CNC Control System Serial Number: ACCORN-3389 and 3646
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

ERROR CODE 9031 DRIVE FAULT

Post by DUP »

Good Evening chaps
I have picked up a problem all of a sudden. I cannot home or move any axis but for about 1 second before getting a DRIVE FAULT message-error code 9031.
The machine and the cnc system were working well for about two months and then all of a sudden this problem. also, if I try to go into MDI, I get an immediate drive fault error.
I was not sure if it was a problem on the mill itself or a control problem. As I have two Acorn systems, one for the mill and one for the lathe, I swapped out the two systems. ie the one on the mill which was giving the problem I hooked up to the lathe and the one on the lathe to the mill.
So with the acorn system from the lathe hooked up to the mill, everything runs fine.
But the problem is the same on the lathe now.
The reason I swapped them them out was that I was not sure if it was a machine problem or a cnc control system problem.
I have checked all wiring and all seems fine. I am running a NUC core 7 in both systems so I dont think the problem is there.
I have attached a report from the machine and perhaps you guys can throw some light on the problem once you have had a look at that
Thanks in advance
Regards
DUP
Attachments
cnc_backup_0035FF8A5498-0821203646_2020-11-13_20-59-41.zip
(60.42 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
report_0035FF8A5498-0821203646_2020-11-13_20-59-16.zip
(563.42 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes

Re: ERROR CODE 9031 DRIVE FAULT

Post by martyscncgarage »

IF you are getting a drive fault, that's because the control sees an alarm input from one of your axis drives.
I don't have any idea what you mean about swapping controls. I don't think I would have gone to that drastic a measure before checking here.

Can you press ALT i and take a look at the drive fault input? Post a screen shot here (Windows 10 snipping tool)
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
DUP
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: ACCORN-3389 and 3646

Post by DUP »

Lets not worry about swapping out the complete duplicate acorn control system in an effort to establish if this was a machine problem or a control problem. The problem is definitely in the cnc control system.
I pressed ALT I but I do not know where to look for a drive fault. Could you elaborate on what I should be looking for.
However, I would like to mention something else:
I changed the configuration by selecting "BENCH TEST DB 25" under Axis Drive Type. This was set to "Gecko G540 Drive Only" as my breakout board is a Gecko G540
Under "Bench Test DB25" the system runs perfectly.....no 9031 drive fault error. Note that I did not remove the Gecko or anything like that. I only selected the "Bench Test DB25" option under Axis Drive Type.
I am not actually using any of the functions that the Gecko can provide. Can I run like this?
Just seems strange that the setup was running perfectly with the old settings. Perhaps a fault within the Gecko breakout board?
Thanks for the help so far
DUP
Gary Campbell
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Gary Campbell »

Is there an input set as "DriveOk? (or one of the variations)
Do you have this input wired to a device to show a fault?
Which device?
IS it faulting?
Are you sure you have NO/NC set properly?
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

In the diagnostic screen (Alt i) top row of leds, far left, the first 8 LEDs are the inputs. Use your arrow keys to move the box around each one. Under the last row of LEDs, middle of the screen, as you cursor across the LEDs, a description of each will be shown (as you have them assigned in the Wizard)
Take a look at input 5, usually assigned to drive fault. Is it red or green?

The fact that you went from G540 drive only to DB25 bench test and it works, tells me you may have something incorrectly configured.

You likely don't have a drive fault configured in you DB25 bench test mode.

Have you double checked all your wiring per the Gecko Drive G540 Drive only schematic? Including the Estop wiring? I assume you have the charge pump switch on, on the G540?

ALWAYS post a fresh report when you make and report changes.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ