E415F6F70BC3-0318203049
98F07B91FC6B-0123236802
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: ProbeApp V2: The ultimate solution for Tool Height Offsets

Post by Nigelo »

The video Swissi posted above is certainly worth a look. Although the latency aspect can be allowed for to a large extent by following an accurate calibration procedure such as that provided by Centroid with their DP-4. For this purpose they provide a nominal 1" bore setting ring by SPI with the precise bore diameter stamped on it that is verified to within 0.0001" both diameter and concentrically (mine is shown as 0.99995"). It's also critical to ensure the ring is absolutely flat so that the bore presents itself perfectly parallel to your Spindle axis. Any inaccuracy here, tramming of the Z axis, compensated backlash, inconsistent probe etc will all affect the results.

No calibration can completely overcome a probe that does not accurately repeat so quality, especially repeatability, does matter. Using a 2 4 6 block is better than nothing but is limited to its verified dimensions and to what extent it's position on the machine table is perfectly aligned and that is not easy (at least without a calibrated probe, that is!!).
"You can lead a horse to water but you cannot force it to drink"
Hope this helps
Nigel
tuffduck
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by tuffduck »

Hello, a few screen shots running ProbeApp after the mfunc6.mac has been renamed, the configuration prompts have all been filled out. Not once did the machine move. Not sure what to do next. Photos are not ordering correctly. (Should Be 5,4,1,2,3).
Thanks

From other thread: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=5042&start=20
Thanks for the reply. The second picture in the thread you just posted here, I have never seen.
I am a woodworker, not a machine builder. I have created thousands of programs for cutting and carving wood but I have never written machine scripts.
Is you app to create a variable table of codes to use to create a working macro? If so, why not just have it write the macro itself? Why not include a link or a video on creating the macro using the information from your app, step by step?
Look at from my point of view...You are Steven Hawking and I am in Grade 3 asking you what is a star?
Attachments
Icon Pressed5.jpg
Icon Pressed4.jpg
Icon Pressed3.jpg
Icon Pressed2.jpg
Icon Pressed.jpg
swissi
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716

Post by swissi »

tuffduck wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:01 pm Hello, a few screen shots running ProbeApp after the mfunc6.mac has been renamed, the configuration prompts have all been filled out. Not once did the machine move. Not sure what to do next. Photos are not ordering correctly. (Should Be 5,4,1,2,3).
Thanks

From other thread: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=5042&start=20
Thanks for the reply. The second picture in the thread you just posted here, I have never seen.
I am a woodworker, not a machine builder. I have created thousands of programs for cutting and carving wood but I have never written machine scripts.
Is you app to create a variable table of codes to use to create a working macro? If so, why not just have it write the macro itself? Why not include a link or a video on creating the macro using the information from your app, step by step?
Look at from my point of view...You are Steven Hawking and I am in Grade 3 asking you what is a star?
Check my reply to your original post and provide the information requested here.

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
tuffduck

Post by tuffduck »

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=5042&start=10

All images and explanations added. I will all future info here. I thought I had this thread open at the time.
tuffduck

Post by tuffduck »

The machine was completed in July 2020. We have ran approximately 300 programs since then, machining mainly wood and Corian. We use Vectric Aspire to create the drawings and toolpaths. I have attached pictures of the machine and spindle. I am hoping to use the probe as a dual. First measurement taken from the top of the workpiece and the second from a fixed location at the front right hand corner.

The goal is to be able to run a program using multiple tools call ProbeApp for tool measurement when there is a tool change required.
Attachments
IMG_20201201_194742.jpg
IMG_20201201_195810.jpg
parameters4.png
parameters3.png
parameters2.png
parameters1.png
swissi

Post by swissi »

Copying this here from the original post. Let's keep this going here as reference.
tuffduck wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:39 pm Am I supposed to have a program for each tool path for each, run ProbeApp, load the required program and then run it?. Everytime I hit the ProbeApp icon, it just takes me through the setup again. When I hit the Cycle button it ends. The guide says to look at the mfunc6.mac and the probe_cycle files to see if they are correct. I have no idea what I am looking at.
I thought ProbeApp read ahead in the tool path and executed whenever a tool change command was called a d then continue d reading the tool path once ProbeApp completed.
You can have one job file that contains all tool changes. Every time the job file reaches a M6 Tool Change command, the mfunc6.mac file will be executed. The mfunc6.mac file will create a message to insert the new tool. When you confirm that message with Cycle Start, the ProbeApp-ToolSetter will open with the ToolSetter screen automatically and there's no need to press the ProbeApp icon. On the ToolSetter screen you chose either the Dual or Single TT Method on the top Tab and then touch the icon of the probing cycle you want to execute. The ProbeApp will then close. At that point you touch Cycle Start in CNC12 and CNC12 will execute the probing cycle to measure the tool height offset. After that probing cycle has finished, the job file will continue.

Let's do a quick check if a simple tool measurement works without running a job. Do the following steps:
  • Opne MDI in CNC12, type T2 M6 and press Cycle Start
  • CNC12 should bring up a message to insert T2
  • Insert T2 and press Cycle Start
  • ProbeApp should come up with the ToolSetter screen
  • Select the Single TT tab on top
  • Touch the icon left to "Set Selected WCS# for active Tool to Z0"
  • The ProbeApp should close now
  • Touch Cycle Start in CNC12 and you should be prompted to place the tool above the Tool Setter
  • Press Cycle Start and the tool measurement cycle should start
  • You should get another message that Z0 for this tool has been set on top of the stock
  • If you press Cycle Start again the cycle will finish
Use the mfunc6.mac file that I have attached. Run the steps above and if something doesn't work as I described, post screenshots with a description of what happened differently.

-swissi

mfunc6.mac
(4.34 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

tuffduck

Post by tuffduck »

Good Morning,
I replaced mfunc6.mac with your file and followed the steps. It all played out as you described. What is next?
I lowered the bit down to the stock and it is about 0.3mm above. Is this correct?
Is there a way to add the tool description to the message?
Thanks.
Attachments
test6.jpg
test5.jpg
test4.jpg
test3.jpg
test2.jpg
test1.jpg
IMG_20201202_115524.jpg
swissi

Post by swissi »

tuffduck wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:06 pm I lowered the bit down to the stock and it is about 0.3mm above. Is this correct?
If your Tool Setter was positioned on top of your stock when you measured Tool T2 and you lower now your Z axis with T2 in the spindle to WCS Z0, the tool should be exactly on top of your stock. If it is 0.3mm above it, that means that the height of your tool setter that you configured in the CNC12 Wizard is incorrect by 0.3mm. You need to adjust that height until the measured tool is exactly on top of the stock at WCS Z0.
tuffduck wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:06 pm I replaced mfunc6.mac with your file and followed the steps. It all played out as you described. What is next?
After you fixed the Tool Setter Height issue, you are ready to make parts. Just load your job file, mount your stock, set WCS X0 Y0 on your stock and get the job started with Cycle Start. If the job file reaches a M6 Tool Change, CNC12 will ask you to insert the tool and then the ProbeApp-ToolSetter will come up to set WCS Z0 for the new tool on top of the stock and the job file will continue until the next M6 Tool Change is needed and this will continue until your job is finished. It's that simple.

You have to decide if you want to use the Single or Dual TT Method. Based on the configuration screens you have posted you have both methods configured. With the single method you just measure each tool with the Tool Setter on top of your stock. With the Dual Method you measure the first Tool of the job with the Tool Setter on top of the stock and all the subsequent tools will be measured with the Tool Setter at the fixed location. Check out this Post here for more details on each method.

I don't know how you currently set WCS X0 Y0 as you don't seem to have another probing device than the Tool Setter. If you had a Touch Probe or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, you could also use the ProbeApp to set WCS X0 Y0.
tuffduck wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:06 pm Is there a way to add the tool description to the message?
There's currently no way I know off to programmatically access the Tool Description from the CNC12 Tool Library. If you would use Fusion 360 for your CAM and use my CNC12 specific Fusion 360 Post Processor, you would get all the Tool Information from the Fusion 360 Tool Library.

-swissi

tuffduck

Post by tuffduck »

Hi Swissi,
Thanks for all your patience helping me getting everything working. I have decided on single TT method and everything is now all wired in. I will look into a probe for other axis currently I just use "X marks the Spot".
Cheers
mrichards
Oak CNC controller: Yes

Post by mrichards »

I did some testing with my Tormach probe and found that approach direction makes a huge difference. If I orient the probe so one of the sides of the probes kinematic “triangle” is in line with the probing axis, then I get +/-.002” repeatability. If I turn the probe 45 degrees, the repeatability drops to +/-.013”. In a multi axis probe the repeatability is random, depending on the approach directions involved.
------------
Mark