DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

tool setter, tool library.

Post by RKM 3D Designs »

so i have the tt1 tool touch off.
and the kp3
these are before beginner questions, probably tip over to the dumb questions scale.
question:
so i have a part in fusion 360 programmed.
do i need the tools used in fusion 360 to match exactly what i have loaded in the library for cnc12?

how the heck do i get it so i can pause and do a manual tool change without just making separated programs and loading them after each program is done; IE load program to mill slot using 1/4" endmill, program done.
change tool
load program to mill different slot using 1/8th" end mill?.

ill post up with a report.zip when i get home in about 2-3 hrs, if i can remember how.
swissi
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716

Re: tool setter, tool library.

Post by swissi »

RKM 3D Designs wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:42 pm so i have the tt1 tool touch off.
and the kp3
these are before beginner questions, probably tip over to the dumb questions scale.
question:
so i have a part in fusion 360 programmed.
do i need the tools used in fusion 360 to match exactly what i have loaded in the library for cnc12?

how the heck do i get it so i can pause and do a manual tool change without just making separated programs and loading them after each program is done; IE load program to mill slot using 1/4" endmill, program done.
change tool
load program to mill different slot using 1/8th" end mill?.

ill post up with a report.zip when i get home in about 2-3 hrs, if i can remember how.
When you program your part in Fusion 360 you create a new Setup and then add all tool paths you can do in the same Setup. The Fusion 360 tool library must match the CNC12 tool library. If a tool path requires another tool, the Fusion 360 Post Processor will creat a M6 tool change command to request the new tool to be loaded.

If you want to make you life easier, I suggest you look at the links in my signature. One link is a CNC12 specific Fusion 360 Post Processor and the other link is the ProbeApp. When you use my Fusion 360 Post Processor, Fusion will add all the tools needed in a job as comments at the beginning of the job file. The ProbeApp will read the tool information from the job file and will present all tool info in the Tool Offset Manager.

Have a look and let me know if you have any questions.

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
Muzzer
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Post by Muzzer »

It's not as bad as you fear. CNC12 will pause and ask you to "change tool, then press start to continue".

And you don't NEED to have all the CNC12 tool library entries the same as Fusion but it's good practice. You must certainly ensure the tool length offsets themselves are correct but either way it will work fine and ignore the feeds, speeds and diameters in the CNC12 table, using the Fusion values in the g code instead. Obviously if you use the CNC12 conversational / canned cycles, you'd want to have the tool library info correct (diameter, feeds, speeds etc), as that's what they work from.

The CNC12 tool diameter is used in the CNC12 back plot display, so if it's much different to what you are actually using, the display can be messed up. For instance, the yellow trace of a 50mm face mill during a 3mm end mill operation may blot out almost everything on the screen.

Swissi's post processor gives you lots of useful options to configure how your machine operates and his probing app is very intuitive and well implemented.
RKM 3D Designs
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by RKM 3D Designs »

ok awesome. i will take some time and see what i can get going.
so another question since im here.
mycnc 12 doesnt have a selection option for the KP3 probe in the drop down. does this mean i need to update my cnc 12 software,( of course following cnckeith's video on how to do so.)
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

RKM 3D Designs wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:28 pm ok awesome. i will take some time and see what i can get going.
so another question since im here.
mycnc 12 doesnt have a selection option for the KP3 probe in the drop down. does this mean i need to update my cnc 12 software,( of course following cnckeith's video on how to do so.)
What version of CNC12 are you running? You should be up to 4.5
Posting a fresh report would give us the answer...
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
RKM 3D Designs