you need. As far as "what files transfer into cnc12"? None will until you run your drawing through the proper Centroid post processor in whatever software you choose. All the Vectric software programs offer a Centroid PP so you can run it on your Acorn powered router right out of the gate. Just be sure whatever software you do decide to use does have a centroid PP because you don't want to have to write you own.
I'll echo what Shawn suggests. The software from Vectric is what most of the router guys are using.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
tuffduck

Post by tuffduck »

I agree that VCarve is a great piece of software. I use Aspire and have always been amazed at what you can do with it. Aspire and Vcarve are built on the same framework. Here is a Christmas gift I made with my daughter. Sorry the photography is not the best.
Attachments
IMG_20201204_020243.jpg
IMG_20201204_020229.jpg
IMG_20201204_020132.jpg
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

We forgot to mention the best opart, you can download and try any of Vectric's software for free. They are fully functioning versions of their software except you can't generate the g code for cutting. You can import dwg and dxf files, draw within the program (I find this cumbersome and still draw in AutoCAD and import my drawings to Vcarve Pro), create tool paths and everything else to see if you like it. You just can't create g code with the demo versions. Give it a try and see if you like it.
slodat

Post by slodat »

Unless you are certain you need the additional features Aspire offers, I recommend not buying Aspire and opting for V Carve Pro. When it’s time to pay for an upgrade the Aspire major version update cost me $400 last year. V Carve Pro version updates are half that or so.

With that noted, I use Vectric for all of my 2D drawing for my router, laser, plasma, etc. Great software for 2D work.
tuffduck

Post by tuffduck »

Hello,
A little more about Vectric products:
https://www.vectric.com/upgrade
https://www.vectric.com/free-trial
There are also many great videos online.

If you haven't yet, I recommend you get a copy of ProbeApp from Swissi. A great feature add-on.
Nigelo
CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA80C8B8-0905181172
E415F6F70BC3-0318203049
98F07B91FC6B-0123236802

Post by Nigelo »

Another feature of Vectric's current pricing model is that you only pay the difference between their different products if you subsequently decide you need the more expensive one. I've recently done exactly that upgrading Vcarve Pro to Aspire for just the cost difference. The best feature, unlike many alternatives is that you are buying a perpetual license

Our very own Gary Campbell (aka Mr Gecko :mrgreen: ) is mentioned in Vectric's credits so it can't be that bad can it!!
"You can lead a horse to water but you cannot force it to drink"
Hope this helps
Nigel