Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: ProbeApp V2: The ultimate solution for Tool Height Offsets

Post by swissi »

mrichards wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:21 am I did some testing with my Tormach probe and found that approach direction makes a huge difference. If I orient the probe so one of the sides of the probes kinematic “triangle” is in line with the probing axis, then I get +/-.002” repeatability. If I turn the probe 45 degrees, the repeatability drops to +/-.013”. In a multi axis probe the repeatability is random, depending on the approach directions involved.
There's definitely something wrong with that trip mechanism. This repeatability is way out of line even for a Tormach probe. I think the contacts need cleaning and special grease to prevent sparks and corrosion.

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
RogDC
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes

Post by RogDC »

I have been running the Probe App V2 in CNC Mill Pro 4.5 without any issues and beta testing the CNC Router and haven't had any issues with functionality. I upgraded beta versions from v6 to v8 , copied the probe folder as instructed and the probe app worked fine. Yesterday I installed the CNC Router Pro License on my CNC Router beta 4.59v8. Today I turned the machine on, tried to probe and received the trial expiration notice.

Then I realized the CNC Router Pro License is different than the CNC Mill Pro License. The app works as intended for the Mill Pro license when purchased. I've asked Swissi to kindly update my ProbApp license to the Router Version.

This is not an issue with the App, however something to be aware of when upgrading licenses.
Attachments
Probe App Trial Expiration.PNG
mrichards
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by mrichards »

swissi wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:47 pm
mrichards wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:21 am I did some testing with my Tormach probe and found that approach direction makes a huge difference. If I orient the probe so one of the sides of the probes kinematic “triangle” is in line with the probing axis, then I get +/-.002” repeatability. If I turn the probe 45 degrees, the repeatability drops to +/-.013”. In a multi axis probe the repeatability is random, depending on the approach directions involved.
There's definitely something wrong with that trip mechanism. This repeatability is way out of line even for a Tormach probe. I think the contacts need cleaning and special grease to prevent sparks and corrosion.

-swissi
For anyone else that has the Tormach probe, I found out what the problem was:
The probe shaft (the part that goes into your toolholder) is threaded into the body of the probe. At the factory, it looks like they didn’t seat the shaft all the way to the shoulder but did apply threadlocker (you could see daylight between the shaft shoulder and body). It appeared tight (because of the threadlocker) but had a few thou of play, which translated to >.010” out at the probe tip. I re-mounted the shaft and also permanently mounted the entire probe into a TTS toolholder The face of the toolholder is bonded to the back of the probe body with bearing retaining compound. It now has <.0005” TIR at the probe tip.
------------
Mark
swissi

Post by swissi »

RogDC wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:13 am I have been running the Probe App V2 in CNC Mill Pro 4.5 without any issues and beta testing the CNC Router and haven't had any issues with functionality. I upgraded beta versions from v6 to v8 , copied the probe folder as instructed and the probe app worked fine. Yesterday I installed the CNC Router Pro License on my CNC Router beta 4.59v8. Today I turned the machine on, tried to probe and received the trial expiration notice.

Then I realized the CNC Router Pro License is different than the CNC Mill Pro License. The app works as intended for the Mill Pro license when purchased. I've asked Swissi to kindly update my ProbApp license to the Router Version.

This is not an issue with the App, however something to be aware of when upgrading licenses.
The ProbeApp is linked to the license key of CNC12. Centroid has decided to make the Router version of CNC12 a separate product rather than making it a customized version of the mill and starting with Public Beta version 4.59 Rev 8 requires a new license key.

So if you switch over from a mill to a router license, the ProbeApp will no longer recognizes the key as a licensed key. If you have currently a ProbeApp Mill license and want to switch to the Router license, send me an email with your new license file and I'll send you a download link.

The ProbeApp has been tested with the Router version of CNC12 and there are no know issues at the moment. Should you find anything please let me know.

-swissi
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

rflopes3
CNC Control System Serial Number: 2752

Post by rflopes3 »

If I have the CNC12 4.5 do I need to update may app to the 4.59 R12 to be able to use ProbeApp v2 or not ?
swissi

Post by swissi »

rflopes3 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:09 am If I have the CNC12 4.5 do I need to update may app to the 4.59 R12 to be able to use ProbeApp v2 or not ?
The ProbeApp works with CNC12 version 4.50 for Acorn.

There are also several users using the ProbeApp with CNC12 v4.16 for OAK and AllIn1DC.

-swissi

rflopes3

Post by rflopes3 »

swissi wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:15 am
rflopes3 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:09 am If I have the CNC12 4.5 do I need to update may app to the 4.59 R12 to be able to use ProbeApp v2 or not ?
The ProbeApp works with CNC12 version 4.50 for Acorn.

There are also several users using the ProbeApp with CNC12 v4.16 for OAK and AllIn1DC.

-swissi
Ok my situation is: I have CNC12 4.5 Mill (FULL with all probe features) I will not switch to router or anything else so, what should I do to upgrade the probe routines to the new version ?
swissi

Post by swissi »

rflopes3 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:41 am Ok my situation is: I have CNC12 4.5 Mill (FULL with all probe features) I will not switch to router or anything else so, what should I do to upgrade the probe routines to the new version ?
The ProbeApp is a Windows application designed with a touch screen interface but you can use a mouse too. You install the app like a regular Windows app. The ProbeApp integrates with CNC12 trough the M58 command (mfunc58.mac). You can start the ProbeApp trough the ProbeApp button that the installer creates on the CNC12 Virtual Control Panel and you can integrate it directly into your workflow by adding a M58 command into your M6 tool change macro as an example. When you then run a job file and a tool change comes up, the ProbeApp will be launched and you can select what probing needs to be done. The ProbeApp will hand back a script to CNC12 to execute the selected probing cycles and when the probing has finished, the job file will continue until the next tool change occurs in the job file.

You can also run multiple probing cycles while the machine is in a M6 tool change hold. So in the first tool change you could not just do the measurement for the tool height offset but you could also run probing cycles to set WCS X0 Y0 for your part.

The ProbeApp is more or less a code generator. It will create ad hoc probing scripts based on the selections you make in the app and then generates the command scripts that will be handed back to CNC12 for execution.

Check out the ProbeApp User Guide for more details.

-swissi

rflopes3

Post by rflopes3 »

Nice BUT you did not answered my question. How can I download the version 2 of the probe app ? Its a new purchase or is just an upgrade ?
swissi

Post by swissi »

rflopes3 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:23 pm Nice BUT you did not answered my question. How can I download the version 2 of the probe app ? Its a new purchase or is just an upgrade ?
The ProbeApp is not a Centroid product and is available to all of my supporters. When I released version 2 I sent out an email with a download link to all supporters. If you are a supporter using an earlier version of the ProbeApp and you did not get my email or if you would like to become a supporter, contact me at the email address in the signature below this post.

-swissi