Do you guys think there will ever be a plasma version of CNC 12?

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

eswakon@eas-eng.com
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Do you guys think there will ever be a plasma version of CNC 12?

Post by eswakon@eas-eng.com »

Will the plasma version of CNC 12 support the Proma Myplasma Controller-THC Torch Height Control?
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

eswakon@eas-eng.com wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:29 pm Will the plasma version of CNC 12 support the Proma Myplasma Controller-THC Torch Height Control?
Centroid will have it's own THC

Post a manual to your THC
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
eswakon@eas-eng.com

Post by eswakon@eas-eng.com »

I don't have it yet. I didn't realize the Centroid would come with a THC. That's better from my perspective. any update on the release date?
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

eswakon@eas-eng.com wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:02 pm I don't have it yet. I didn't realize the Centroid would come with a THC. That's better from my perspective. any update on the release date?
In beta testing now. Hypertherm Powermax series proven out so far.

Centroid THC will be superior to most anything out there.

Stay tuned....
Marry
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

- Initial public release will officially support Hypertherm Plasma units other units will be added to supported list going forward.
- THC kit price $799
- CNC12 Plasma Pro software license $159

https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... erview.pdf
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Black Forest

Post by Black Forest »

What CAM programs are the beta testers using with the Plasma version? I am thinking that Intercon won't really work for Plasma. I would assume most are using Sheetcam but would like to know.
tblough
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Keith has previously posted that the plasma version will have a custom Intercon tailored to plasma parts.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Black Forest wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:13 am What CAM programs are the beta testers using with the Plasma version? I am thinking that Intercon won't really work for Plasma. I would assume most are using Sheetcam but would like to know.
I'm using Vectric Cut2D and/or Vcarve Pro. I draw in AutoCAD 2015 and just use Vectric for tool pathing and g code. I'm fairly new to plasma myself but I've been using Vectric software for years with a my routers.

For my mostly simple 2D parts the Vectric software has been working great. My ShopSabre plasma machine (bought it used) came with WinCNC software and it had a PP on the PC. Since the Centroid THC works very similar to the way the WinCNC worked (albeit much better :-)) I was able to take that PP, make a few changes, combine it with the new Centroid plasma commands and add in what I knew from the Vectric. Right now I have a simple yet working PP for plasma that works in both Cut2D and Vcarve Pro. I'm fine tuning it as I beta test and I'm trying a few variables for overrides but it's working right now.

To get the Vectric software to work correctly with the plasma PP I added a new "group" to the tool database called "Plasma Cutting". Under this group I added many new "tools". In the Hypertherm manual (my plasma cutter) there is a chart for "estimated kerf width compensation" for steel, stainless steel and aluminum for the various thicknesses. I created a "tool" under the "plasma cutting" group for each of those kerf width compensations in the manual. I have currently 39 "tools" in this group. The only setting you need to modify for each tool is the tool "diameter" which is equal to the plasma kerf from the Hypertherm chart. You set no feed rate for these tools as they are taken care of in the "Profile Manager" in the Acorn plasma software. I import my DWG or DXF file into Vectric and create profile tool paths. One for inside cuts and one for outside cuts. Cut depth is always .1" (so it cuts in a single pass). For the "tool" I simply select the kerf width for the material and amperage I'll be cutting at. I refer to the Hypertherm chart each time for this "tool" (kerf width). When tool pathing for plasma you always select "climb" machining (not conventional) and either "inside" or "outside" for each vector. You can then add lead ins and outs for each cut and be sure to tell Vectric to start at your current start points for each vector. Then simply calculate the toolpaths. After that I generate the g code using my "Centroid Plasma PP" from my drop down list.

I will share my tool database and PP with Keith once I have it commented so others can see what it's doing and can make changes if they like. Again my database is specific to Hypertherm using their numbers from their manual but can be modified to work with any plasma cutter. Centroid will have a page on their website for various PP for the plasma THC. I'm told that Centroid will only support the Hypertherm plasma cutter at first but is working on adding other plasma cutters to work with the Centroid THC and software. There are other beta testers using other brands of plasma cutters.

I know Sheetcam is plasma specific but I didn't feel like learning yet another software program. If, in the future, it becomes necessary then I'll look at Sheetcam. ShopSabre uses Enroute but it's a monthly or annual subscription which is expensive unless you are in a production shop.

For the record, I've never used the Intercon software for anything, router or plasma.

Hope this answers some questions.....
Black Forest

Post by Black Forest »

Thank you for the answers. It sounds like Centroid is doing a great job on getting the plasma version going. I am not surprised at all what with all the great support they are providing with all their products.
cnckeith
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

we started creating Plasma G code with SheetCam and have created a Centroid SheetCam post processor and are continuing to develop it with additional features as we go along. and yep we are working on a Plasma Version of Intercon as well, this conversational style part programming software is not meant to compete with a CAD/CAM system but instead give the operator a quick easy way to cut parts without a CAD drawing. For some it will be more than enough for others it will be a complement to another program such as SheetCam, Vectric, Fusion and others.

Centroid Plasma G code is very simple so that makes creating a post processor to output Centroid Plasma G code not a hard thing to do.
We look forward to power users like Shawn creating and posting post processors for the various CAD/CAM system out there.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html