Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

What all will I need for this 940?

Post by Justin2200 »

So I'm about to begin converting this PM940V (New variable speed model of PM's higher end bench mill) to CNC and I plan to run Acorn.

I'll be installing double ball screws and Nema34 mounts when I get them in. I know CNC operation and such but as far as circuitry, I could use some help.

1. Given that I'll be getting the Acorn CNC control kit, I'm assuming I do not need separate drives for each stepper motor? The motors wire directly to the acorn board?

2. Is the power supply in the kit enough to run all 3 axes steppers?

3. Also, what are some decent options for affordable closed loop steppers in the 1200 and 1600 oz range?

I've already built the computer to run this and my CAD/CAM package. It's a beast with a touch screen, 64GB ram, 8GB GPU, Ryzen 7 CPU, plenty of solid state storage. It's just waiting on the mill itself to get done. I do plan on running the wireless MPG pendant on the system.

Anyway, I guess the gist is, I need some guidance on what all I need to buy, and some recommendations for the Nema34 steppers.
115797336_2680335308910653_1720495200799173663_n.jpg
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: What all will I need for this 940?

Post by martyscncgarage »

Justin2200 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:08 pm So I'm about to begin converting this PM940V (New variable speed model of PM's higher end bench mill) to CNC and I plan to run Acorn.

I'll be installing double ball screws and Nema34 mounts when I get them in. I know CNC operation and such but as far as circuitry, I could use some help.

1. Given that I'll be getting the Acorn CNC control kit, I'm assuming I do not need separate drives for each stepper motor? The motors wire directly to the acorn board?

2. Is the power supply in the kit enough to run all 3 axes steppers?

3. Also, what are some decent options for affordable closed loop steppers in the 1200 and 1600 oz range?

I've already built the computer to run this and my CAD/CAM package. It's a beast with a touch screen, 64GB ram, 8GB GPU, Ryzen 7 CPU, plenty of solid state storage. It's just waiting on the mill itself to get done. I do plan on running the wireless MPG pendant on the system.

Anyway, I guess the gist is, I need some guidance on what all I need to buy, and some recommendations for the Nema34 steppers.
1: Acorn is a step and direction motion controller, you need to supply a Windows 10 PC that meets the minimum system requirements. https://www.centroidcnc.com/cnc_pc_perf ... web%20site.
You also have to provide the Axis Drives/Motors, and the power supply to drive the same. Acorn does not have any drivers built onto it.

2: No, the power supply that comes with Acorn is only to supply the power to Acorn.

3: Best thing to do is check with others (search your model number here) and see what they are using. I think your choices to go with close loop drives and motors is a good one. Do take care and figure out how much that head assembly weights and consider whether or not to counter balance it or to get a large enough axis motor.

You can download the Acorn Schematic set here:
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... matics.zip

You will need basic electrical/electronics skills to do a successful conversion.
Visit YouTube and search Centroid Acorn.

Good luck with your project!
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: What all will I need for this 940?

Post by martyscncgarage »

Also, what kind of spindle motor? Can you take a picture of the spindle motor label?
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ