How to connect Plasma torchhight controller?

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: How to connect Plasma torchhight controller?

Post by martyscncgarage »

Did you get the step and direction version of the THC?
WHICH wire from the THC are you referring to?
Which Centroid schematic did you use in your build?

Centroid is a DIY controller. Support is via this forum. If you call, you will pay their support fees.
We need a clear understanding of your system, drives, and please clarify if you are using the Step and Direction version of their THC or not.

When I go to the link you provided: https://schematron.org/proma-150-wiring-diagram.html
There is a wiring diagram of a 1964 Ranchero a the top of the page.

I *think* this is the THC you should have: https://www.proma-elektronika.com/compa ... generator/
But I *think* this is the one you got: https://www.proma-elektronika.com/downl ... 150_en.pdf

With clear explanations/descriptions/pictures of what you have, maybe we can make some suggestions.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

I found this post from cnckeith:
"
cnckeith wrote: ↑Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:06 pm
looks like a great project.

fyi..

The first two plasma THC methods describe below work with Acorn and CNC12 right now as is...as these methods for THC are independent systems.
1.) THC that is Fully Independent of the CNC, uses its own additional Z axis and axis motor to move the torch head up and down. No special Acorn Plasma Plug in is needed for this type of THC.
2.) THC that is Integrated to the CNC style 1: The THC hijacks the step and direction signals from the Acorn to the axis motor driver and adds and subtracts pulses as necessary. No special Acorn Plasma Plug in is needed for this type of THC. https://www.proma-elektronika.com/compa ... generator/

this last method needs future CNC12 software support to work..
3.) THC that is Integrated to CNC style 2 : THC has three outputs UP, DOWN, and ARC OK. These Outputs are connected to the Acorn Inputs. Acorn Wizard as these selections in the input drop down list. ThcUp, ThcDown, ThsArcOk. The THC sends theser ‘commands’ to the Acorn by closing the input, when the UP input is closed CNC12 Adds steps to the Z axis position, when the ThcDown input is closed CNC12 Subtracts steps to the Z axis position. CNC12 waits for ThcArcOK before moving XY commands, when the ThcArcOK input is closed CNC12 knows that it is good to continue with XY movements. such as https://www.proma-elektronika.com/compact-thc-150/"

It seems if you got the THC-150 noted in #3, then it doesn't look like it will currently work.

See this recent post from cnckeith:
Re: Do you guys think there will ever be a plasma version of CNC 12?
Post by cnckeith » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:51 pm

we bailed on all third party THC's and are building our own they are all to slow (plc based) to run fast...ours is optically isolated and uses the Acorn Encoder port for feedback... 4000 times a second.... to be continued..
Mesa, AZ
Trialnterror
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Trialnterror »

billthefarmer wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:18 pm Hi Marty,

Yes that is correct it does take control of the z-axis I had no trouble connecting all of the other electronics related to it but I am still not sure where to connect that particular wire to which terminal on the ACORN.
Should I try asking Centroid directly . I tried asking their sales once before and they said put it on the forum. Seeing the now working on plasma software I would have thought that wouldn't be a problem for them to answer.
Regards Bill
Bill did you ever get this working? I’m thinking on buying a acorn for my mega v plasma from millright cnc.
martyscncgarage

Trialnterror wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:11 pm
billthefarmer wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:18 pm Hi Marty,

Yes that is correct it does take control of the z-axis I had no trouble connecting all of the other electronics related to it but I am still not sure where to connect that particular wire to which terminal on the ACORN.
Should I try asking Centroid directly . I tried asking their sales once before and they said put it on the forum. Seeing the now working on plasma software I would have thought that wouldn't be a problem for them to answer.
Regards Bill
Bill did you ever get this working? I’m thinking on buying a acorn for my mega v plasma from millright cnc.
Currently, you need to purchase a THC that takes the step and direction signals from the CNC controller.
Eventually, Centroid hopes to make their own nice THC. Its only in the planning stages currently. NO estimated time frame.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
Trialnterror
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Trialnterror »

I have a thc that millright sold me. I’ll prob end up trying the acorn on this plasma/router cnc. Is there any schematics that centroid offers on hooking these up?
martyscncgarage

Trialnterror wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:45 am I have a thc that millright sold me. I’ll prob end up trying the acorn on this plasma/router cnc. Is there any schematics that centroid offers on hooking these up?
Centroid has no schematics for any 3rd party plasma setup.
My suggestion is that you set the machine up XYZ using the Centroid schematics that match or closely match your drives. Then use the THC controller schematics (Step and Direction input).

If you share a link to the manual to the THC, maybe you will get suggestions.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html