Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Not getting max travel

Post by occustoms »

Hi i have another that is stumping me today. On my router this time. I have limit switches setup and working with homing. Softlimits setup. So problem is i can jogg my max travel. But when i try and face my spoilboard. I get travel exceeded error. when im not exceeding max travel.

Added up both posi and neg direction to chk programed travel and its at 22.9 my max travel is set to 23.5 also not using cutter comp. So any ideas what im missing? :?
Nigelo
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA80C8B8-0905181172
E415F6F70BC3-0318203049
98F07B91FC6B-0123236802
CNC11: No

Re: Not getting max travel

Post by Nigelo »

Try setting your WCS X and Y co-ords to the Home position (or +0.001" if you prefer) and recalculate the toolpath keeping within 22.9" (or 22.901"). I don't understand you have neg directions in there for facing but I can't see your machine.

This is way I surface my spoilboard but your mileage may vary
"You can lead a horse to water but you cannot force it to drink"
Hope this helps
Nigel
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

you need to post machine photos showing your home position and a report.zip to get a good answer.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
occustoms

Post by occustoms »

Nigelo wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:45 am Try setting your WCS X and Y co-ords to the Home position (or +0.001" if you prefer) and recalculate the toolpath keeping within 22.9" (or 22.901"). I don't understand you have neg directions in there for facing but I can't see your machine.

This is way I surface my spoilboard but your mileage may vary
This worked, i dont know why it did. because I was using a feature inside spoil board originally (bolt hole) But none the less it worked with using home and changing the cam to home.

Anyone know why?
Nigelo
CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA80C8B8-0905181172
E415F6F70BC3-0318203049
98F07B91FC6B-0123236802

Post by Nigelo »

Simple answer is your previous WCS and the CNC job using it were not set correctly. The error you received was due to the WCS / Job combo trying to move the spindle outside the Machine limit co-ords (MCS) at some point. Remember that the soft limits are always in MCS defined as distances from the MCS Home position for all axes.

If you press ALT-D at any position on the machine, you can toggle between WCS and MCS to see how they compare. You will therefore see that by setting the WCS to the MCS home, you are effectively mirroring the MCS - Simply put, the machine uses MCS at its core and the job uses WCS. This allows us to conviently use whatever WCS suits us best for any given job and place stock anywhere on the table without having to micro-manage the job in MCS units

Hope this helps
"You can lead a horse to water but you cannot force it to drink"
Hope this helps
Nigel
occustoms

Post by occustoms »

yes im aware of machine vs wcs. It still was within the machines travel.

Maybe if i get some time later ill post a video of it. (change it back to hole inside the board) . i didnt change programming only changed the origin location Using the wcs and that fixed it. used same program path on same part. so it moves the exact same travels in machine cords. only origin was changed.
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

occustoms wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:34 pm ...only changed the origin location Using the wcs and that fixed it...
And that was your problem. Take the machine coordinate of your X origin and add the largest X move in your program (observe signs). If that exceeds you X max travel then you'll get a message. Take the machine coordinate of your X origin and add the smallest X move in your program (observe signs). If that exceeds you X min travel then you'll get a message. Do the same for the Y and Z axis.

Imagine I have 10 inches of travel in X. My travel limits are X min = 0 and X max = 10. Now I set my WCS one inch to the left of my max travel. That is now X = 0. Now I can have a part program that machines a piece of material up to 10 inches wide, but the X coordinates in the G-code need to be between -9.0 and +1.0, or I'll get a X travel exceeded warning.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
occustoms

Post by occustoms »

tblough wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:54 pm
occustoms wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:34 pm ...only changed the origin location Using the wcs and that fixed it...
And that was your problem. Take the machine coordinate of your X origin and add the largest X move in your program (observe signs). If that exceeds you X max travel then you'll get a message. Take the machine coordinate of your X origin and add the smallest X move in your program (observe signs). If that exceeds you X min travel then you'll get a message. Do the same for the Y and Z axis.

Imagine I have 10 inches of travel in X. My travel limits are X min = 0 and X max = 10. Now I set my WCS one inch to the left of my max travel. That is now X = 0. Now I can have a part program that machines a piece of material up to 10 inches wide, but the X coordinates in the G-code need to be between -9.0 and +1.0, or I'll get a X travel exceeded warning.
correct. my max travel is 23.5 it was limiting out at 22.

i wasnt using max travel even when you added the negative and positive direction together. i was still shy by like .25 in or something from my full travel.

this weekend ill try and redo it with a video. only reason i will, is because it might be a bug or something.
occustoms

Post by occustoms »

here is the old code
Attachments
1001.nc
(4.38 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
CNCMaryland
CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA7CBF8b-103011290

Post by CNCMaryland »

occustoms wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:28 pm
tblough wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:54 pm

correct. my max travel is 23.5 it was limiting out at 22.

i wasnt using max travel even when you added the negative and positive direction together. i was still shy by like .25 in or something from my full travel.

this weekend ill try and redo it with a video. only reason i will, is because it might be a bug or something.
You're not understanding what he is saying. You're hitting a soft limit. If you max travel is 23.5 and lets say you make you origin 1.5 inches from the end of travel, you will only be able to go 22 in total.